_GOTOBOTTOM
New Content
Announcements on new content additions to the site.
need some quick help
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 08, 2015 - 12:42 PM UTC
Freetime is getting the USS JFK in shortly. pre order price $179. I havent been able to get any side view prints of her. The reason i am so curious. Does this ship look like a Nimitz class. iniital looks say yes. I have a Nimitz and if one cant tell difference other than by deck number i think i will pass and hold out for a Forrestal.

Oh side note. my Texas is enroute. Get her from Freetime
JJ1973
Visit this Community
Niedersachsen, Germany
KitMaker: 1,835 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,832 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 08, 2015 - 05:20 PM UTC
Steve,

I can't speak for the models, I don't have any of them. However, the originals, USS Nimitz and USS John F. Kennedy, look quite similar indeed. They are half-sisters. JFK (CV 67) is a class of here own and was initially intended to be nuclear powered, too (and would probably been the first ship of the JFK-Class this way) but it was decided to abandon this. So Nimitz (CVN 68) was to start the class of nuclear powered super carriers. Not to forget Enterprise (CVN 65), the first nuclear powered carrier and a one ship class as well.

CV 67 is just a little shorter than CVN 68, but you can't really see it. The bridge and the position of the main mast and 3-D radar are different, but still, they look pretty much alike, no way hiding that they have the same genes. I do have pictures of both ships together, can't find them right now - I hope they are on my main computer...I'll post them if I can find them.
Jut to build two different looking carriers, you'd certainly be better of with e.g. the Forrestal.

Hope that helps, and hopefully I do find the pics sometime next week

Jan
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 08, 2015 - 07:09 PM UTC
thanks i'll wait and hope they do a forrestal then.. or maybe pick one of these ( Kitty hawk / JFK) when they are on sale.
JJ1973
Visit this Community
Niedersachsen, Germany
KitMaker: 1,835 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,832 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 08, 2015 - 07:45 PM UTC
Kitty Hawk would be a good choice, too; no sister or half-sister of the Nimitz/JFK, looking a little like a smaller Enterprise from the flight deck shape and the position of the island. Island itself looks different, though - at least as far as I remember...
 _GOTOTOP