_GOTOBOTTOM
Ships by Class/Type: Submarines
Topics on submarines of all types and eras.
Polaris submarines
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Monday, February 18, 2013 - 04:07 PM UTC
I have found an incredible amount ofpost war submarine kits in 350 scale. A great deal of them in injection molded palstic and a company called Polar Bear picks up almost every russian (Soviet) class there was. I haven't found a 1/350 scale Polaris SSBN Geaorge Washington - Ethan Allen- Lafayette class. seems they were pretty significant beasts, I remember the old Revell/Renwall see through kits. Did someone make one (in 350)and it has just gone OOP? Possible one of the resin companies has one in the works ( found several early post WW2 American types as well)
_Viper_
Visit this Community
Roma, Italy
KitMaker: 163 posts
Model Shipwrights: 33 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 19, 2013 - 09:48 AM UTC
Hi there!

The only one I am aware of is the extremely limited availability Pit-Road USS George Washington.

It is in resin and it goes for quite steep prices whenever I have seen one. E-bay is a good place to keep looking as at least once a year one pops up.

I have not held one in my hands so I cannot comment on accuracy, but I have other subs from the same company and they are top-notch.

Here is a link with a very blurred picture

http://www.hlj.com/product/PITCS-08

HTH

blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Thursday, February 21, 2013 - 08:55 AM UTC
Thank you for that . It looks like a real nice version. I'll keep my eyes peeled for one
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Friday, February 22, 2013 - 09:22 AM UTC
It looks like Bluewater Navy also did a George Washington and a Simon Bolivar (Ben Franklin) I saw where they planned a Lafayette way back when....I think it was waterline. Maybe Blue Ridge or that Russin company Polar Bear may pop one out in resin...or even Bronco or Hobby Boss in injected....look like this type of vessel s opular iven eh large quantity of types available in this scale.
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, February 27, 2013 - 06:50 AM UTC
I GOT ONE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I found a Daniel Boone (Lafayette class--extended George Washington) at Hobby Link Japan. Cost $52 with $22 shipping. It was the last one too.

Now I need to add a Yankee and a Delta to complete my Boomer collection and they are both available. The Delta in both injected and resin and the yankee in resin
_Viper_
Visit this Community
Roma, Italy
KitMaker: 163 posts
Model Shipwrights: 33 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 27, 2013 - 08:08 AM UTC
Awesome!

I am glad also because it seems you got for an "almost" decent amount of money (heck, I paid that much for a Nazario Sauro + Vaestergotland, which are VERY small in 1/350)!

Good job!

Is it the PitRoad one or the Yankee Modelworks? Just curious.

Enjoy...and post pics here!!!

blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Thursday, February 28, 2013 - 06:41 PM UTC
Yankee Modelworks. I figure if I rn into a George Washington I'll pick it up too, I think it was some 20 - 30 feet smaller. need to research that a bit ....lol
Aurora-7
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 1,020 posts
Model Shipwrights: 630 posts
Posted: Friday, January 17, 2014 - 03:33 AM UTC
Old post but Revell IS going to re-issue the George Washington kit from Renwall.

Kit is light on surface detail and reputed to be inaccurate on the interior but it wouldn't be a full scratchbuild to add the details.

It is an important submarine class in the US Naval history so Ill be getting one, even if I just forget about the interior and concentrate on detailing the exterior.
dcook11
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 216 posts
Model Shipwrights: 84 posts
Posted: Friday, January 17, 2014 - 05:19 AM UTC
If this is the one with the interior with removable side. It is HIGHLY inaccurate. Having waged the Cold War in subs, it is a pretty laughable interior. I would love it if someone would do some 1/200 subs.
Aurora-7
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, January 17, 2014 - 06:23 AM UTC
Since it's hollow and in this world wide web world allows for many sources, accurizing is possible, but I plane on using sealing up the hing starboard side and just focus on the exterior.
dcook11
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
Posted: Friday, January 17, 2014 - 07:38 AM UTC
That's probably the best idea. But, even in this WWW era, I doubt if you could find an accurate diagram of the interior a Ballistic Missile boat. Not even one of the first ones.
Aurora-7
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, January 17, 2014 - 09:15 AM UTC
I've been on the Nautilus and I can see similarities what that Boat had with some cutout drawings I've seen and even with the kit. I figure the big mystery is with the reactor room layout.

But everything else would still be a big generalization.

But a nice, big 1/200 George Washington Class would be good to have even as an external only display.
dcook11
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
Posted: Friday, January 17, 2014 - 09:19 AM UTC
Surprisingly, the reactor room and the area aft are not that far off. The control room and berthing areas are way off. Like you said, though, a generalization.
jowady
KitMaker: 1,027 posts
Model Shipwrights: 51 posts
Posted: Friday, January 17, 2014 - 07:41 PM UTC
I remember having one of these back in the sixties. IIRC correctly it even had a spring loaded Polaris missle that you could "launch". In those days they were really impressive kits but I'm guessing accuracy was secondary. Frankly in those days I wonder how much cooperation they got from the Navy. Those boats were all cutting edge technology then.
 _GOTOTOP