_GOTOBOTTOM
Ships by Class/Type: Battleships
Topics from the Dreadnaught era to modern day.
Hosted by Steve Joyce
First Battleship
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,221 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,821 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 24, 2015 - 11:19 PM UTC
Let's try this again. Last night the local club had our quarterly contest. The theme, Prototypes. I chose to model the prototype of all battleships to come, HMS Dreadnought. This is the 1/350 Trumpeter kit of the 1915 rig. I liked the kit, didn't care for the P.E. I think from now on I'll bite the bullet, or take it in the wallet, and get a dedicated P.E. set. I tried a new method of soldering brass rod to replace the mast so it wouldn't bend from the tension of ez line.

I wanted to get this one off the workbench as I want to complete a couple other projects before clearing the decks for the Cruisers and Guadalcanal campaigns.

RedDuster
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 7,078 posts
Model Shipwrights: 6,649 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 25, 2015 - 06:24 PM UTC
Very nice job Rodger,

Good clean build, I hope it went down well, took the HMS Jupiter destroyer in I built for the Battle Atlantic campaign to my local club for the open competition this week and picked up a 3rd with it.

Don't be afraid of the etch, the only advise I would give is don't dive in with a big all singing all dancing set first go, and don't worry if you cannot make the all tiny parts work (I still give up on some bits), and a spare pack of railings is quite useful too.

Good luck with the next project

Cheers.

Si
TRM5150
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 2,159 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,400 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 25, 2015 - 07:05 PM UTC
Fine job Rodger! The PE can be frustrating from time to time! Listen to Si, spot on information. Bang up a few generic railing and ladders first...patience is always the key to the shiny stuff!
 _GOTOTOP