_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
A Day That Will Live in Infamy
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 2,531 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,244 posts
Posted: Friday, December 07, 2012 - 06:37 AM UTC
Sad to say, that may not be true much longer. It seems fewer and fewer people remember what happened this day 71 years ago. Al
Gremlin56
KitMaker: 3,897 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,301 posts
Posted: Friday, December 07, 2012 - 06:54 AM UTC
I remember Al,
Julian
ejhammer
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 230 posts
Model Shipwrights: 136 posts
Posted: Friday, December 07, 2012 - 07:05 AM UTC
I too remember, and try to teach my grandchildren the history as well.

EJ
apalella
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 66 posts
Model Shipwrights: 23 posts
Posted: Friday, December 07, 2012 - 09:56 AM UTC
I'm go to the US Military Academy at West Point, and I felt like I was the only one here who remembered. Kind of odd...

-Andrew
russamotto
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 3,389 posts
Model Shipwrights: 151 posts
Posted: Friday, December 07, 2012 - 01:20 PM UTC
I asked my kids today and they all remembered. If we don't tell others, teach others and remind others, everyone will forget.
dioman13
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 2,184 posts
Model Shipwrights: 204 posts
Posted: Friday, December 07, 2012 - 01:38 PM UTC
It is unfortunate but true. I am afraid that this newer generation doesn't seem to grasp that remembering history is what helps use maintain a strong armed forces that ensures our freedom. As the saying goes, those who forget the past, are doomed to repeat it. Though I have talked to my daughter about it, it seems that history has no place in her busy life. I can only hope that some of her generation is listening or a real red dawn could be possible in their life time. Thanks to our Vets, past, present and future for our freedom!!!
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Friday, December 07, 2012 - 03:25 PM UTC
Hey did we quit when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?

Oh and read my signature
Red_Tory
Visit this Community
Canada
KitMaker: 102 posts
Model Shipwrights: 26 posts
Posted: Friday, December 07, 2012 - 05:19 PM UTC
Trumpeter seems to have remembered Pearl Harbor: I read today that a 1/700 USS Maryland in 1941 configuration is slated for a March 2013 release.
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
Model Shipwrights: 476 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 12, 2012 - 08:18 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Sad to say, that may not be true much longer. It seems fewer and fewer people remember what happened this day 71 years ago. Al

I'm almost a week late but here's my two-cents: fewer and fewer people remember what happened even three months ago, let along three generations ago. No wonder society is devolving.

My dad joined USN with two friends. USN recruiters promised them that they would all serve on the same ship. One friend went to a "Yippe" in Pearl Harbor and served aboard from 1940 through VJ Day. The other went to USS Houston. Dad was assigned to USS Arizona; in late 1940 or early '41 he managed to transfer to USS Houston, assigned to it until it was sunk in 1942.
TracyWhite
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 527 posts
Model Shipwrights: 464 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 13, 2012 - 05:03 PM UTC
Let me throw my two cents in here, as a Pearl Harbor historian.

The "greatest generation" was known as a generation of bums to their parents and elders before the war started. There was much decrying of the future. Then, the war started and they stepped up to the plate.

Kids these days have it easy and most of them do not know hardship, but there are many, many good kids out there who will and have been stepping up to the plate. Those kids, like the greatest generation, are not responsible for the state of the world today and are led down paths not of their choosing; many times, by older generations.

We have created a world that is too complex for any one person to be minimally competent. How many of you can fix your car, understand tax code, raise your own food, and wax eloquent on the fall of the Romans? You may remember Pearl Harbor, but how about Cartagena? This is the true expression of community, and we should embrace it. Not everyone should be interested in history, but they ought to know who to talk to when they have questions.

Learn as much as you can and be prepared to help others. Don't be afraid of having your own niche and don't shy away from learning about someone else' niche. Kids these days might not be interested in history, but is that their fault, or ours?
 _GOTOTOP