_GOTOBOTTOM
Ships by Class/Type: Sailing Vessels
This forum is for sailing ships both civilian and military of any era.
Sovereign of the Seas - Build
TRM5150
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 2,159 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,400 posts
Posted: Friday, August 07, 2015 - 03:10 AM UTC
Hello Folks!

I wanted to start a thread for a somewhat long-term building project that just hit my bench; Model Space's Sovereign of the Seas.

Recently I finished a review of one of the sections of the ship for us here on Model Shipwrights. Model Space offers this kit, and others, in subscription form where sections of the kit will be sent in a Pay as you go" format; which as you know on wooden ship kits of this nature can be to the expensive side, the subscription makes that cost more manageable.

So the trick to reviewing a kit where separate sections of the kit are delivered once a month for about one year, is to make small, individualized reviews, a build blog as well as some videos to show the kit and the processes in building it.

Here is a link to Part 1 of my review of the Sovereign of the Seas (Pack 1) - https://modelshipwrights.kitmaker.net/review/11527

In the coming days I will begin actual construction of this section of the kit. With some luck there will be some downtime before the next section arrives next month and I will review that section.

As you can see, as well as in my review, there is a pile of parts for the construction of the false keel and bulkheads of the ship.

I did manage to play a little and started cutting out a few of the laser cut pieces to the bulkheads.

If my quick dry-fitting of the bow section is any indication on how this kit will construct, I am in store for a fun-filled an easy ride to this build! The parts slip into their corresponding slots with a snug fit!

As I mentioned above, this will be a LONG-term project for me. I should have a progress report soon...and maybe even a shot video for some that enjoy that sort of thing!

Thanks for stopping by!
rolltide31
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,481 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,332 posts
Posted: Friday, August 07, 2015 - 03:25 AM UTC
Todd,

Looks like an interesting build. I wasn't aware that the did the subscription method for this type of kit. Interesting. Looking forward to seeing your progress as you move forward

Dave
TRM5150
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, August 07, 2015 - 03:36 AM UTC
Thanks for stopping by Dave! Shhh...I am actually away for the weekend and stole some time to myself! I wasn't aware of the subscription either...seen adds before for Model Space but never had time to check out what it was about. Very interesting concept...especially not having to shell the whole lump sum at once! Shaping up to be fun!! I am going back to my roots on this one...LOL!!
TimReynaga
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 2,500 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,830 posts
Posted: Friday, August 07, 2015 - 03:40 AM UTC
Cool, Todd, looks like you are in for some fun! It will be unusual to see a wood ship model being built - I'll be following with interest!
RedDuster
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 7,078 posts
Model Shipwrights: 6,649 posts
Posted: Friday, August 07, 2015 - 04:03 AM UTC
Hi Todd,

very interesting beast you have there. Will be following with interest.

Cheers,

Si
TRM5150
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, August 07, 2015 - 07:26 AM UTC
Thanks guys! Glad to have you along for the ride! I have some things I am trying to finish up this month...the beginnings here seem like they will go quickly. In the end, a great winter project to work on if you ask me!
warreni
Visit this Community
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 5,926 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,624 posts
Posted: Friday, August 07, 2015 - 09:52 AM UTC
I just worked out the all up cost for the 135 issues.. About $2000! That is a lot of money!!
TRM5150
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, August 07, 2015 - 10:25 AM UTC
Actually works out to $1089.00 US. The 135 is the number of stages I believe. This is a 12 month subscription at $99 per month...and the first month's fee is waived. Wooden ship kits typically run between $800 and $1200 depending on the kit and manufacturer. So this falls into the average cost of wooden ship kits.
DaGreatQueeg
Visit this Community
Napier, New Zealand
KitMaker: 1,049 posts
Model Shipwrights: 8 posts
Posted: Friday, August 07, 2015 - 10:40 AM UTC
I must admit this is an impressive looking barge, if I had the time it'd be one I'd love to try so I'm looking fwd to watching this one.

And as you mention the price is relative to many things. I was gifted the subscription to the wooden issue by issue Titanic build (so I didn't worry about cost on that one) which is safely boxed up with an eye to being a retirement project.

cheers
Brent
TRM5150
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, August 07, 2015 - 11:02 AM UTC
Glad to have you along for the ride Brent! Oooo...the Titanic! Another favorite! A fine way to spend some retirement time!!
warreni
Visit this Community
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 5,926 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,624 posts
Posted: Friday, August 07, 2015 - 01:12 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Actually works out to $1089.00 US. The 135 is the number of stages I believe. This is a 12 month subscription at $99 per month...and the first month's fee is waived. Wooden ship kits typically run between $800 and $1200 depending on the kit and manufacturer. So this falls into the average cost of wooden ship kits.

Actually I got the Mamoli HMS Surprise for $170 off a friend of mine.

All I did to get the $2000 is multiply the $14.95 per issue times 135. That is what you would pay here. And we cannot buy it from the USA as there is a subsidy here

Would be nice to get that is for sure.
TRM5150
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, August 07, 2015 - 03:55 PM UTC
I am beginning to understand a bit more...sorry. In Australia, the kit is offered in the same subscription form but by the issue and nit in a 12 month version as I was reviewing. $2000 in Aus is about $1400 US

I think it is a little hard to equate the Mamoli kit to this one...in an apples to apples sort of thing. The SOS is a much larger kit in term of te ship and parts...closer to the Victory if anything. Brand new also, the Surprise is around $400 to $500 US where as the ship of the line kits like Victory are double that cost.

However though, the $170 is an outstanding bargain for the kit and she is a looker ...LOL!! Would love to see you have at it someday! Last wooden ship I did was the Sultana but i was scratch from plans...very rewarding to work with the wood and rigging.
JJ1973
Visit this Community
Niedersachsen, Germany
KitMaker: 1,835 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,832 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 08, 2015 - 05:47 PM UTC
Todd,

that's something special indeed!! I'm on board and will be watching with interest. Interesting concept indeed. I hope the fit continues as you found ist and you're up for a fun and enjoyable build!!

Cheers ,

Jan
TRM5150
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, August 09, 2015 - 08:16 AM UTC
Thanks Jan...glad to have you on board!

I stole some time after getting back from a long weekend attending my Brother in Law's wedding in Maine. Good times!

Well, just as I figured, the bulkhead sections just fell together. Once cut out, a quick light sanding and they slide into place.

The hull is broken down into 3 main sections of false keel. There are two small blacks that attach each key-wedge connecting point...then slip the bulkheads into the slots with the matching numbers.

She is impressively big...LOL!! Looking forward to the time the planking shows up in one of the future deliveries!!

A quick dry-fitting of the gun deck...

Part of this first pack was a couple of cannons ad carriages. These fell together as well.

Had a couple minutes to squirt a little paint on them as well.

While I blacken some metal parts, I slapped together the bow spirit framing.

Tomorrow I will work on some of the launch...

hat's it for the moment...hope to have some more tomorrow at some point! Thanks for tuning in!
RedDuster
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, August 10, 2015 - 01:05 AM UTC
Coming on well Todd,

Real shipbuilding.

Cheers.

Si
TRM5150
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, August 11, 2015 - 02:54 AM UTC
Thank Si! Appreciate the kind words!!

Okay....well, I am at the end of Pack one now! The frame is assembled as well as the launch and two cannon. Not much left to do but wait on the next section...except maybe look to update my ship building tools...LOL!! I put together a short video review for Model Shipwrights of the first pack as well as some of the footage from construction. I will ad some pics below just in case you on't have time for the 8:33 seconds of video!

The metal parts have all been blackened. Instead of painting, I used Uschi van der Rosten's Burning Fluid. Parts go in white metal...come out a few seconds later just like this!!

The rough framing of the hull is complete. As I said, she is long! But things are pretty true at the moment. I will fare things out on the frames soon.

The ship's launch went together nicely as well....

The planking went down and things were sanded.

Finally the finishing touches..well almost all of them as the ring is not black yet, were put to the ship's anchor...

That is that for now!! I was thinking of adding the eye bolts and maybe some bolt heads to the trunnion clamps on the cannons...should keep me busy until the next delivery!

As always, thanks for stopping in!!
Aurora-7
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 1,020 posts
Model Shipwrights: 630 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 11, 2015 - 05:53 AM UTC
The video you did for this kit was great. I'll be following this build with great interest.
rolltide31
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,481 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,332 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 11, 2015 - 07:03 AM UTC
Todd,

This build is really cool. I like the blackening method for the metal pieces. Can't wait to see the next installment

Dave
TRM5150
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, August 12, 2015 - 09:15 AM UTC
Thank you Michael! I am getting excited for the next part of the puzzle to arrive now!!

Thanks Dave!! The Burnishing Fluid does the trick rather nicely on the white metal. I just send out the call for another new item for the bench...from the same maker (Uschi), his PE burnishing fluid. Should do the same trick to brass and PE. Might allow a decent base to acrylics when painting! Looking forward to playing around with it soon!
JJ1973
Visit this Community
Niedersachsen, Germany
KitMaker: 1,835 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,832 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 12, 2015 - 09:22 AM UTC
Fantastic Todd!!

I never tried my hands on a 'real' wooden ship - and, to be honest, am much more afraid of the parts that follow later on, sails and rigging - but what you are showing here really makes my want to try

Great progress - you are talking of the size, how big is she actually? or did I miss it somewhere in your posts?

Looking forward to your updates,

Cheers

Jan
TRM5150
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, August 12, 2015 - 09:35 AM UTC
Hi Jan,

Thank you...and thanks for tagging along! Some of the fiddly stuff is a bit daunting, but then again, tiny pieces of brass are not much better...LOL! Personally I enjoy the rigging end of these...from the couple I have done in the past. Lots of knots but fun in a mind-boggling sort of way! When she is finished she'll be about 43 inches long, 30+ wide and about 15 high from what I read. The hull right now measures around 34 inches with the bows spirit in place.
ejhammer
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 230 posts
Model Shipwrights: 136 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 12, 2015 - 08:08 PM UTC
Regarding blackening, I went to the local sporting goods store. In the firearms dept there were three different coloring agents, one to color steel blue, one to color brass, bronze and copper black, which I also found blackens solder and white metal, and one that blackens aluminum. About $4.95 for a bottle that will last me a lifetime.
RedDuster
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, August 12, 2015 - 11:29 PM UTC
Coming on great Todd,

The blackening really works, the launch looks good too.

cheers

Si
TRM5150
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, August 13, 2015 - 08:54 AM UTC
Thanks for the heads-up Eugene! Always good to have a secondary line of outsourcing for goodies!!

Thank you Si! Going to be tough to wait a couple weeks for the next section...LOL!! Sure I will keep busy with "stuff"!!
bubbagates
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 3 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 02, 2015 - 11:45 PM UTC
Hi Todd,

Just saw your video. I'm doing the same build so I am going to tag along with you on yours.

I just completed Pack 2, well at least the Gallery framing and the gun deck and next deck. You also start planking in this pack as well.

I'm holding off on doing the guns until I have them all then do them all at once, pretty much the same thing with the planking.

I wish I would have though of the blackening stuff a few weeks ago.

I did a custom scratch built HMS Victory back in the early 90's and my very first one was the Revell plastic Cutty Sark in the mid 70's. In fact I just found that same model, still in it's plastic wrapping or $8 US so I snatched it up for the memory of it.

I see Model-Space has even more ships if you visit their UK site. I may see what it takes to get one of those sent to the US in the near future
 _GOTOTOP