_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
A Few Bismarck Questions....
garrybeebe
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 1,969 posts
Model Shipwrights: 0 posts
Posted: Friday, January 30, 2004 - 02:22 PM UTC
Hi guys, I just compared the Bismarck and the Tirpitz. The aircraft cranes are in the same location on both ships, on the main deck to the rear of the stack.
Oh and Check your MiniHobby kits out closely They just might have the globed directors and the Torpedo launchers included in your kits. I know the Heller 1/400 Bismarck has the globe, so it is wrong, it is realy the Tirpitz or a generic Bismarck! Anyhow check it out, ya might get lucky!

Cheers,
Garry
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
Model Shipwrights: 476 posts
Posted: Friday, January 30, 2004 - 03:27 PM UTC
Hello,

Me thinks an excellent Q&A source you ought to try is www.STEELNAVY.COM .

They ought to be able to answer whatever.
modelguy2
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 818 posts
Model Shipwrights: 278 posts
Posted: Friday, January 30, 2004 - 05:39 PM UTC
check the drawings for differences-including crane location and torpedo tubes

Just my .02, I wouldn't try a Bismarck to Tirpitz conversion when there are Tirpirs kirs available. I realise this is for a campaine and some are just trying ships on for size so have fun at it.-Mike T
Augie
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 711 posts
Model Shipwrights: 74 posts
Posted: Friday, January 30, 2004 - 09:26 PM UTC
I have a copy of the instructions for the Tamiya Bismarck if you want them. If you want it, email your address to [email protected] and I'll mail it off to you as soon as I can! I knew that they would come in handy for some reason and glad I could help!!!!!
warlock0322
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,036 posts
Posted: Friday, January 30, 2004 - 09:52 PM UTC
Rick has hit the nail on the head. Steel Navy is a great source. The link below is one to the tips page. It should bring you to it. There is a great article on how to do the decks and other goodies as well.

http://www.steelnavy.com/toppage3.htm

If this brings you to the main site page just scroll down to the tips link and you'll be there. I have printed a thing or two off this as to keep on file to remember.
Hope this helps

Paul
garrybeebe
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
Posted: Saturday, January 31, 2004 - 01:21 AM UTC
Modelguy2, you are abselutly correct ! I withdraw my earlier post. The cranes are in different locations! I was looking at the wrong drawings, DOH! I had the same drawings that you posted, but like a dummy I did not look at them. Anyway THANKS for posting this, you are very helpfull indeed bud !

Regards,
Garry
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,000 posts
Model Shipwrights: 453 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 31, 2004 - 11:22 AM UTC

..........you guys are killing me.
I think I'm going to go back to building a 'Pibber'...sister ship, ......Ms. Pibber. :-) #:-)

Tread.
SonOfAVet
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 547 posts
Model Shipwrights: 132 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 31, 2004 - 01:44 PM UTC
modelguy,
I love the look of the deck that you showed but I am still a little hazy on the procedure...base coat...then mask 1/3 of the planks of the deck? spray a lightened mix of the base coat, mask another 1/3 of planks? then spray the darker color?
So do you cut thin strips to cover the planks? If so this must be extrenely small pieces?
After all these coats...d you apply a wash or does the deck look good enough the way it is?

Thanks,
Sean
modelguy2
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Saturday, January 31, 2004 - 03:07 PM UTC
That's the insane procedure exactly
Don't use a wash unless you give it a coat or two of Future first to seal it.
It'f fun really it is.....really.....real..... #:-)
SonOfAVet
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Sunday, February 01, 2004 - 12:35 PM UTC
Well as long at the "insane" process is fun #:-)

Here is another question....after lookint at some Bismarck models I noticed that there are different colored decks. The one around the super-strutcure looked more like a deep brown than the main deck around the main guns--which looked more like maple. Is/was there a difference or was this done just to break up the color of the decks?
There is the picture in question:
http://www.fine-art-models.com/e/model/ships/bismarck/bismarck_th019.htm

Sean
modelguy2
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Sunday, February 01, 2004 - 03:21 PM UTC
I'm not sure why the "01 level's" deck is apparently darker in that photo. If you go back amd look at those drawings they'll give you the sceme for the decks.Some parts are wood while others are steel.
garrybeebe
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
Posted: Sunday, February 01, 2004 - 03:28 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Well as long at the "insane" process is fun #:-)

Here is another question....after lookint at some Bismarck models I noticed that there are different colored decks. The one around the super-strutcure looked more like a deep brown than the main deck around the main guns--which looked more like maple. Is/was there a difference or was this done just to break up the color of the decks?
There is the picture in question:
http://www.fine-art-models.com/e/model/ships/bismarck/bismarck_th019.htm

Sean

Hello Sean, I looked at the photo's from the fine arts site. The one picture shows a darker color, but no, its the texure and lighting looks to me like. Some of the upper decks could be different shades, they are kind of thatch decking instead of planks. Look at the drawing that Modelguy2 posted a page back, that is the way the color layout should be.

HTH,
Garry
garrybeebe
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
Posted: Sunday, February 01, 2004 - 04:03 PM UTC
Ok, now looking at that drawing, it is correct. exept the upper area's around the bridge are realy wood thach decking, the drawing shows that they are painted metal. So for the fine detail, one should use the pictures on the fine arts site, these are correct.
Bear with us Sean, this detail stuff takes alot of research, the Bismarck has been on the bottom of the ocean for 63 years. So it takes a lot of little pieces of info to make a whole!

Cheers,
Garry
SonOfAVet
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Monday, February 02, 2004 - 08:26 AM UTC
Thanks for the input on the deck colors modelguy and garry. I figured the light was playing a trick on me. For me, part of the draw to the Bismarck is the mystery behind the way it looked, since not many people saw it first hand that are with us today. I think there are many things, such as the camo/paint scheme that she bore when she went down.

Sean

P.S.-- I'm racking my brain trying to think of any other questions I may have!!
garrybeebe
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
Posted: Monday, February 02, 2004 - 06:13 PM UTC
Hey Sean, after all the questions and answer stuff , I cant remember you saying what time in her duty you plan on modeling your Bismarck at? This could make alot of difference in her paint schemes. They changed 3 times that I know of, maybe more. The DKM had a habbit of changing camo schemes on a regular bases. Not to stir the pot, just wondering.

Regards,
Garry
SonOfAVet
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Tuesday, February 03, 2004 - 01:17 AM UTC
No problem at all Garry.
The scheme I am planning on doing is the March-May 1941. If you look at kbismarck.com they have line drawings of it in this camo scheme.
What would be the best way to reproduce the swastikas on the stern deck and breastworks? I can spray white, cut out a circle, spray red....but then the swastikas are giving me more trouble...maybe a stencil? Or use the line drawing as a guide?

Sean
garrybeebe
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
Posted: Tuesday, February 03, 2004 - 02:48 AM UTC
Sean one possibility might be Duane Fowler/Dunagain Decals, Pacific front hobbies carries them. If not, looks like masking and painting is the only other answer.
Although I did use some dry transfer decals a friend gave me in different sizes of swasticas, still have some but dont know where I would look for them! If you could find out who has dry transfer decals, that would be worth a try. Another idea is 1/32 or 1/24 aircraft decals.

HTH bud,

Garry
modelguy2
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Tuesday, February 03, 2004 - 03:54 AM UTC
Aren't some of you guts armor guys and some aircraft guys as well? I used swaztikas from an HE-111 sheet (I think that's what it was anyway) Came with tthe swaztika in a white circle on a red background. Although I think now it's accepted that the banner was painted gray not red. Armor guys? Don't they sell panzer recognition flags or something that may work? By the way, Fine Art Models site has the Tirpitz....I just didn't notice it before
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,272 posts
Model Shipwrights: 32 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 03, 2004 - 04:18 AM UTC
German National Flags from Archer. I don't have the foggiest idea whether they would be the right size or not.

Shaun

Linkage:
http://www.archertransfers.com/AR35008.html
SonOfAVet
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Tuesday, February 03, 2004 - 08:52 AM UTC
I think that a decal would be the easiest way, but the only trick is finding a decal that is the right size. I'll have to keep my eyes open for them. BTW, since it was brought up...can anybody explain dry transfers? I have heard of them before , but what are they exactly ( I assume they are like decails, minus the water #:-)

Sean
garrybeebe
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
Posted: Tuesday, February 03, 2004 - 02:14 PM UTC
To use dry transfer decals, place the decal colored side down on your model in the exact place you want them, either hold or tape them in place. Then with a pencil rub on the backing over the decals area, and it will transfer from the paper backing to your model. Then all you do is clear coat over them to seal them in place. WOLLA!
Realy they work pretty well and are quik.

Garry
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Wednesday, February 04, 2004 - 10:05 AM UTC
Howdy fellas,

Speaking of Bismark's, has anyone seen this one yet?

I think the guy sits in it and drives it around the lake!

Tread.
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Wednesday, February 04, 2004 - 10:09 AM UTC
Yep.......here's a pic of him sitting in it !

...with his 'Captain Ron' cap on ta boot! Look's jaunty. :-)
and apparently his wife can ride in the seat just behind the stack....wonder what kind of hat she wears?

Tread.
garrybeebe
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
Posted: Wednesday, February 04, 2004 - 12:42 PM UTC
Hello Tread, yep I have pic's of this to. Quite a duck hunting boat! Hmmm are those 12 guage shotguns in the turrets ? Talk about your quack attack !

Garry
BlueBear
Visit this Community
Idaho, United States
KitMaker: 414 posts
Posted: Monday, February 09, 2004 - 01:01 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Yep.......here's a pic of him sitting in it !

...with his 'Captain Ron' cap on ta boot! Look's jaunty. :-)
and apparently his wife can ride in the seat just behind the stack....wonder what kind of hat she wears.

Tread.

Is that Popeye the Sailor Man or SteamBoat Willie gone to war? Toot! Toot! #:-)
 _GOTOTOP