_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
Please recommend a detailed 1' ship model
jamesp111
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 45 posts
Model Shipwrights: 9 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 02, 2015 - 07:20 PM UTC
Hi,

I'd like a few recommendations for a model ship that will build to around 30 - 40cm (1 - 1 1/2') long and is very well-detailed OOB?

I'm open to all scales and eras, from ancient boats to modern.

Something like the Revell 1/350 Battleship U.S.S. New Jersey looks ideal except for it's size!

I have also considered Revells Landing Ship Medium, but it doesn't look that detailed; is there an aftermarket detailing kit available for it? I can't find one.

Thanks for the help!

James
Aurora-7
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 1,020 posts
Model Shipwrights: 630 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 02, 2015 - 08:00 PM UTC
Hello, James. Welcome to Model Shipwrights.

I have the Revell LSM and while I'm think OOB detail is nice (a bit oversized in some areas) I'd also like some PE for it but as of yet, no one has released a set for it yet.

The Revell 1/350 New Jersey has a 'busier' look to it over the LSM because of the nature of battleships -more guns and varied parts of super structure. I'd think it'd be a fine choice.

You didn't mention a price range or era for the ship because Dragon does have some nice kits it the size range you're talking about and many come with PE work now. For example their Scharnhorst is very nice.

I suggest browsing our news section and choose vendors from the vendor list that runs down the right side. In any article for a vendor product there's a link to the vendor's website (if they have one) and you can visit their sites to see what the offer and what could be coming.
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Model Shipwrights: 833 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 02, 2015 - 08:03 PM UTC
Dragon's 1/350 Livermore/Laffey/Benson/etc. and Chevalier class WWll destroyers are IMHO the best candidates. They measure almost exactly, or slightly more than 1' long. They are perhaps the best kits OOB, although PE deck railing, etc. will be needed. If you like antique ships try Bronco's 1/350 Chih Yuen, or Ching Yuen (sister ships) of the 1880's pre-dreadnaught era, and British built so have a very Western look. These were "protected cruisers", but still very small compared to later warships. Both are detailed as well as Dragon's and have more complete PE, and are also easier to build. These are my picks, but there will be others depending on your level of expertise.
Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 4,691 posts
Model Shipwrights: 258 posts
Posted: Friday, July 03, 2015 - 12:23 AM UTC
Trumpeter Graf Spee or San Francisco or any of the Aoshima Japanese Cruisers
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Friday, July 03, 2015 - 01:17 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I believe these are way longer than a maximum of 1 1/2'... unless you are talking 1/700 scale.
Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 4,691 posts
Model Shipwrights: 258 posts
Posted: Friday, July 03, 2015 - 01:31 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I believe these are way longer than a maximum of 1 1/2'... unless you are talking 1/700 scale.

Yea,I guess your right,Spee is probably 2 ft or so
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,221 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,821 posts
Posted: Friday, July 03, 2015 - 09:06 PM UTC
I would agree to Biggles2 as to the Dragon U.S. destroyers. I'm considering the USS Laffey for the Guadalcanal campaign. It's 11.5 inches long, has very nice detail, some photo etch, and I think you can get it for under $60 usd. I see you're from the UK. If you want something RN Trumpeter's Tribal class destroyers, like the HMS Eskimo, are under $40 usd and also aren't bad. They are around 12 inches long.
jamesp111
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 45 posts
Model Shipwrights: 9 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 04, 2015 - 04:47 PM UTC
Cheers guys.

The Dragon destroyers look ideal, although my wife just mentioned she'd worked on a bit of the design of the type 23 frigate, so I'll probably build one of those.

As far as I can see, trumpeter are the only manufacturer (besides a resin model by WEM?) to make one in 1/350 scale.

This seems to be a reasonable kit, so any reason not to go for it? Or, If I did buy it, what PE do I need?
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Sunday, July 05, 2015 - 02:04 AM UTC

Quoted Text

If you want something RN Trumpeter's Tribal class destroyers, like the HMS Eskimo, are under $40 usd and also aren't bad. They are around 12 inches long.

Trumpeter's Tribal class COULD have been a good model, and is OK if you're not picky about accuracy. The most glaring error is that the forecastle has insufficient sheer. In order to correct it, the prow must be raised 3 - 4 mm's and curve down to it's original sheer line at the breakwater. This also necessitates building up the hull at the bow which will cause greater flare with the raised bows, and a widening of the deck as well, at the bow, so it will all fit. The main guns and turrets are acceptable as are the quad Vickers, but the Pom-pom needs to be replaced. And the motor launch is totally incorrect! It really needs WEM's PE!
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Sunday, July 05, 2015 - 02:10 AM UTC
Here's a build review on the Type 23: http://web.ipmsusa3.org/content/hms-montrose-type-23-frigate As with most (or all) Trumpeter ships, further PE is needed. WEM or Gold Medal are good choices.
Aurora-7
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 1,020 posts
Model Shipwrights: 630 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 05, 2015 - 06:07 PM UTC
And here's a Trumpeter Type 23 build that was done here at MSW last year.
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,221 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,821 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 05, 2015 - 08:37 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Trumpeter's Tribal class COULD have been a good model, and is OK if you're not picky about accuracy.

I think we may have to agree to disagree about this. I agree that the Trumpeter Tribal isn't perfect. It has all the faults you've mentioned. I've even pointed them all out in a review I wrote for my local club. But it has one thing going for it. It exists! Since nobody else seems willing to build kits of one of the navies that actually WON the war, and continue to offer kits of the losers I'll continue to buy Trumpeter kits. I assure you that if ever Dragon, Tamiya, Hasegawa, or even Airfix produces one my few remaining "Holy Grail" kits, i.e. a WWII Ark Royal or County class, I will be happy to throw my money their way.

Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Monday, July 06, 2015 - 07:45 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I think we may have to agree to disagree about this.

I don't see what there is we are disagreeing about. You are in agreeyance about it's faults; and I did say it's an OK kit out of the box. Maybe I should have said "It could have been a GREAT kit". I bought it and performed the neccessary surgery, corrections, and AM parts, and it's a fine looking model. Most of my ship models (1/350 as well as 1/700) are by Trumpeter. Trumpeter is well known for their many releases - it's just that many have errors that could have been avoided. However, they are improving!
 _GOTOTOP