_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
Which navy do u like best?
Timlo
Visit this Community
Hong Kong S.A.R. / 繁體
KitMaker: 150 posts
Model Shipwrights: 0 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 03, 2004 - 04:27 PM UTC
Hi guys,i would like to know which country's navy do u like best and also which nation's navy has the best record in WW2?for myself, i like the HMS most,the Royal Navy is a all time legend i think,but which ship of it is the best in WW2?
Also,i think Bismarck of Germany is the best ship in that time,is it true?why is it so great?and how was it armed?
Thanks
Tim Lo :-)
garrybeebe
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 1,969 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 03, 2004 - 05:59 PM UTC
Hello Timlo hows it going bud ?
I build all navy's, It is a toss up between the US and the Royal navy for my favorites!
The US navy was more of an airwar campain, where the HMS was more of a surfice war. The best Royal navy ship? The Warspite of course! An old war dog she was, she went on fighting even when she was crippled !
The Bismarck could have very well been the best Capital ship of her time. (before the Iowa's, Dakota's and the Carolina's came along.) The King GeorgeV was not far behind, as was the French Richelieu or the Italian Vittorio Veneto class. The Bismarck was a fine ship, but I think there was others that were just as good. Alot of the ships that I just mentioned were on the same level for armament as the Bismarck. I think only a side by side surfice battle could the ship be judged! But then the ship is only as good as the men who serve it.
My personal favorite WW-2 warship was the USS South Dakota.
Write you later bud!

Cheers,
Garry
KFMagee
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,586 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 03, 2004 - 08:10 PM UTC
As a former member of SEAL TEAM #2, I HAVE to go with the US! (although I envy the storied past of the English navel tradition!)
Shipfriend
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
KitMaker: 32 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 03, 2004 - 10:07 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I envy the storied past of the English navel tradition!

Talking abt which country's Navy do u like best... ... ... ...

Of Course, The Republic of Singapore Navy.

I like the tradition of the Royal Navy but prefer the performance of the US Navy. I remember my 1st model ship when I was a kid is Tamiya's 1:700 USS Hornet. Then, I was not sure which navy it was from (I think I bought it cause it was a carrier and was carrying bombers on its deck) , but had grow to appreciate the IJN.

But as I grew and reads, I tends to favour the USN, not because I won the war, but how it pick themselve up from the Pearl Harbor incident and managed to return to victory in just six months time.

My favourite ship is the USS Enterprise, it was the most decorated ship in the US Nave, having received the Nave Unit Commendation and 20 battle stars for its WWII service. But most importantly, did not missed any major conflicts other then the Coral sea conflict.

SK
ave
Visit this Community
Klang, Malaysia
KitMaker: 417 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 03, 2004 - 11:21 PM UTC
my favourite navy would be the kriegsmarine. including the u-boats. its a pity that most of the surface fleet was kept in port during the war. the u-boats probably deserve the most praise for fighting on against all odds.
Timlo
Visit this Community
Hong Kong S.A.R. / 繁體
Posted: Saturday, January 03, 2004 - 11:26 PM UTC
which ships in ww2 do u think has the greatest fire power?
and do u think that Priz Eugen is a good ship?
any air craft carrier for HMS in ww2?it seems that there are not many modern war ships model,do u think so?
thanks
Tim Lo
ave
Visit this Community
Klang, Malaysia
KitMaker: 417 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 04, 2004 - 12:47 AM UTC
it is really hard to judge when it comes to firepower of a ship. many factors are involved, so i guess you cant say that a particular ship has the greatest firepower. prinz eugen saw only limited action during ww2 but overall was a good ship. it was also one of the few kriegsmarine battleships to survive the war.
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,221 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,821 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 04, 2004 - 05:49 AM UTC
What navy? The RN of course. What ship, HMS WARSPITE, followed closely by the USS ENTERPRISE. Both of these ship because of their war record, between them they were in virtually every major battle or campaign of the war.

As for the BISMARCK it wasn't all that great a ship. Here is a link where the merits of the major battleships of WWII are compared, http://www.combinedfleet.com/baddest.htm If you check it out you'll see BISMARCK is pretty far down the list. The ship gained fame because of one battle, Denmark Staight, where a lucky hit took out the HOOD, and because it took so much damage before going down. BISMARCK took so much damage because the RN closed in too close and their shells were striking at too low an angle.

As for Prinz Eugen she was a so so cruiser. Remember P.E., and her sisters, were about 40% over what they were supposed to weigh and yet Blucher, her sister, was sunk by shore batteries after being hit by about 25 5.9 inch shells and a couple of torpedoes. Compare that to the pounding HOUSTON took before going down in the Java Sea.
Timlo
Visit this Community
Hong Kong S.A.R. / 繁體
Posted: Sunday, January 04, 2004 - 08:36 PM UTC
which ship is the HMS WARSPITE? could u show me some pics of it?
Thanks
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Monday, January 05, 2004 - 04:14 AM UTC
Here you go Timlo, http://www.royal-navy.mod.uk/static/pages/3515.html

HMS Warspite had the most incredible fighting record of just about any warship I can think of. She was at the Battle of Jutland in WWI. In WWII she was at the 2nd Battle of Narvik where she accounted for a U-Boat and several destroyers. In the Med she forced an Italian battleship, the Guilio Cesare to retire. At Matapan along with two of her sisters she destroyed three Italian cruisers. She gave fire support at Salerno and Normandy, and even dueled with a German shore battery, the Graph Spee battery, at Brest. She finished up the war so badly damaged that one turret and two or three screws were out of action but she still fought. After the war she was scrapped but even then she put up a fight. She slipped her tow and ran aground and had to be scrapped on site.

Truly she was a grand old dame.
Timlo
Visit this Community
Hong Kong S.A.R. / 繁體
Posted: Monday, January 05, 2004 - 08:03 PM UTC
What do u think about the HMS Nelson and Rondey?
their guns all placed in the front,are they good ships?
Thanks
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Tuesday, January 06, 2004 - 02:08 AM UTC
Timlo, Nelson and Rodney were ships that were originally designed to be much larger. They had to be cut down in order to meet the Washington treaty limits. They really weren't all that good but they were the best the British could do under the constraints they were working under.

If you're interested a friend of mine has written a very good book, The Fleets of World War II by Richard Worth. It's not a great source for models, since it doesn't give all that many photos and no plans, but it's very good describing the relative strengths and weaknesses of ALL the ships in WWII. It even describes ships from Chille, Brazil, and so on. You might find it on Amazon or at Barnes and Noble if you're interested.
Mahross
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 837 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 07, 2004 - 02:43 AM UTC
If i had to pick it would be the British and German navies of both World Wars. The naval race before WW1 was akin to a naval arms race and is of great interest to me esp. with the advaent of HMS Dreadnought.
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 07, 2004 - 06:01 AM UTC
I guess I should be partial to my country's Navy. Traditions such as Old Ironsides, the Monitor and Virginia don't die out. I think the Iowa class for WW2 BB's. Had a very stable gun platform with state of the art fire control. For pure awesomness though I have to lean towards the Yamato...those 18.1 inch guns!!!!!. Modern day have to be totally impressed by the Nimitz class...there is no equal or even a close second to those babies
Mahross
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 837 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 08, 2004 - 09:11 AM UTC
Blaster - when compared to the last british BB, HMS Vanguard, the Iowa's were not as good a gun platform as originally thought. They were not as stable when firing a full broadside. Now that would be a nice kit :-)
Sancho0409
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 145 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 08, 2004 - 02:01 PM UTC
I have been brainwashed by so many German WWII Sub movies to believe that any navy was better than the Germans...the had everyone running during WWI as well.....top notch nation, thats all I gotta say
E101
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
KitMaker: 20 posts
Posted: Friday, January 09, 2004 - 04:41 AM UTC
which Navy? well it depend on what you like, if you like aircraft on ships, then you have to go for USN and Japan Navy, if you are thinking of numbers of turrets and fire powers, perhaps you go for Royal Navy, if you prefer sub then you would have to for the german, if you don't prefer any vessel, then you are on the wrong topic #:-)

hehe..personally i prefer the USN and the RN. i just love the flight decks and those turrets. hehe. USS ENTERPRISE, USS YORKTOWN, USS HORNET, HMS ARK ROYAL, HMS RODNEY....few of the fav ships that i like and incld in my fleet.

well, there is talk of campaign, wonder how many people joining..let move to the campaign thread.....
 _GOTOTOP