_GOTOBOTTOM
Ships by Class/Type: Battleships
Topics from the Dreadnaught era to modern day.
Hosted by Steve Joyce
QE or Warspite?
Guy_Tombs
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 19 posts
Model Shipwrights: 14 posts
Posted: Friday, January 24, 2014 - 09:34 PM UTC
For the battleship campaign coming up in may I have narrowed my choices down to 2 kits but for the life of me cannot pick one or the other they are both trumpeter 1/350. I wanna do warspite because it's got all the history but then QE is a better looking ship in my opinion (even though there sister ships ) but seen as I'm gonna be doing a build log after Warren put the idea in my head, I thought I'd do a mini vote on what people would want to see! They will both be OOTB apart from the decks

Thanks Guy
RedDuster
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 7,078 posts
Model Shipwrights: 6,649 posts
Posted: Friday, January 24, 2014 - 10:21 PM UTC
Hi Guy,

This is a bit of bias on m part, I have the Academy Warspite & the Trumpy QE in my stash, so I would like to see the QE. Don't forget she has some history too, Dardenelles, admiral Beaty's flagship at the time of the surrender of the High Seas fleet, briefly served as flagship of the home fleet early in WW2, most famous as Admiral Cunningham's Flagship 1941-43 as CinC Mediterranean fleet, and after refit in the US saw action in the Far east. Not as dramatic as Warspite, and mostly forgotten, but worthy non the less.

Si
Gremlin56
KitMaker: 3,897 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,301 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 25, 2014 - 12:47 AM UTC
I would go for the QE, as Simon correctly points out a ship that was overshadowed by several other battleships but with a valiant history none the less.
amegan
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 996 posts
Model Shipwrights: 16 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 25, 2014 - 06:40 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I would go for the QE, as Simon correctly points out a ship that was overshadowed by several other battleships but with a valiant history none the less.

I hope the Valiant pun was intended
By WWII these two ships were quite different and both, in fact all 4 survivors gave excellent service. I would do Warspite, but I would do Warspite as Jutland when she was good looking.
CaptSonghouse
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,274 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,236 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 25, 2014 - 08:44 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I hope the Valiant pun was intended

If someone comes out with an Illustrious class CV, just wait for the puns. In 1945 Admiral Nimitz saluted the "illustrious" debut of the British Pacific Fleet to which Admiral Fraser replied to the effect that they would continue to fight "formidably, indomitably, implacably, indefatigably, and victoriously!"

--Karl
Guy_Tombs
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 19 posts
Model Shipwrights: 14 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 25, 2014 - 10:16 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Guy,

This is a bit of bias on m part, I have the Academy Warspite & the Trumpy QE in my stash, so I would like to see the QE. Don't forget she has some history too, Dardenelles, admiral Beaty's flagship at the time of the surrender of the High Seas fleet, briefly served as flagship of the home fleet early in WW2, most famous as Admiral Cunningham's Flagship 1941-43 as CinC Mediterranean fleet, and after refit in the US saw action in the Far east. Not as dramatic as Warspite, and mostly forgotten, but worthy non the less.

Si

And if I remember rightly she was sunk in Alexandria harbor with valiant or Malaya and they managed to patch her up and send her to the US

RedDuster
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 7,078 posts
Model Shipwrights: 6,649 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 26, 2014 - 12:25 AM UTC
Hi Guy, she was indeed, attack by Italian "Maiale" human torpedoes, both QE and Valiant suffered significant damage.

This attack was one of the prompts that led to the Royal Navy's failed attack on the Tirpitz with Chariots.

Si
amegan
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 996 posts
Model Shipwrights: 16 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 29, 2014 - 09:06 AM UTC
It was Valiant that was hit at the same time as QE and as the two ships were near visually identical you could build Valiant from the QE kit. Valiant seems to have been a bit unlucky in WW11 she was damaged when a floating dry dock collapsed, damaged in Alex by Luigi de la Penne and I seem to remember she caught a torpedo at some time.
 _GOTOTOP