_GOTOBOTTOM
Ships by Class/Type: Destroyers
This forum covers all types of destroyers from all eras.
Trumpeter 1/350 HMS Westminster
toby2282
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 195 posts
Model Shipwrights: 50 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 31, 2014 - 07:34 AM UTC
HMS Westminster (F237) is a Type 23 'Duke Class' Frigate belonging to the Royal Navy. She was launched on the 4th February 1992 and was the eighth of her class. There is not a great deal of information available about her deployments prior to 2004, when she was assigned one of the Royal Navy's first Merlin Mk.1 helicopters. She has then predominantly been deployed around the Far East as well as off the coast of Libya in 2011.

[/URL]

The kit depicts the ship prior to its 2009 refit, where the 'Kryten' turret was fitted as well as new 30mm guns that could be controlled indirectly. First look in the box is promising with a small etched fret alongside some well moulded sprues. For me the only negative comment to make at this stage is the lack of railings, which in my opinion should really be in there. The only alternative is to buy the update set from WEM, which doubles the cost of the kit!! That aside, I'm looking forward to getting her built.

I started with the hull which comprises two halves as well as a two part bulbous bow. The hull halves go together perfectly, but there are some large gaps when the bulbous bow parts are added. Despite numerous dry fitted attempts I could not negate the gaps. So it was out with the Mr Dissolved Putty and away with the gaps.

[/URL]

The build continued with the deck which went on perfectly with some Tamiya Extra Thin Cement. I purposefully left the flight deck off because I wanted to add the netting that is prevalent over the two aft openings. I'm sure I'll have some etched mesh that will suffice. This open part under the flight deck will then need painting prior to the deck being completed.

I managed to beat the carpet monster three times with some of the very small parts pinging off, one even striking me in the face first. I shaved off all the raised locating marks because I found the parts didn't sit well.

On the underside of the hull my propeller shafts were warped, which did have me a little concerned. However the two locating holes straightened them out as did the supporting strut in between them. I purposefully left the propellers off as I'll paint them separately and add them later. On this subject there is an interesting photo of a 'Duke Class' in dry dock showing that not all the shaft is painted red.

[/URL]

[/URL]

All the remaining fixtures and fittings were added to the deck and that was it for the day.

The next step will be painting the hull and deck as well as starting the superstructure build.
Cosimodo
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 1,808 posts
Model Shipwrights: 871 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 31, 2014 - 10:28 AM UTC
Hi Toby, it's a cool looking frigate and off to a great start.
And from that last photo, I see Trumpeter have not got any better at providing a base that in anyway matches the hull
Cheers
Michael
RedDuster
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 7,078 posts
Model Shipwrights: 6,649 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 31, 2014 - 10:42 AM UTC
Looking good Toby,

Will be following with interest, when my son was in the Sea Cadets HMS Westminster was his unit's "Chummy Ship" and have been on board her.

Si
Gremlin56
KitMaker: 3,897 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,301 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 31, 2014 - 06:24 PM UTC
Nice work and interesting photos Toby. Do they leave the shafts unpainted or are these just fitted and awaiting a coat of paint?

toby2282
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, May 31, 2014 - 06:50 PM UTC
Hi Michael. Thanks for the comments. Yes the base is rubbish. It's flat and doesn't conform at all to the shape of the hull. I'm looking at drilling a hole at each end of the support and putting a brass or plastic rod through it which will then be drilled into the hull. Hopefully this will make it more stable. What I should have done was to add some weight to the hull, but didn't. I won't be making that mistake again!!

Hi Simon. Do you happen to have any photos to share from when you went aboard?? There aren't too many around that show good detail.

Hi Julian. Thanks for your comments. My understanding is that the shaft is painted, but it's not painted entirely red. It's the only photo I've seen of the. Duke Class which shows the shafts in such detail. The shafts would appear to be painted black with copper coloured fittings, whilst the supporting struts are painted in the hull red colour.

Cheers

Toby
Gremlin56
Posted: Saturday, May 31, 2014 - 07:28 PM UTC
That will certainly make a more exciting color scheme underwater than plain old red anti-fouling.
toby2282
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, May 31, 2014 - 07:34 PM UTC
It will take some careful masking, although I'm going to give those white lines a miss.......or maybe I'll just go nuts and give them a try!
RedDuster
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, June 01, 2014 - 02:56 AM UTC
Wii dig through the memory sticks with my photos pre this computer on, should have something, will of course share.

Si
toby2282
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, June 01, 2014 - 03:21 AM UTC
Simon

Thanks very much. Your help is very much appreciated.

Toby
JJ1973
Visit this Community
Niedersachsen, Germany
KitMaker: 1,835 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,832 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 01, 2014 - 04:57 AM UTC
Hi Toby,

very interesting project, will follow with interest!

As for the shaft, I have to admit I have not seen a Type 23 in dry dock, but several other frigate type ships, the shafts are not usually painted. I am not entirely sure whether they are somehow coated or anything, from memory they feel from the touch pretty much like bare metal...

Jan
toby2282
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, June 01, 2014 - 06:17 AM UTC
Hi Jan,

I think the shafts must be coated with something to prevent corrosion, but for some reason not painted in the anti-fouling red. Maybe it has something to do with the new composition of the anti-fouling paint???

Regards

Toby
toby2282
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, June 01, 2014 - 08:19 AM UTC
Another dry dock photo showing a lip at the aft of the hull which needs to be added.

JJ1973
Visit this Community
Niedersachsen, Germany
Posted: Sunday, June 01, 2014 - 04:40 PM UTC
Hi Toby,

I saw a frigate in a dry dock some 20 years ago for the first time, anti-fouling was still nasty then with all the good stuff that was forbidden by environmentalist's later on, and the shafts were still black (ish). I was thinking along the lines of black-oxide finish, but that wouldn't make to much sense since it seems to be not overly endurable. They certainly never looked 'painted' to me.

The lip you are referring to at the stern is supposed to reduce fuel consumption. It would have been added later, USN started in the early 2000 to refit their ships with it. So make sure, depending on what time your Westminster is going to represent, that it really was there.

Looking forward to your next steps!!

Jan
toby2282
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, June 01, 2014 - 06:32 PM UTC
Hi Jan,

Thanks for the info. As my ship will have to be within the time period of 2004 and 2009 (The dates that she had a Merlin Mk.1 embarked) I am guessing that the lip would have been added during the 2009 refit. Therefore I won't need to add it to my build, as it would need the Kryten turret to be added and the new 30mm cannons. Her 2004 refit included the Towed array sonar Type 2087.

Hoping to make a start on the superstructure today and tomorrow, but I've got to wash my PT Boat and add primer first.

Cheers

Toby
RussellE
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 3,959 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,777 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 01, 2014 - 10:41 PM UTC
Nice work Toby, watching with interest...
toby2282
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, June 02, 2014 - 07:06 AM UTC
Small update today. I sanded the bow down, the results of how well will be determined by some primer. I started on the superstructure and found that some of the comments regarding Trumpeters etch was correct. It is awfully flimsy and was very difficult to bend without crushing it. Anyway my fat fingers did their best!!

Cheers

Toby

toby2282
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, June 02, 2014 - 10:42 AM UTC
One last missing photo. In order to add a bridge crew I drilled out the windows and then used a sharp blade along with some needle files, cleaned them up. Should look nice when completed.

I'll probably have to cut back some of the plastic on the bridge as it extends far too far. I can then add some figures.
JJ1973
Visit this Community
Niedersachsen, Germany
Posted: Tuesday, June 03, 2014 - 06:39 AM UTC
Nice work so far. This radar mast has an absolutely distinctive shape, I think it's pretty unique to UK build frigates. And the PE turned out really nice, I would say you tackeled that very good!

Cheers,
Jan
toby2282
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, June 03, 2014 - 06:43 AM UTC
Thanks Jan,

Unfortunately the etch is so flimsy that it's difficult to get the shape to match the plastic it sits on, which can be seen in the photos. If their etch was more stable it would allow handling to get it in the correct position. I may regret not getting the WEM upgrade.....
Gremlin56
Posted: Tuesday, June 03, 2014 - 07:26 AM UTC
You seem to be doing okay with the Trumpie PE so far Toby, just don't sneeze when handling it
toby2282
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, June 03, 2014 - 11:22 PM UTC
Hi again,

Another small update from last night. I completed the strcuture around the bridge. Cut back the plastic supports inside the bridge so that I can fit some figures inside. Again I had some issues with the flimsy photo etch but nothing that couldn't be resolved with some CA and accelerator.

I made a small error in attaching the two protruding levels as the decks will need painting a darker colour that the rest, which will now be a little more difficult. I won't be gluing the corresponding parts on the other side until they're painted.

The Harpoon missile launchers were test fitted and will require some sanding in order for them to sit correctly.

The bridge starts to take shape. Painting internally will be done from the underside so that I can get the roof on and the structure built around it.

This is the structure the bridge sits on.

The bridge takes shape. I've left the etch off on purpose as its very fragile and I need to paint the 'tower' structure before I add it as the rear of it is painted black.

Dry fitting of the entire structure. Aerials will be added later to simulate those missing from the kit.

View from the port side.

All comments welcome.

Toby
JJ1973
Visit this Community
Niedersachsen, Germany
Posted: Wednesday, June 04, 2014 - 05:48 AM UTC
Very nice and fast progress!

I was a little confused about the construction under the Harpoon launchers, puzzling what that might be actually good for...however, if you're looking for it, you can find it on some pictures. Maybe to contain leaking JP10 missile fuel should there be damage to true missiles...?

Looking at the two protruding elements you attached early, I would possibly consider to remove them carefully and re-attach after painting. That one looks really tricky...

Cheers,
Jan
toby2282
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, June 04, 2014 - 06:17 AM UTC
Hi Jan,

That's for the comments. From the construction of the etch parts at the bottom of the Harpoon missiles, I can only assume that they are some sort of blast deflector as there is a separate channel for each missile.

I'm going to have a look at the two mini decks and see if they can be safely removed or whether I have to paint them attached and it be a lesson learnt.

Cheers

Toby
JJ1973
Visit this Community
Niedersachsen, Germany
Posted: Wednesday, June 04, 2014 - 06:41 AM UTC
Toby,

very nice picture! Yes, for sure looks like blast deflectors. I've been together with Type 23's several times, but never paid attention to that very detail...but believe me, those Harpoon-things fly very well without deflectors

Cheers,
Jan
RedDuster
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, June 04, 2014 - 07:29 AM UTC
Coming on great Toby, nice pic of the blast deflectors.

Haven't forgotten I need to look mine out.

Si
 _GOTOTOP