_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
"zippo" boats in Vietnam
daredevil
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 54 posts
Model Shipwrights: 0 posts
Posted: Friday, October 31, 2003 - 01:50 PM UTC
Has any manufacturer made a model of the "zippo" boats used on the rivers in Vietnam to clear vegetation? I found some interesting info on them on the web & would like to build one. Is one available or will this be my first scratchbuild project?
--daredevil
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 4,268 posts
Posted: Friday, October 31, 2003 - 02:04 PM UTC
If you go to this LINK , you'll see a listing for VB3 US$ 39.00 Monitor Flame Thrower (Zippos) almost at the bottom of the page. The page is from "Military Miniatures Magazine
Online Shopping Guide".

I have no idea what or who's kit it is though, nor if it's pre or un built one. Hmmm...
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 01, 2003 - 06:15 AM UTC
It was listed under 20mm grouping isn't that 1:72nd scale? Might be what you are looking for, or can use it to get dims on making it 35th
Havoc
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 893 posts
Model Shipwrights: 85 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 11, 2003 - 06:49 PM UTC
If you're looking for a 1/35th scale Vietnam Riverine Monitor (M-132 flamethrower turrets were added, turning them into Zippo boats), a Spanish company called Nimix makes one in resin. It's beaucoup expensive at about $307.00 plus shipping...

Haven't build mine yet (still recovering from the shock of the price tag ), but it's a pretty good BUT NOT PERFECT kit!! Still it's the only game in town, and I'm looking forward to jumping into it in 2004!

Aloha,

Johnny B
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Model Shipwrights: 51 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 12, 2003 - 06:21 AM UTC
Here is a site where a guy has built some awesome monitors and other Brown Water Navy Craft. I have tried to e-mail him a few times with no response. Maybe someone else will have better luck. Mobile Riverine Force Productions
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,000 posts
Model Shipwrights: 453 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 12, 2003 - 02:28 PM UTC
Howdy HeavyArty,

I am aware of the site, and HAVE been in contact with Mr. Carrico (plus a few others of his acquaintance). He told me then that he was active duty and was being deployed for an indeterminate amount of time. I have not tried to contact him since, so my only opinion of his not responding to your attempts is that his is....'still deployed'. You are right as well. His work is extremely well done, and he seems to know his material. He told me he had become friends with some of the BWN alumni and was welcomed into their circle of friends. He was also building ships for some of the members for their reunions and sweepstakes contests. He was also kind enough to put me in touch with some of them as well. With any luck he will respond soon to you enquiries.

Tread.
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Wednesday, November 12, 2003 - 07:01 PM UTC
TreadHead,
I fully understand the long deployments. Just got back from 6 months in Iraq a few months ago myself. Hope he is well and returns safe and sound. You wouldn't happen to have any info on Monotors or ATCs would you. I have been wanting to build my own but can't seem to find the right resources, such as plans and/or drawings to do so.
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 5,957 posts
Model Shipwrights: 97 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 13, 2003 - 01:42 AM UTC
U.S. Small Combatants, Including Pt-Boats, Subchasers, and the Brown-Water Navy: An Illustrated Design History is a book worth looking into

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/stores/offering/list/-/0870217135/all/ref=dp_pb_a/002-9899345-0723247
daredevil
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 54 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 13, 2003 - 04:09 AM UTC
I sent an email to Mr. Carrico last week & he replied the next day. Fairly chatty and willing to share information ( I asked him about a technique that he used).
As far as the "Zippos" & Monitors, it appears I may have to scratchbuild one--which I am entirely willing to do considering all the reference material I've acquired (including schematics with dimensions, etc.). There are so many wonderful Vietnam websites out there and most of the folks are very friendly (which figures, since they pretty much got short-shrift in the "props" department after that "war"--they WANT people to know what they went through).
Until I get around to the zippo project, I am working on a 1:48 RAG boat that came as part of a "Rambo" kit that included a huey. There's not much to the boat, so I am trying to add little touches to make it more interesting. After that I have the Tamiya PBR waiting for me and the Dragon LSSC.
Thanks to all that replied to my initial question.
--daredevil
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Thursday, November 13, 2003 - 05:10 AM UTC
Daredevil et all,
I too e-mailed SFC Carrico and got an e-mail back this morning. He is apparently back from deployment and ready to jump back into modeling.
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,000 posts
Model Shipwrights: 453 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 13, 2003 - 05:41 PM UTC
Howdy all,

First, to HeavyArty. Allow me to take the time to personally say "Thank you" to you for your service to our country in such a conflict. My hat is off to you.
Regarding info on the BWN vessels, apparently 'daredevil' has both schematics and dimensional drawings. This is good. Mr. Carrico had told me that he had such information, but didn't have the time/facilities to make copies of his drawings. Possibly 'daredevil' has gotten hold of copies of these drawings. I had planned on carving a 'master' out of Basswood based on dimensional drawings, so, daredevil, if you have these drawings please share them with us so that one of us can possibly begin scratchbuilding one of these intriguing inner waterway vessels!!

Tread.
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 5,957 posts
Model Shipwrights: 97 posts
Posted: Friday, November 14, 2003 - 12:36 AM UTC
I'd love a set of plans too!!!!!!
 _GOTOTOP