_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling: Super-detailing
Topics on photo-etch, metal-parts, and all types of additional detailing.
wooden decks
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Model Shipwrights: 833 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 02, 2011 - 04:53 AM UTC
I haven't tried wooden decks yet. I see from Goldenpony's Prinz Eugen that they fit around and over raised detail nicely. What concerns me is their thickness - obviously the thickness of the wooden deck + the plastic deck would raise the level of the deck slightly. Doesn't this have the effect of making raised detail look lower than it should be? Wouldn't low raised detail such as molded-on deck hatches,etc. appear lower than the deck itself? Does the plastic deck have to be slightly lowered more into the hull to compensate for the extra thickness so that the new deck level becomes flush with the hull edges? Or is the thickness of wooden decks so negligeable that it is not an issue?
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 03, 2011 - 05:18 AM UTC
the stuff is pretty thin. You still have the raised detail afterewards. I've used them on 4ships so far and have them for at least 5 others that I can recall.
goldenpony
Visit this Community
Zimbabwe
KitMaker: 3,529 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,419 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 03, 2011 - 11:26 AM UTC
Yes, the decks are really thin. Some of them can almost bee seen through

I really like the deck I added to the Prinz. It was my first, but will not be my last.

Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Model Shipwrights: 833 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 05, 2011 - 03:11 AM UTC
How about tips on it's installation? Are they self-adhesive? Are there any cautions on placing it? If you mis-align it the first time is it possible to remove it or shift it into proper location?
 _GOTOTOP