_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
WEM to close their door
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Friday, December 05, 2014 - 02:23 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

How else can we get access to their (brilliant) range of colours??? Unless they team up with someone like Humbrol to get access to Humbrol's distribution network???

I suspect the future lies with Vallejo / AK

Testors / ModelMasters has copies of the Snyder & Short Paint Chips and they have a limited selection of US & RN colors, but they're not supporting them at all - my Local Hobby shop can't get them through their standard distributors (Stevens International and Squadron, mainly).

AK seems more interested in playing with the more limited run colors, so I could see them doing some Naval paints.

Not much for us enamel users though.

sorry i am a little late to the party. Freetime hobbies had the MM enamel a while ago. bought several from them. Maybe Sprue Bros as well. MY loval hobby does wel enough with the normal enamel line. and i ge that once a year visit to squadron. Ships just arent as populat as planes cars and tanks. why not a big push from Testors. Maybe with the huge gap left by WEM' departure wil encourage them to expand a little more. I got US, german and Japanese paints and they seem to be pretty good
Scablifter
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 2 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2 posts
Posted: Friday, December 05, 2014 - 10:52 AM UTC
It is a bloody disaster, especially since it is NOT about paints which can be obtained elsewhere or mixed appropriately by oneself, but about the preservation of RN ship models and the corresponding PE sets in the world panting with the Teutonic-US-Japanese euphoria!
What about Mr. Hall and the Atlantic Models? Is the company in the state of submergence as well?
RussellE
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 3,959 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,777 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 06, 2014 - 03:01 PM UTC

Quoted Text

It is a bloody disaster, especially since it is NOT about paints which can be obtained elsewhere or mixed appropriately by oneself, but about the preservation of RN ship models and the corresponding PE sets in the world panting with the Teutonic-US-Japanese euphoria!
What about Mr. Hall and the Atlantic Models? Is the company in the state of submergence as well?

Hi Dvl,

You are right-it is a disaster!

And i agree-The RN is sorely under represented in plastic by the major kit makers, and this void was filled by WEM! (Just about every surface unit of the USN, IJN and DKM from WWII can be built from a plastic kit in 1/350 but not the RN-I'm still waiting to see a RN flat top in 1/350! I suspect it may have something to do with the NMM's exorbitant fees they charge to get ship plans, but that's a topic for another time)

However, most of WEM's kits and AM will probably turn up on one retailer or another's site sooner or later, whereas the future of colour coats is not so certain. How many small companies would be willing to pick up a range of enamels tailored to such a small niche, when they cannot be sent via mail?
The big 3-Revell, Humbrol and Testors-may not be so keen on the idea either-as it may infringe on their own lines...

So it leaves us enamel users wondering where to turn???

Russ
 _GOTOTOP