_GOTOBOTTOM
Ships by Class/Type: Battleships
Topics from the Dreadnaught era to modern day.
Hosted by Steve Joyce
P.E. for 1/350 Warspite
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,221 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,821 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 24, 2015 - 07:49 PM UTC
I've got a question concerning P.E. for a 1/350 HMS Warspite. I picked up the Academy basic kit years ago and haven't done a thing to it except pick up the Master Model brass guns. Personally I have a love hate relationship with P.E. I love the way it adds to a kit, hate actually using it. I rarely, if ever, use more than 50% of a P.E. set. It seems that the only real option for P.E. for the Warspite, at least from what I've seen, is larger, more expensive sets. Did I also mention I'm cheap? I don't like paying more for a P.E. set than I did for the kit itself.

Ok, given all that what would you recommend? Selling the basic Academy Warspite kit and pick up the premium Academy kit? Using generic sets for the rails and such. Or is there a relatively inexpensive kit that would work?
tetleyteaman
Visit this Community
England - North, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 15 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 26, 2015 - 11:54 PM UTC
You are pretty much limited to the full Pontos set, but if you don't like PE then you will hate the Pop-Pom replacement parts

However, the Pontos set is superb, take the plunge and you won't regret it.
TRM5150
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 2,159 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,400 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 27, 2015 - 12:17 AM UTC
Never an easy choice..."to PE or not to PE...that is the question"!

One one hand, I am inclined to agree with the Tea-man above...the Pontos set would greatly enhance the kit. On the other hand it is really hard to justify paying 2 or three time the amount of the kit on accessories. I think the cheapest I found the set was through Lucky Model at $109 with free shipping. Not bad really for what comes with that set!

Other side of the coin is as is, the ship would build up into a great display. Artwox has the wooden decks you could use....You already have some barrels...a generic railing set is not too much...and smaller armament barrels can be had...even the Pom Pom's...Flyhawk has a decent set of 4 for about $12. The trouble with buying the individual stuff is deciding when to call it quits and just build!

Best of luck!
Littorio
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,728 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,080 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 27, 2015 - 12:46 AM UTC
If you can hold on a while for Tom's to re-launch the WEM range then you could get the WEM set for the Warspite.
kpnuts
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,179 posts
Model Shipwrights: 427 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 27, 2015 - 01:33 AM UTC
I see you're in the US don't know if you can get them over there but I bought the dx pack from model dockyards which contains the brass barrels the PE and real wooden decks I was 50£ I used it on my dio Warspite gets a few scars.
tetleyteaman
Visit this Community
England - North, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 15 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 27, 2015 - 12:01 PM UTC
Todd, I have to agree with you there in that by the time you have bought all of the separate items you are up to the cost of the Pontos kit anyway.

I guess it depends how much detail you want to add Rodger, it may work out best to sell your basic kit and splash out on the Premium one. The Academy premium has all of the bits that the Pontos full set comes with apart from the resin gun tubs, 20mm guns and the Pom Poms.It also has a clearer set of instructions for the etch.

Whatever option you take, the Pontos set really does add to the kit and, in my opinion, is far superior to that offered by White Ensign.

Graham
RedDuster
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 7,078 posts
Model Shipwrights: 6,649 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 27, 2015 - 01:03 PM UTC
Hi Rodger,

personally I would go Pontos, although this one of the earlier sets and the instructions are a bit lacking, the etch is a very user friendly, with the deck and all the turned brass, not just gun barrels, but ,masts, yard arms the lot. it is great value for money.

Cheers

Si
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,221 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,821 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 27, 2015 - 07:44 PM UTC
Thanks for the input folks. I think I'll just continue to troll ebay and look for a great deal on either the Pontos set or the premium Academy kit. My Warspite might be a once in a lifetime type of build.

EDIT: I just started trolling ebay and I noticed several upgrade sets by KA Models. I've heard of them but don't know much about them. Has anybody used one of their sets yet?

blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 20, 2015 - 03:20 PM UTC
little late to the party here. I just ( like 3 days ago) completed the Academy premium kit. If you hate pe...well stay away from this one. It is fidely to say the least. Seems the foremast was close to 30 pieces to shape bend and wiggle into place. If you survive it though it sure looks damm good. The wood deck is great and the railings are a dream. Seems i got this kit for like $80 which is why i went with this one rather than the dragon.
 _GOTOTOP