_GOTOBOTTOM
Ships by Class/Type: Battleships
Topics from the Dreadnaught era to modern day.
Hosted by Steve Joyce
Which Musashi kit?
MikeMx
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 649 posts
Model Shipwrights: 10 posts
Posted: Monday, September 22, 2014 - 05:39 AM UTC
Which is considered the best Musashi in 1/700? Is it the 1998 Tamiya kit or the more recent Fujimi kit?

thanks
Mike
ajkochev
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 246 posts
Model Shipwrights: 221 posts
Posted: Monday, September 22, 2014 - 08:50 AM UTC
Honestly, both are great kits. I have built the Tamiya Yamato and own the Fujimi Musashi kit(unbuild as of yet). The Fujimi Musashi is somewhat more detailed but it is much newer. The Tamiya however was one of the best fitting kits I've ever build.

If you are planning to get a large aftermarket PE set anyway, you can't really go wrong with ether.
MikeMx
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, September 24, 2014 - 08:42 AM UTC
Here's the precise situation. After recently moving house I can't find my Tamiya 1/700 (1998) Musashi, it might be buried in a box somewhere but just in case it would be good to know what's now the best kit.

I'm building Tamiya's (1998) Yamato, and funnily enough built Yamato, Musashi and Shinano when they first came out, prior to my etching days but I wondered if the Fujimi one is considered better or more accurate. I've got Fujimi's 'Super' Yamato and it looks fine to me but I'm no expert!

thanks
Mike
ajkochev
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 246 posts
Model Shipwrights: 221 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 25, 2014 - 07:06 AM UTC
If you are doing OOB, Fujimi would be best as it has more detail.

If you plan on doing the large Lion Roar aftermarket PE sets the Tamiya should be fine as you'll be replacing half the parts anyway with aftermarket and the kit will likely be cheaper.
MikeMx
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, September 26, 2014 - 12:15 AM UTC
Well the Tamiya Yamato I'm building, I'm using Eduard's etch set (I'm a trader and get Eduard stuff at trade prices!)which provides quite a bit extra detail. I've also got GMM's Yamato set so I can mix and match where I think the GMM parts are superior or not in the Eduard set.

The Yamato is for Ten Ichi Go but I want Musashi as built. The Fujimi Musashi is about £4 or £5 cheaper from HLJ (Can't get the Fujimi kit in the UK and I can't get trade prices on Tamiya). Downside is, that I can't find a wooden deck sticker for the Fujimi Musashi apart from the Leyte version. Some thinking is required!

thanks
Mike
 _GOTOTOP