_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
deck joining tip
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 02, 2003 - 08:48 AM UTC
One problem facing those of us building large scale is multiple piece decks. I for one have always had trouble with the seam lines showing. Sure fill it in and sand it down and there goes all that detail. Unless you are a world class scriber (which I'm not) it is real noticable. I posted the question on the ship website and got a real good response back. He said to apply a tiny amount of white putty to the joint crack, then brush some fingernail polish remover (unscented) on it. Make sure this remover has some acetone in it. It softens the putty up enough to make it lay down smooth. Practice makes perfect, and of course test the polish remover on the plastic first to make sure it doesn't melt it as well.
garrybeebe
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 1,969 posts
Model Shipwrights: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 02, 2003 - 02:37 PM UTC
That sounds like it would realy work, thanks for posting this Blaster !

Cheers,
Garry
Ranger74
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 1,290 posts
Model Shipwrights: 58 posts
Posted: Friday, January 02, 2004 - 11:16 AM UTC
You can also use "red" bondo car filler for the same technique. I have also used super glue to fill the gap then take super glue debonder on the Q-tip to remove excess superglue.
warlock0322
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,036 posts
Model Shipwrights: 0 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 03, 2004 - 08:39 AM UTC
I use plain old elmers glue for most of the seam lines. Place the glue in the seam with a piece of wire or your favorite applicator. Take a damp q-tip and remove the excess. It dries clear (so it will carry paint pigment) and smooth (no Sanding) and if watered down will also run into the detail so there are no breaks.

Paul
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 03, 2004 - 03:43 PM UTC
I found something else. Had read about MR Finisher 500 being a wonderful filler for small cracks/seam lines. Bought some through Great Models. Have used it on a Mig 15 kit and it is truely wonderful. It's a brush on application and I really think it'll do the trick with decks. I would highly recommend everyone getting some of this stuff for whatever you build. It's great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
 _GOTOTOP