_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
Musashi:
DutchBird
Visit this Community
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,144 posts
Model Shipwrights: 172 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 18, 2004 - 04:00 AM UTC
After being absent form builing since last September due to things like study and such, I now finally have time to do some building... I have bought the 1/700 Musashi by Tamiya, and will handpaint it, and build it OOB. As I want to finish this one, unlike some other models I have in the line-up, which are still in production, and are waiting for the arrival of an airbrush...

This leaves me with the following two quetions:

• Does anyone have a good reference site for this ship..as I suspect that it still does have some antenna cables running at various places...
  • As i would like to start the build now, can I still enter it in the campaign ? (I suspect I know the answer though).
  • Does anyone have any known pittfals with this kit ?

Thanks in advance,

Harm
garrybeebe
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 1,969 posts
Model Shipwrights: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 18, 2004 - 04:49 AM UTC
Hello Harm,
Here is a good sight you should find handy. http://www.combinedfleet.com/
This kit and the Yamoto, dont realy have any pitfalls ! They are great kits with good detail and fit. And will build into a fine model right out of the box!
As far as the campaigne starting time, you will have to ask Halfyank about that.

HTH,
Garry
foxroe
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 50 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 18, 2004 - 11:56 AM UTC
I'm an amateur when it comes to airbrushing, so I depend alot on brush painting. Here's a link to a great article from Fine Scale magazine on brush painting technique (there's a hyperlink about halfway down the page, but I was having some difficulty getting to it, so you may have to try again later):

http://www.finescale.com/fsm/dynamic/browse.aspx?sub=39

Todd
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 18, 2004 - 11:57 AM UTC
I don't think the campaign started yet, but if it has, you can jump in anytime, as long as you post your desire to participate, and finish the kit by the stop date. Also, this is a great kit.
DutchBird
Visit this Community
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,144 posts
Model Shipwrights: 172 posts
Posted: Monday, January 19, 2004 - 10:16 AM UTC
Thanks for the advice guys.... Well as I guessed, I am not going to be part of the campaign....

The Musashi is already launched... the final fittings need to be installed, and then it can be painted... I do have to practice though with the stretched sprue, as I need to repair one leg of the main mast, and want to put the flag up in the "battle"-mode. If someone knows the trick of getting stretched sprue about 5cm / 2 inches long, please tell me, as I have so far not suceeded in getting it over 1 inch in length.

Even in 1/700 the ship looks impressive, and actually fairly sleek... I hope I can do a good paintjob on it, as I will brushpaint this one. Some of the parts were very fidley and fragile (and were lost or damaged in the process :-( ... It was and is a fun ship to build though...And it has made me only more eager to do a 1/350 Bismarck with PE. but that probaly has to wait until next Christmas....

I wanted to start though as I finally want to finish a kit, and I want to airbrush the armor that is in production (and I do not have an airbrush yet :-()

I might possibly join up with another 1/700 ship...

If i can find a digi-cam I might even post a few pics once I am done....

And now, back to my Pak 40, Hornisse and Sd.Kfz 250/1....
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
Model Shipwrights: 476 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 20, 2004 - 04:38 AM UTC
Hi Harm,

Got to www.STEELNAVY.COM. The ladies and gents there are very knowledgeable and friendly.
garrybeebe
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 1,969 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 20, 2004 - 12:45 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Harm,

Got to www.STEELNAVY.COM. The ladies and gents there are very knowledgeable and friendly.

JPTRR, I feel we are plenty friendly here, and we try to be very helpful.
Are you a ship modeler? if so we can sure use your input here.

Cheers,
Garry
 _GOTOTOP