_GOTOBOTTOM
Ships by Class/Type: Battleships
Topics from the Dreadnaught era to modern day.
Hosted by Steve Joyce
The biggest warship ever, but only just
bigal07
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 887 posts
Model Shipwrights: 575 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 11, 2011 - 12:28 AM UTC
The IJN Amagi heavy battlecruiser was never constructed along with her sister ships, this could quite easily fall into the realm of ''what if'' due to problems beyond my control, this has been my first OOB (out of the box)

OOB 010 by warship, on Flickr
Side by side one of the largest battleships ever constructed next to what could have been the largest heavy battlecruiser.

OOB 008 by warship, on Flickr

OOB 002 by warship, on Flickr
The Amagi is by Fujimi and in my view, this is a typically model you're find yourself building again, there are many parts that can be improved, and in places, an up-grade of etch wouldn't go a miss, this is a sort of blank for a better build the next time.
The single aircraft is basically a chucker, with wheels it was never designed to land back on the ship, neither was it going to float on the sea, Just how they recovered the pilot is open to imagination.

naval aircraft 004 by warship, on Flickr
RedDuster
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 7,078 posts
Model Shipwrights: 6,649 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 13, 2011 - 09:36 PM UTC
Interesting build Alec. The little spotter plane is a great peice of work.

In size she would be comperable to the Hood I would imagine. The position of Q turret looks a bit odd though, I presume not to intefere with the boiler / engine romm layout.

Thanks for sharing

Si
bigal07
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 887 posts
Model Shipwrights: 575 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 13, 2011 - 10:16 PM UTC
The aircraft was mounted middle turret aft, I can only imagine this would swing into the side wind to allow lift. By being located would also mean that these 3 guns couldn't be used when the aircraft was being prepared for launch, also (not shown on my build) the very front turret, below this was a number of small boats with no visible means of trasferring them on to the sea, in fact there are many strange things on this ship that just doesn't seem right, yes we could go round the houses and say this was never built in the real world, but I'd like to believe this model was based on something.
 _GOTOTOP