_GOTOBOTTOM
Ships by Class/Type: Carriers
Topics on all types of carriers from the early 20th century to today.
Gallery Models - 1/350 USS Intrepid CVS-11
TRM5150
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 2,159 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,400 posts
Posted: Monday, October 20, 2014 - 10:30 AM UTC
Hello Folks,

I am a bit off from ripping into this one but thought I would start up the thread to get the ball rolling. As the title suggests, this will be Gallery Models' 1/350 Scale USS Intrepid CVS-11. The kit box shows only this as 'CV' but her makeup and air wing puts the time frame in the mid 60's I believe after the SCB-125 refitting.

I have not decided on what will be done yet really as there are some options here to play around with! In any case, it should prove interesting I think. All about having some fun, right?

If you would like to check out what comes in the kit, Jim Starkweather has put together a nice review of this one here on Model Shipwrights: http://modelshipwrights.kitmaker.net/review/10570 Please take the time to stop by and read the review!

Without wasting anymore time, here is what I am looking at getting myself into...

The obligatory box art

One 'big' hurdle with this build will be taking pictures. The kit does not actually fit in the photo booth too well....yet!

Some quick interesting notes on this kit are that she comes in just over 32 inches in length, there is 6 sheets of photo etch included with the kit and the sprue count is 33; however, 22 of the sprue are aircraft alone.

The deck of this ship has been nicely molded from what I am seeing at first glance.

The kit does come with a detailed hanger deck, but unfortunately that is the only detailing in the hanger bay included. Depending on how this gets laid out will depend on how much scratch building get done in the hanger I suppose!!

One other small note is the lacking of any hull plating details...this is easily dealt with when the time comes though.

I still have something on the bench to take care of, one being my HMS Roberts which still has a little rigging to go. I think once I get the Roberts shipped off I will have an open slot in the graves for this one.

As always, thanks to taking the time to stop by and have a look-see!!
Fordboy
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 2,169 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,597 posts
Posted: Monday, October 20, 2014 - 12:13 PM UTC
Ahoy Todd

Thanks.

Great looking kitset.

I will be following along once you get started building.

Cheers

Sean
TRM5150
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, October 20, 2014 - 12:43 PM UTC
Hello Sean!! Welcome aboard! Glad to have you along for the cruise!!
Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 4,691 posts
Model Shipwrights: 258 posts
Posted: Monday, October 20, 2014 - 01:03 PM UTC
Will definitely be checking in.
Cosimodo
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 1,808 posts
Model Shipwrights: 871 posts
Posted: Monday, October 20, 2014 - 03:10 PM UTC
I will be watching also. I am keen to see if this builds as good as it looks in the review.

cheers
Michael
TRM5150
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, October 20, 2014 - 03:25 PM UTC
Happy to have you along for the ride Anthony!!

Thanks for jumping aboard too Michael! The kit looks pretty good at the outset!! Let's hope I don't screw things up too bad with it!!
c5flies
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 3,684 posts
Model Shipwrights: 11 posts
Posted: Monday, October 20, 2014 - 03:47 PM UTC
Hey T, this one looks perfect for you, should keep you out of trouble for awhile I'll be watching your progress for sure!
TRM5150
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, October 20, 2014 - 08:28 PM UTC
Hi James! Should be interesting, that's for sure!! Busy, yes, trouble...probably not!!
RussellE
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 3,959 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,777 posts
Posted: Monday, October 20, 2014 - 09:11 PM UTC
Watching with interest Todd

looks like it will be a good build!

Russ
bdanie6
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 615 posts
Model Shipwrights: 50 posts
Posted: Monday, October 20, 2014 - 10:30 PM UTC
Hello Todd,
I've been on the side lines watching your HMS Roberts build. You've done a great job on that one, so I'm waiting with bated reath to see how this one turns out.

Later
TRM5150
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, October 21, 2014 - 05:24 AM UTC
Thanks Russ and Bruce!! I'm real happy you guys jumped on board! Maybe with a little luck I can take a deeper look inside the box by the weekend!!
JJ1973
Visit this Community
Niedersachsen, Germany
KitMaker: 1,835 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,832 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 21, 2014 - 06:12 AM UTC
Very nice project indeed - I'm on board for sure!

By the way, one comment higher up reminded me - how's your Roberts doing, did I miss anything?

Cheers,

Jan
RedDuster
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 7,078 posts
Model Shipwrights: 6,649 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 21, 2014 - 06:53 AM UTC
hi Todd,

Fancy one of these myself,

will be watching your build with interest.

Si
TRM5150
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, October 21, 2014 - 07:33 AM UTC
Hi Jan, thanks for following!! No, you did not miss anything on the Roberts! I got backlogged with a couple projects, one of which just left the bench...Woo Hoo!! Getting back to the Roberts and then onto this one!!

Hey Simon!! Thanks for climbing aboard!!
Eastrock
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
KitMaker: 68 posts
Model Shipwrights: 32 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 23, 2014 - 01:56 PM UTC
permission to jump in, Todd!!! seems like a ton work ahead
TRM5150
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, October 23, 2014 - 02:09 PM UTC
Permission granted! Welcome aboard ER!!!
Aurora-7
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 1,020 posts
Model Shipwrights: 630 posts
Posted: Friday, October 24, 2014 - 10:28 AM UTC
I'm lucky I just live over an hour away from the real Intrepid. Problem is the line to get in is longer than the drive me to get to her, for the summertime, anyway.

I can't wait to see you dig into this build.

Is the notch in the lower bow for a sonar dome for the 'CVS' variant?
TRM5150
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, October 24, 2014 - 10:43 AM UTC
Hi Michael,

I hear you about lines to get in! We get that up here with the Massachusetts and Old Ironsides! My dad and I were planning on taking the trip down to visit the Intrepid soon! 'Bout 3 hours for me but worth the ride! As for the "bulbous" feature on the hull...the design was added to increase the efficiency of the movement of the ship in the water. Bunch of technical stuff about Influencing the water flow reducing drag from what I read.

Getting close to starting I think!! Knocked another project off the bench! At least one more and I might have the room!!
Aurora-7
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 1,020 posts
Model Shipwrights: 630 posts
Posted: Friday, October 24, 2014 - 11:32 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I hear you about lines to get in! We get that up here with the Massachusetts and Old Ironsides!

True, plus in Fall River you have the wonderful Battleship Cove - a must pilgrimage for any WWII naval lover!

Quoted Text

As for the "bulbous" feature on the hull...the design was added to increase the efficiency of the movement of the ship in the water.

Yes, I've seen that on many naval vessels but I was surprised to see it a a separate piece in a kit. I thought maybe there was a 'non-bulb' version from her pre anti-submarine platform days and a 'bulb' version for a sonar housing.

I try to keep my purchase price for kits at no more than $100.00 but this kit may have me break with tradition.
TRM5150
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, October 24, 2014 - 12:08 PM UTC
BSC would be a great day trip for you!! The Mammy is a big girl!! Not to mention all the other attractions including the 2 PT's!

I remember reading something about the bulbous being a version of the SQS-23 dome but I cannot find anything of reference and the shape is off slightly. Either way, it does signify the possibility of maybe future releases of other short hull Essex class carriers! Personally I would be all over the USS Randolph with the same configuration (long hull though) as my dad served on her in the 60's!

I'll try and get things together soon so you can see how she looks...might help with that decision on way or the other!

Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,422 posts
Model Shipwrights: 5,079 posts
Posted: Friday, October 24, 2014 - 12:22 PM UTC
This is going to be interesting.
TRM5150
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, October 24, 2014 - 12:37 PM UTC
Hi Kenny!! Hope all is well my friend!! Thanks for swinging by!! I agree...this might prove interesting...at least on some level!!
TRM5150
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, November 04, 2014 - 12:51 PM UTC
Well I am not getting into this one full blown yet, but I did crack the box and sort some items and unleashed some glue.

The hanger deck installation is the first thing on the list. My apologies for the pictures. I am still getting a handle on fitting this into the picture booth. There will be adjustments coming soon!!

This thing is just BIG! The majority of the first half of the instructions cover installation of parts from the flight deck down. So for a while I have to set aside a good chunk of the building area dedicated to the tub. Once things move to the PE and sub assemblies of the superstructures things will be a bit more manageable I think.

There are going to be a few minor issues to deal with along the way here....first being the bulbous on the front of the hull. The joint is less than desirable. There will be some filling and sanding coming real soon on this one!

I finished off last night sanding deck extensions off the hanger deck level. I may try to get these installed tonight and keep moving the tub section along!

As always, thanks for stopping in!!
Eastrock
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
KitMaker: 68 posts
Model Shipwrights: 32 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 08, 2014 - 02:02 PM UTC
Ironworks on the way!!!
TRM5150
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, November 08, 2014 - 04:32 PM UTC
Small one ER!!

Slowly working my way through things here, I have to clean up the edge around the entire hanger deck. There was a little gap and things are not as smooth as hoped. Some filler and a bit of tactful sanding has been happening....

A couple of divisions have been added to the stern. Of course there are some joint sanding in need but nothing that should hold things up here.

Only a little more sanding left tonight and I can begin to layout the side walls to the hanger deck which I cut off the sprue already and did some prep-sanding to.

As always...thanks for hanging about!!
 _GOTOTOP