_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
new Tamiya Yamato first impressions
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 17, 2011 - 06:45 AM UTC
I'll skip right to the chase here

What the heck! were you guys thinking in designing the hull

If you are going full hull you have the lower hull in 2 large, 2 small and 16 photoetch (grills). The 2 small plastic is the keel end where the rudders go . The 2 main pieces are screwed together and there is a bit of a gap. HOw stupid

The upper hull is more complex. There are 2 more pieces that I guess would be the hull if you waterline it. They are also screwed together and then onto the lower hull assembly. NOt too bad here. The upper part of thehull is in 3 pieces the bow being one and then 2 pieces for the starboard and port . You guessed it screwed in as well.

The deck is another marvel. The front steel section then the wooden area then the rear flight area then the lower boat/hanger area. Ordinarily this would be great but the wooden section is in 3 pieces. One large one that goes from bow to stern area which is....OMG screwed down.....then 2 - 1/2 inch by 14" strips to cover that

What is with the screw downs Tamiya?. I guess it adds strenght but breaking the hull up like that is reminescent of their Enterprize where they just wanted to but it in a smaller box I guess. The Yamato box is plenty long enough as I put the assembled lower hull back into it. I really hadnt planned on doing this kit for a year or two...Still want to get the railing photetch and a real wood deck for it. But My main computer is down (I'm on dial up here) and I can't play WOrld of Tanks so I wanted to see how the hull thing worked as the directions made the assembly look complex. I will say the directions are good

Looking at the rest I think it will be a stellar kit worthy of teh Tamiya name. But the hull/deck fiasco really ticks me off
 _GOTOTOP