_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
newbie signing in
loftycomfort
Visit this Community
Canada
KitMaker: 12 posts
Model Shipwrights: 12 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 04, 2012 - 07:32 AM UTC
Hi all,

Allow me to intro myself. My name is Terry and I am new to this forum. I'm new to ship modeling, but not new to the modelling hobby - I've been building 1/32 jet kits for a while and am a ARC member.

I just purchased my first couple of ship kits, a USS Iwo Jima LHD-7, and a USS Independence LCS-2, both at 1/350. I'm very excited about starting the Iwo Jima soon, so I thought I'd join this forum to pick your brains on ship building techniques.

Ok, first question: what is the consencus on the best route for 1/350 figures on modern ships? I know Eduard makes figures PE, but they look "flat". Fujimi makes injection molded IJN figures that can be painted to any colors. Any other options that look good and are easy to procure? Thank you for your help.

Cheers,

Terry
Visit this Community
West Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 398 posts
Model Shipwrights: 292 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 04, 2012 - 08:06 AM UTC
Hi Terry,

We stock resin figures from L'Arsenal that are about the best you can find. Item AC 350-25 are figures in static poses, while AC 350-33 has figures in action poses. You can browse here:

https://www.whiteensignmodels.com/c/LArsenal/265/1/

or just type the item numbers into the Search function.

loftycomfort
Visit this Community
Canada
Posted: Wednesday, January 04, 2012 - 08:33 AM UTC
Thank you, John. Just ordered some from you.

Cheers,

Terry
robtmelvin
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
KitMaker: 205 posts
Model Shipwrights: 163 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 04, 2012 - 09:00 AM UTC
Welcome aboard, Terry. Always glad to greet a new member. So, you've been building large scale jet kits. Well, welcome to the dark side! LOL. I have to warn you, there is something addictive about ship models. Not sure what it is, but it seems like once you start building ships, you get hooked quickly.

Please feel free to join in the conversations and let us have your input. Remember, there is no such think as a stupid question, and we've asked what at the time we thought were "stupid questions", only to have a string of posts after ours saying "I'm glad you asked that". Lots of guys here who are very knowledgeable and very talented modelers who are more than willing and ready to share their knowledge and secrets with lesser beings.

One thing, we do love to oggle pictures of each other's builds. Nothing like like a little eye candy!

Bob
warreni
Visit this Community
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 5,926 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,624 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 04, 2012 - 09:56 AM UTC
Welcome Terry.
You will find that ships take a touch longer to complete than 1/32 jets and take up less real estate in the display cases so you can build more for a smaller space!!
My experience in this is with things like 1/32 F-105G Thunderchiefs and F-100 Super Sabres etc so I know how big 1/32 jets can get.
There is always someone here who will help if you need it as you have already found.
Cheers
Warren
loftycomfort
Visit this Community
Canada
Posted: Wednesday, January 04, 2012 - 02:31 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Welcome aboard, Terry. Always glad to greet a new member. So, you've been building large scale jet kits. Well, welcome to the dark side! LOL. I have to warn you, there is something addictive about ship models. Not sure what it is, but it seems like once you start building ships, you get hooked quickly.

Please feel free to join in the conversations and let us have your input. Remember, there is no such think as a stupid question, and we've asked what at the time we thought were "stupid questions", only to have a string of posts after ours saying "I'm glad you asked that". Lots of guys here who are very knowledgeable and very talented modelers who are more than willing and ready to share their knowledge and secrets with lesser beings.

One thing, we do love to oggle pictures of each other's builds. Nothing like like a little eye candy!

Bob

Thank you, Bob.

I don't have any naval eye candies to share now. How about a 1/32 F-100 Thunderbirds that I just finished building today? I'm hope it's not a faux pas to post non-ship models around here, if so apologies.

Cheers,

Terry
loftycomfort
Visit this Community
Canada
Posted: Wednesday, January 04, 2012 - 02:33 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Welcome Terry.
You will find that ships take a touch longer to complete than 1/32 jets and take up less real estate in the display cases so you can build more for a smaller space!!
My experience in this is with things like 1/32 F-105G Thunderchiefs and F-100 Super Sabres etc so I know how big 1/32 jets can get.
There is always someone here who will help if you need it as you have already found.
Cheers
Warren

Hmm I'm not sure, Warren. I plan on building some 1/350 ships, and those will likely take up a tad more space than 1/32 jets. LOL. Cheers.

Terry
warreni
Visit this Community
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 5,926 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,624 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 04, 2012 - 03:39 PM UTC
Nah mate.. They are longer but much narrower than the aircraft. When you get to the destroyers they take up far less real estate.
The real big ones are the 1/200 ships like the Arizona. Now that takes up some room!
grayghost666
KitMaker: 2,458 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,423 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 04, 2012 - 07:28 PM UTC
Hello Terry,
Welcome to the wet side of the modeling world.

There are always campaigns running here also, So I invite you to take a look at them and see if any of them might be interesting to you.

Please do not be afraid to ask questions, That is the only why you learn. I ask a zillion questions when i joined up and I still am asking them as I am still learning about building ship models.

Again Welcome to MSW
Cheers,
Bruce
Campaign Administrator
Gremlin56
KitMaker: 3,897 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,301 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 04, 2012 - 10:58 PM UTC
Welcome aboard Terry, the natives might seem scary but actually they are a very friendly lot
Cheers,
Julian
RedDuster
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 7,078 posts
Model Shipwrights: 6,649 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 05, 2012 - 02:14 AM UTC
Hi Terry,

welcome to the board.

What Julian said.

Also as he appears too modest to mention it, look in on his LHD-1 Wasp build log over on the Dockyard Forum, you should find informative as you have a sister to build.

Si

blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Friday, January 06, 2012 - 05:14 AM UTC
You will find a wealth of experience throughout the entire kitmaker network. Folks will treat you with courtesy and respect and you will find a great comraderie here. I wish you many happy hours of building ships and hope you will explore all avenues of it. Tackle one of the big Nuc carriers in 350 scale for a real treat. You can also get your jet fix doing one of them.....LOL
 _GOTOTOP