_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
Photo etch railing set for new Yamato
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 08, 2012 - 06:56 PM UTC
I have seen some pictures of this set and have some questions. IS this a railing set in the traditional sense of the complete rail and linking chains btwn.....or is it just the posts and you sting wire btwn them. (IMagine the hours of screaming fits with this method) I am looking to get the rail set, but if it isn't the cut out and glue type I will get some other set.
TracyWhite
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 527 posts
Model Shipwrights: 464 posts
Posted: Monday, January 09, 2012 - 04:35 PM UTC
Individual stanchions
One
by
one
by
one.
:|
I'm going to wait for someone else's set.
warreni
Visit this Community
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 5,926 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,624 posts
Posted: Monday, January 09, 2012 - 05:59 PM UTC
Yep, drill a hole, insert stanchion, multiply hundreds of times.. Then thread the thin wire through them all.. Try to get droop right.. bwhahahaha.. (lunatic laughter).. Hmmm.. I have the set...
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Monday, January 09, 2012 - 11:33 PM UTC
I guess i will find a GMM or a generic Japanese railing set. Lunacy is not in my family tree. I did order that Pontos wooden deck. I had a $5 rebate from ebay so decided to pick that up.
robtmelvin
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
KitMaker: 205 posts
Model Shipwrights: 163 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 10, 2012 - 03:47 AM UTC
First, I don't see the new Yamato in my immediate future. Too many other ships on the waiting list and a desire to take a shot at resin. But, having said that, I'll still comment on the "railings" with individual stanchions and having to rig wire, thread, whatever between them. Talked to my Dr. about this and he told me it was a sure fire way to cause my bleeding ulcer to break loose and probably kill me. So, under Dr.'s orders, I think I'll pass. LOL. Even if the bleeding ulcer didn't get me, my sanity would surely take a hit it can't afford.

Bob
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, January 10, 2012 - 05:57 AM UTC
I think with this whole kit / goodies Tamiya will lose its rep for kits that "fall together". I wasn't too happy with the 8 piece hull (not including braces and screws) but a rail set like this is ridiculous. Still all and all this is my favorite ship bar none. Looking at the deck setup they may release an initial configuration version...which will make me wish I had waited....though I will look at it closer and may do that on my own.
 _GOTOTOP