_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
1/35 PT 109 by Italeri
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 2,531 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,244 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 04, 2012 - 03:40 AM UTC
There is a very interesting photo taken at the the Nuremburg Toy show posted on another website. Just below a picture of Italeri's new Pier Side kit is visible the top of a box labeled JFK's PT 109, in 1/35. Going by some unused openings in the deck of the original ELCO kit, I thought it was a just a matter of time before it would be released, and it looks as if that time is coming. The wife is going to kill me! Al
robtmelvin
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
KitMaker: 205 posts
Model Shipwrights: 163 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 04, 2012 - 10:00 AM UTC
I'm excited at the prospect of a 103 class Elco 80 footer. Hopefully Italieri is not just reboxing the 596 with different weapons and early torpedo tubes, since there are significant differences between the 103 class and late war boats' superstructures. I doubt I'd do the 109 itself, I've done her in 1/72, but I'm sure there will be a wide range of after market PE and resin that follows on this release that would let us do our favorite '43-'44 103 class boat. Like you, the C-in-C is gonna kill me! Darned things gonna be too big to sneak into the house.

Bob
alross2
Visit this Community
Maine, United States
KitMaker: 317 posts
Model Shipwrights: 308 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 04, 2012 - 04:30 PM UTC
Yup, there are a lot of boats more interesting than the 109. For instance, RON9 boats carried a 20mm on a MK12 mount in the forward turret.

Al
robtmelvin
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Saturday, February 04, 2012 - 04:47 PM UTC
For those interested, a pic of the model itself just appeared over on Steel Navy. Looks like Italieri is going to give it to us. Also looks like they did more than slap 103 Class armament on the 596 hull and deck. The lines look right for a 103 Class Elco boat to me.

Bob
madeinengland
Visit this Community
Roskilde, Denmark
KitMaker: 47 posts
Model Shipwrights: 25 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 05, 2012 - 02:36 AM UTC
Sounds great, but I cant find the picture you write about, any chance of a direct link.

aye
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, February 05, 2012 - 02:49 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Sounds great, but I cant find the picture you write about, any chance of a direct link.

aye

Here's the link:

http://i1085.photobucket.com/albums/j425/AlertFive1/Eyes%20of%20the%20Fleet/PT10935THSCALE.jpg

This is a different photo, it is one of the actual model. It was posted on another site. Al
AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,919 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 05, 2012 - 06:01 AM UTC
This is interesting News as it an early version I was most interested in building.

Box pic under the dock

http://data4.primeportal.net/models/thomas_voigt6/italeri/images/italeri_12_of_24.jpg

Al
madeinengland
Visit this Community
Roskilde, Denmark
KitMaker: 47 posts
Model Shipwrights: 25 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 05, 2012 - 07:21 AM UTC
Thanks Al and Alan,
Looks like the wallet is going to creak again.....

blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 05, 2012 - 09:58 AM UTC
I waited and I waited and finally gave in and bought the other one NOw they do the early elco. MAybe we can get a few parts to kind of backdate the other one
robtmelvin
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Monday, February 06, 2012 - 04:12 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I waited and I waited and finally gave in and bought the other one NOw they do the early elco. MAybe we can get a few parts to kind of backdate the other one

Unfortunately, it takes more than just a few different parts to back date the 596 kit. The forward turret is set well forward and has a forward tilt to it on the late war Elcos as opposed to the 103 Class mid-war boats. It would take a bit of scratch building to correct the differences. If somebody wants to take on the task, Garth Conelly has a book out on detailing and/or modifying the 596 boat.

I'm assuming, and you know what that does, that Italierie has re tooled the deck to show the correct superstructure for a 103 Class boat. I'll be very disappointed if they have simply included mid-war torpedo tubes, a mid--war Oerlikon, etc., and left us with the late war hull.

Bob
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Monday, February 06, 2012 - 08:12 AM UTC
I think I would just be happy for the early style torp tubes
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, February 06, 2012 - 08:23 AM UTC
"I'm assuming, and you know what that does, that Italierie has re tooled the deck to show the correct superstructure for a 103 Class boat. I'll be very disappointed if they have simply included mid-war torpedo tubes, a mid--war Oerlikon, etc., and left us with the late war hull." [Quote]

The photo of the model is a bit blurry, but I don't think Italeri is adding just a few cosmetic changes. I've built the '596' and this new version looks very different to me. If you look at the starboard (forward) turret, it appears that it has been moved . There is a definite gap visible behind it. The roof of the Day Cabin looks different, it has the ventilator at the rear. The cockpit is just barely visible, but the little that can be seen also looks different to me, as does the roof of the radio room. There are also visible differences in the engine room hatch and ventilators between the two kits. When I built the original kit, there were numerous holes under the deck that needed to be opened up. There were also a lot of unused holes that weren't to be opened up, and there were some extra decklights molded in aft, that would later be covered up by the 40mm mount. I thought at the time that these could be signs that an early war boat would be coming along eventually. I wouldn't be surprised if a third version shows up, combining parts from both kits to make a 'Mid-war' boat. Many of the early boats were upgraded with several of the features included in the '596' kit. I hope the after-market guys are on the ball. There is a lot of opportunity here for modification. Al
VANDY1VX4
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 83 posts
Model Shipwrights: 8 posts
Posted: Monday, February 06, 2012 - 05:40 PM UTC
I guess I can throw out that Lindberg PT 109 . I to also want a mid war Elco, 362 - 367 Terminal Island built boat. Also hope they include the early and mid production radar. No 37mm Anti tank gun on the deck?
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, February 08, 2012 - 09:32 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I guess I can throw out that Lindberg PT 109 . I to also want a mid war Elco, 362 - 367 Terminal Island built boat. Also hope they include the early and mid production radar. No 37mm Anti tank gun on the deck?

If you do plan to toss it....send me the torp tubes

Looks like they have made teh 596 OOp. Don't see anyone with it. So i might hang on and not touch it and maybe do a trade when the early comes out.
robtmelvin
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Wednesday, February 08, 2012 - 09:42 AM UTC
I'm just about ready to start on my 596. Looks like a pretty straight forward build just reading through the instructions. Of course, I had to splurge for the LionRoar upgrade set, so I'm sure that will up the difficulty factor considerably. Planning on using what I'm comfortable with and let the rest slide. But I'm really looking forward to getting my hands on styrene on this one. Big is not always better, but this one does look sweet and all the reviews I've read have been very favorable.

Bob
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, February 08, 2012 - 10:22 AM UTC
Hello Bob, just a word of warning, you should replace the prop shafts with brass rod when building the '596'. The plastic ones are easily broken (ask me how I know). The kit is a joy to build, the fit of the parts is excellent, and there were no major problems in assembly. The only real putty work needed is to blend in the 'rub rails' along the bottom edge of the hull. The only (minor) problem I had was lining up the exhaust mufflers, there was no real positive alignment. Al
VANDY1VX4
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 83 posts
Model Shipwrights: 8 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 08, 2012 - 02:42 PM UTC
blaster76 Hello If I do toss it out. You can have the torp, tubes I will keep the hull for John Wayne's Yacht out of Newport CA. Send me a PM with your contact info. I will keep it on file for them. Cheers Danny
robtmelvin
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Wednesday, February 08, 2012 - 10:37 PM UTC
Al, thanks for the heads up on that little trap. I usually do replace plastic prop shafts with brass when I can without too much surgery, but I'll definitely make a point of doing it with the 596. I can guess how you learned about this - just like I learn about a lot of things, the hard way! LOL.

Thanks again,

Bob
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Friday, June 22, 2012 - 03:52 PM UTC

I saw this on another site. It shows the 37mm A/T gun on the fore deck even though the photo from Nuremburg doesn't.

Might have to reconsider adding this to the 'flotilla'. No release date yet. Al
AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,919 posts
Posted: Friday, June 22, 2012 - 07:45 PM UTC
Hi Al,

Thanks for the update, 109 doesn't really interest me but this style of boats does as it has beautiful clean lines and it does away with the nned to try and alter the original boat.

Happy days.

OK send your wish list to Italeri, mine goes:

New LCA
New LCPL
New LCP(R)
New Vosper Type II
New LCT Mk Iv
New LCI (S)
Fairmile D

All 1/35 scale of course . I'd settle for the front end of the LCT and LCI, although the full monty would be better!

and something else I just came across

LC Support (small)

that is cool.

Cheers

Al
tomdekruijff
Visit this Community
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 100 posts
Model Shipwrights: 99 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 24, 2012 - 11:30 PM UTC
Yes ,if seen that box art , and i wonder if we can expect a 37mm ATgun from Italeri.
They already had one on the Dodge Weaponcarrier(the old Testor kit) just need to to the bottom part. And if we"r lucky a new tooled one ,would be even nicer.
TdK
dioman13
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 2,184 posts
Model Shipwrights: 204 posts
Posted: Monday, June 25, 2012 - 11:28 AM UTC
I will deffinitly be getting this one. Great choice of dio settings. Leaning towards the barrge buster set-up or dropping off a detatchment of Alamo scouts. Would anyone have any good pics of Japponese landing craft or barges? The pics I have of the landing craft are very fuzzy and hard to pick out any detail. Can't tell if they are wood or metal. I'm looking for those used around the Guadalcannal area of ops. and time. And I don't have to sneak this one into the house, wife said go for it.
 _GOTOTOP