_GOTOBOTTOM
Ships by Class/Type
For discussions on ships by class and type.
U.S. Sub Chasers
Totalize
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 743 posts
Model Shipwrights: 7 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 14, 2012 - 07:31 AM UTC
Thanks very much Al for posting these profiles. The first one might be close to my Dad's boat. He was the rear AA gunner on his boat.

Thanks again.
Dave.
TGarthConnelly
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 875 posts
Model Shipwrights: 872 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 14, 2012 - 08:33 AM UTC
Al (Ross),

How big is that wooden kit of the 83 footer? Would you consider selling it to me?

If you would - please contact me offsite - I think you have my email address. If you don't - just ask John Lambert or John Snyder. Please?

Garth

alross2
Visit this Community
Maine, United States
KitMaker: 317 posts
Model Shipwrights: 308 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 14, 2012 - 11:04 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Al (Ross),

How big is that wooden kit of the 83 footer? Would you consider selling it to me?

The 83' kit is 1/64 scale and the hull is about 15.5" long. I only have the one, so am not interested in selling it. From time to time, they show up on eBay, which is where I got mine.
TGarthConnelly
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, June 15, 2012 - 01:22 AM UTC
So, would you consider selling it? I've always wanted a model of the 83-footer.
TGarthConnelly
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, June 15, 2012 - 04:28 AM UTC
Also, Mr. Ross?

How's the detail on that kit?

Garth
alross2
Visit this Community
Maine, United States
Posted: Friday, June 15, 2012 - 11:21 AM UTC

Quoted Text

So, would you consider selling it?

Apparently, you missed my comment in my previous message that I wasn't selling it.

This is a traditional wooden kit from the 1940s, so it is of questionable accuracy, although it looks relatively convincing. The fittings provided are quite basic and appear to be cast from some kind of "pot metal" rather than lead (the latter being more typical of the period). These kits require a lot of building rather than assembling. The pilot house shell, for instance, is simply printed on card stock and must be fitted around a frame built by the modeler. There are no resin or photo-etched parts. A skilled builder, using the actual CG drawings and a lot of scratch-building, could produce a nice model from this kit, though.
TGarthConnelly
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, June 16, 2012 - 01:15 AM UTC
Sorry, I saw your comment of not getting around to building it and took it as to mean that you MIGHT be "willing" to considering selling it at some point. I do apologize for my "mistake" Mr. Ross, I meant no offense.

OK, IF I were to find one, is it something that Stan Pienkowski could modify and enhance, Mr. Ross?

Garth
alross2
Visit this Community
Maine, United States
Posted: Saturday, June 16, 2012 - 02:31 AM UTC

Quoted Text

OK, IF I were to find one, is it something that Stan Pienkowski could modify and enhance, ?

Garth

Having seen photos of the projects he's done for Frank Andruss, I think he would do a nice job.
TGarthConnelly
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, June 16, 2012 - 02:49 AM UTC
Mr. Ross, or may I publicly call you Al?

You say that these kits come up on Ebay from time to time, correct? With what frequency do they appear?

Because, I REALLY want one of those kits; I'd give up my wish to be back at work to get one. Thank you.

Garth
alross2
Visit this Community
Maine, United States
Posted: Saturday, June 16, 2012 - 07:58 AM UTC

Quoted Text

You say that these kits come up on Ebay from time to time, correct? With what frequency do they appear?

They appear on eBay very infrequently, perhaps once or twice a year. Search for "sub buster", as that's what is on the kit and how they are usually listed.

Al
TGarthConnelly
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, June 16, 2012 - 10:28 AM UTC
Sub Buster? Thank you.
Totalize
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 743 posts
Model Shipwrights: 7 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 17, 2012 - 12:37 AM UTC
Just an update on my goal of finding my Dad's boat that he served on during the war. When i showed him a picture of a 110 foot boat (SC497 class) he thought the profile was too curved. He also said was pretty sure his boat was steel and the 20mm gun that he manned aft of the bridge was a good distance away. So I showed him a 173 foot Subchaser/PC-461 class boat and he said that his boat looked more like these type. Now he is 91 years old as I said so his memory is not the greatest but we shall see. I am anxious to get his service records.
TGarthConnelly
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, June 17, 2012 - 01:33 AM UTC
Then, it probably was a PC and not a SC.
 _GOTOTOP