_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
350 scale Nimitz
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 06, 2003 - 12:59 PM UTC
Trumpeter put an ad in this months Fine Scale MOdler announcing upcoming release of their long anticipated 350 scale Nimitz. Due in spring!!! They plan to include 20 aircraft with it. The ship will be the1975 version. So, the question is, how much has the ship changed since then....in terms of outward appearences. I wanted to make the Hornet a Yorktown but there were major bridge differences and $70 for a conversion was out of the question. I would like to put more modern aircraft on Nimitz than what they are planning to issue. Of course, they might do what they did with Essex and offer other versions, so maybe I won't try to be first on my block to have one. LIke to know how radical the differences are btwn say 75 and early 90's. When did she start using Tomcats?
garrybeebe
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 1,969 posts
Model Shipwrights: 0 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 06, 2003 - 01:12 PM UTC
Thats the smart way to play it Blaster, Wait untill its out for awhile. Let somone build it first to see if there are any problem area's. I like to do that with new kits.

Cheers,
Garry
viper29_ca
Visit this Community
New Brunswick, Canada
KitMaker: 2,247 posts
Model Shipwrights: 54 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 07, 2003 - 05:59 AM UTC
I never saw anything in the ad about F14s.....but trumpeter is going to sell sets of aircraft in boxes of 4 so that if you want more AC on the carrier you can buy extras.

You could always buy the 1/350 modern AC set from Tamiya...it had F-14s in it....as well they had the older set that had the F-4s.
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 07, 2003 - 09:02 AM UTC
I know about the Tamiya aircraft sets. I've got a bunch of those I bought for my yet to build Enterprise. What I might want to do is put them on a Nimitz class as well. So the issue is, would I have to do modifications to the Nimitz to show this. I've gone to bunch of ship/Nimitz sites, but have not found any mention of major appearance changes as what happened with the Nuclear Enterprise.(The whole island was rebuilt and changed on that one). Thinking about doing a Desert Storm or Iraqi Freedom version. So the next question would be are there any major differences in the first few Nimitz class ships? I would love to find a modification set for the Enterprise and do a Viet Nam deployment on her
 _GOTOTOP