_GOTOBOTTOM
Ships by Class/Type: Battleships
Topics from the Dreadnaught era to modern day.
Hosted by Steve Joyce
upgrade guns
johnmallam
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 98 posts
Model Shipwrights: 61 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 18, 2013 - 05:47 AM UTC
help please i am building musashi and have got sea master upgrade main and secondary guns .my problem is the new main guns on the model have some quarter circle bits that fit on the guns just in front of the blast bags the new ones dont if you have built this model any ideas what to do .i dont think i can cut down the guns as it would look strange anyway guys i wait for you reply best wishes john
melonhead
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 662 posts
Model Shipwrights: 67 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 18, 2013 - 06:06 AM UTC
if you could provide a picture of what you are referring to, it might help.
im working on the musashi, and another person here is doing the old tool yamato. so, we may be able to provide some info.
i know that when i had to put aftermarket barrels on, i had to cut some it off, but it was below the actual barrel and was just done so that i could fit it into the blast bag as if it was the original barrel.

If i am looking at the correct barrels for the sea master, there should not be much cutting that you would have to do.You may have to hollow out the blast bag a bit so that you can slide the actual barrel in, but that should really be it.
Without reference pictures, i can only assume.
warreni
Visit this Community
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 5,926 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,624 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 18, 2013 - 10:52 AM UTC

Quoted Text

help please i am building musashi and have got sea master upgrade main and secondary guns .my problem is the new main guns on the model have some quarter circle bits that fit on the guns just in front of the blast bags the new ones dont if you have built this model any ideas what to do .i dont think i can cut down the guns as it would look strange anyway guys i wait for you reply best wishes john

I know the frames you are talking of Sir and they were only used when they were ranging the guns, if you know what I mean. Most of the time they were not there.
johnmallam
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, July 19, 2013 - 04:10 AM UTC
gud day warreni thanks for info so you think it would be ok to cut back plastic barrels to blast bags and just fit new barrels cheers mate john
johnmallam
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, July 19, 2013 - 04:14 AM UTC
jesse will sent photo for you to see but warreni thinks there just used for ranging guns just to make sure before i cut them thanks for you help send pic over w/end
melonhead
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
Posted: Friday, July 19, 2013 - 06:06 AM UTC

Quoted Text

gud day warreni thanks for info so you think it would be ok to cut back plastic barrels to blast bags and just fit new barrels cheers mate john

i would pressume that it would be fine to cut them off right where the blast bag starts. if you check my build blog, you will see the barrels i fit on mine. i cut off the barrel where it meets the blast bag, drilled out the blast bag just enough to fit the "part nipple", and fit the part in so that it looked like the original part.
warreni
Visit this Community
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 5,926 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,624 posts
Posted: Friday, July 19, 2013 - 06:29 AM UTC
I don't want to mislead you John and I went back and read your post again and the things I am talking about are like small platforms that mounted on the barrels near the turrets. I don't think that is what you are talking about. Better upload a piccy or two to show what you mean before you go cutting bits...
Here are the things I am talking about

All after-market PE stuff..
Cheers
Warren
melonhead
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
Posted: Friday, July 19, 2013 - 08:40 AM UTC
one thing to note with the pictures that warren put, the barrels pictured had to be redone because they werent mounted right. rings on the barrels are suppsed to be much closer to the blast bags.

the barrels that you got, from what i found online, should not have much problem mounting. but, as warren said, i would posts some pics to save yoruself grief
johnmallam
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, July 20, 2013 - 05:27 AM UTC
hi warreni just need some help if you also know anything about computers as i know nothing much . i have taken pics of guns on my wifes i pad and transfered them to my lap top g mail in box and thats as far as i can go at the moment [not a clue] as what to do next to get them onto model shipmaker site to send on so if you know in very simple terms it would be very much appreciated ta mate best wishes john
 _GOTOTOP