_GOTOBOTTOM
Ships by Class/Type: Destroyers
This forum covers all types of destroyers from all eras.
IJN Destroyer recommendation?
wrinkledm
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 18 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1 posts
Posted: Friday, March 06, 2015 - 07:29 AM UTC
I'm considering either the Fine Molds AYANAMI FW01, Tamiya Yukikaze 8020 or the Hasegawa Yukikaze Z22 kits and I'm curious what you all recommend. Please... (Seriously) kit price nor scale accuracy should NOT figure into the equation. I'm more interested in the build-ability of the kit and what the final results will look like. I pretty sure the Fine Molds Ayanami doesn't offer a water line option while the other two do, but I'm not 100% sure.

Aftermarket? I'm open to buying aftermarket P.E., metal barrels etc... but if that can be avoided with a good base kit, that would be great.

I guess the bottom line is, If you could build only one, which one would it be???

Thanks D
TRM5150
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 2,159 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,400 posts
Posted: Friday, March 06, 2015 - 08:23 AM UTC
Hi D,

There is a great review on the Tmiya kit from way back here onsite - http://modelshipwrights.kitmaker.net/review/3536

Also, I can speak for the Tamiya Yukikaze as I made a review for the kit a while back as well as built her. Nicely detailed and comes with PE but not railings...but those were maybe $10 or so. and 37mm barrels which there were a bunch on this but the Aber set I bought comes with 34 and ran about $16US. It is a really nice kit and worth the effort. This was a couple years ago, but it was OOB with the exception of what I mentioned...

Littorio
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,728 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,080 posts
Posted: Friday, March 06, 2015 - 06:32 PM UTC
D I have the Tamiya Yukikaze and the Hasegawa Isokaze pro set (or what ever it's called), yes the Tamiya kit can be built out of the box but you could do with a set of railings as none are supplied and replacement light AA guns. The Hasegawa kit on the other hand has everything you need in the box including replacement gun barrels, brass depth charges and the option to build it in either as commissioned, 1943 (3 main gun turrets & extra AA) or 1944 fit (2 main gun turrets & even more AA).

I can't help you with the Fine Molds kit as there is no importer for them here but I'd like to get one as it's a different class destroyer to the other two.

Todd, nice build by the way.
Naseby
Visit this Community
Slovakia
KitMaker: 825 posts
Model Shipwrights: 97 posts
Posted: Friday, March 06, 2015 - 08:10 PM UTC
Tamyia is nice, but I think Hasegawa has little bit nicer details. I believe its also a newer kit. Here is a built I made using PE from Eduard :

http://modelshipwrights.kitmaker.net/forums/208136#1746988
jonvan
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 170 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1 posts
Posted: Monday, July 25, 2016 - 08:53 AM UTC
I have the Fine Molds 1/350 Amagiri. It has excellent detail and the engineering is excellent.---John
BravoTwoZero
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 461 posts
Model Shipwrights: 80 posts
Posted: Monday, July 25, 2016 - 08:44 PM UTC
I bought the 1/350 Tamiya Yukikaze along with the Infini-model detail set. Here is the manufacturer's site,
http://infini-model.com/index.php/portfolio/im535001r1yukikaze/

and here is a thread discussing the detail set. Check out the 3rd page of how the kit looks.
http://www.shipmodels.info/mws_forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=160684

I have yet to work on mine but I am definitely looking forward to it.
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 31, 2016 - 11:26 AM UTC
I've done both and was quite pleased with them. Been several years but if it had not been easy I would have remembered that
 _GOTOTOP