_GOTOBOTTOM
Ships by Class/Type: Battleships
Topics from the Dreadnaught era to modern day.
Hosted by Steve Joyce
Fun project or The blind leading the blind
britbitter
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 55 posts
Model Shipwrights: 55 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 16, 2013 - 12:44 AM UTC
Having finished Big J (I'm happy with it and it was a blast), I was thinking about what to do next. I had planned to start Arleigh Burke but since I am going on vacation and will be on the beach for a week near Wilmington NC I have decided to try something interesting. With the help of my sister-in-law and my three nephews we will build Trumpeter's 1/350 USS North Carolina (BB55). It may not be pretty but it should sure be a lot of fun and when we're finished we'll take it for some photos with the real thing. I have Edouard detail kit and Pontos blue wood deck. If I'm lucky maybe I'll get one of the others interested in the hobby on a more permanent basis. I was thinking I would take lots of pictures and let you see how the project is coming (it'll probably be most disturbing!) if you shipmates would be interested. It might be quite amusing. :^D
John
bdanie6
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 615 posts
Model Shipwrights: 50 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 16, 2013 - 12:56 AM UTC
John, go for it! It sounds like it could be a fun and educational project
Later
warreni
Visit this Community
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 5,926 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,624 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 16, 2013 - 04:48 AM UTC
Here is some inspiration?? Same kit, same PE set..
britbitter
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 55 posts
Model Shipwrights: 55 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 16, 2013 - 04:58 AM UTC
That is freaking bonzer mate! Those barbettes are awesome and so tiny. Was the camouflage hard to do?
warreni
Visit this Community
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 5,926 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,624 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 16, 2013 - 09:38 AM UTC
The hull was masked and painted by airbrush, but the superstructure was all hand painted after the initial coat of grey.
You will have it a bit easier as you have one of the marvellous wooden decks. Just remember to nmake sure you give the deck a coat of paint before you apply the deck. They don't stick as well to bare plastic.
Here is some more inspiration..

Enjoy mate!
Cheers
Warren
 _GOTOTOP