_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
A Few Bismarck Questions....
SonOfAVet
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 547 posts
Model Shipwrights: 132 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 29, 2004 - 08:06 AM UTC
Hello all you sea dogs(and treadhead #:-) ) I have a few questions....

1.) Does anybody have the instructions to the 1/350 scale Tamiya Bismarck model? I have the MiniHobby version and I would like to compare the two. I plan on getting photo-etch that is intended for the Tamiya version-- this would make it easier to see what goes where. So if anybody has a spare copy or knows a spot online, let me know.

2.) Rigging the Bismarck....
I dont even know if thats a proper term but...all those wires and antennas (sp) that criss-cross the masts and super structure of the Bismarck. I would like to add all that fun stuff but I want it in scale...would fishing line be the best material to use?

3.) How the heck would I even rig the Bismarck?!?!? Is it worth doing in 1/350 scale? What I am asking is where would I connect the wires? Where is the proper place? I'm trying to look at pics but it is difficult to see where one wires begins and where it ends....so your thoughts on that as well...

Hmmm that might be all for now....

Sean
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,000 posts
Model Shipwrights: 453 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 29, 2004 - 11:52 AM UTC
Howdy SonOfAVet!!

Wow!....You and I are now linked SonOfAVet! I just purchased today, the Mini Hobby Bismark from Hobby Lobby and am planning on building it up as the Tirpitz for the supposedly, tentitive, possibly scheduled, brashly rumoured, Warship Campaign!
You are asking the very same questions I need answered as well! So, if I may ask your permission to 'look over your shoulder' on this thread?
And if I may be so bold as to share some info with you all at the same time?
Real quick. I went to Hobby Lobby to pick up the Bismark model, with 50% off coupon in hand. Walked in the door ready to spend my planned 50% off of $39.95, which equals around twenty bucks. Looked to my right as I walked in (where they usually have their normal 'clearance' table mark-downs) and what do you think I see? You guessed it! A 1/350th scale Mini Hobby Bismark marked down to $19.99! So, I scooped it up, walked to the cashier and presented my 50% off coupon.......I paid $10.76 for the kit!
Pretty good huh?

O.K., O.K....enough 'reveling'....SonOfAVet and I need some answers!
He and I have a Bismark?Tirpitz to build for crikky sakes!
#:-) #:-) #:-)

............thanks for coming.

Tread.
modelguy2
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 818 posts
Model Shipwrights: 278 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 29, 2004 - 12:00 PM UTC
Ude Fine Art Model's Bismatck as a reference fpr rigging-I did:

http://www.fine-art-models.com/e/model/ships/bismarck/default.asp

As you can see rigging is a must in 1/350 scale.:

Invisible thread and .006 (.0006?) brass wire are some favorites

The instructions for the mini hobby should be fine as far as photo etched placement goes.
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,221 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,821 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 29, 2004 - 12:54 PM UTC
WHAT!!!!
Quoted Text

So, I scooped it up, walked to the cashier and presented my 50% off coupon.......I paid $10.76 for the kit!

Do you bear a resemblance to Brad Pit or something? Was the cashier warm for your form? The Hobby Lobbys here in the Springs down give discounts on previously discounted merchandise. I found that out when I bought an Italeri M7 Priest that had been marked down to $15.00. When I got home I realized they hadn't taken half off. To add insult to injury another Hobby Lobby had it at regular price, $19.99, so if I had bought it a regular price there, and gotten the half off, I would have only paid $10.00.

I'm really, really torn about that kit. It's bloody huge. My 1/350 Arizona takes up the entire top of one book case. I just don't know where I'd put the thing. I might just have to pass up on that bad boy and get a REAL ship. HMS WARSPITE in 1/600 from Airfix.
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Thursday, January 29, 2004 - 01:21 PM UTC
Howdy Rodger,

I was originally going to include a reference, something along the lines of "minimum wage Lemming"....but I re-thought that instead. I suppose I got lucky. The cashier who checked me out really didn't care one way or the other, I believe she just wanted to get to the end of her 'shift'. So I also suppose, it worked out for both of us!
Anyway, your point about how bloody "huge" the kit is, is exactly what excites me! The box it came in is almost three feet long! (gotta love it). Just the right scale for these old eyes.
And you must be "taking the Mickey" out of me with the Airfix 1/600th scale Warspite comment! #:-) Ya bugger!

Tread.

TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Thursday, January 29, 2004 - 01:24 PM UTC
Howdy modelguy2,

Many thx for your link! It is a good one indeed. Unfortunately the 'thumbs' for the Tirpitz don't work (at least this time around). But the thumbs for the Bismark worked just dandy!
Yes, I would have to agree. 'Rigging' looks oh so much better! But, fortunately, I have some experience in that theatre. :-)

Tread.
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Thursday, January 29, 2004 - 01:30 PM UTC
Hmmm... showing your box envy there Tread?

Off topic here, and not to start any flame wars, but don't you find it comical about all the excitement about the big railroad guns from DML and Trumpeter. Talk about being Freudian. I mean really, if they want a big hunk of plastic that isn't shaped like a certain organ then SHIPS are the way to go. Can you imagine the size of the 1/350 Enterprise?

BTW, what does "taking the mickey" mean?

TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Thursday, January 29, 2004 - 01:59 PM UTC

LOLLLLLL.............."box envy!".........ya kill me F&W! Thanks alot!......now I've got 'laugh-mouth'! #:-) #:-)
...........uuuuuuhhhhhhhhh......"box envy"......jeez.

Anyway. We're losing focus here. SonOfAVet's original query still stands. Can anyone help in regards to the original questions?
I for one, am on SonOfAVet's side. We need some help.

Tread.

Otherwise I'll just build that darn Warspite!
garrybeebe
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 1,969 posts
Model Shipwrights: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 29, 2004 - 02:03 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Howdy Rodger,

I was originally going to include a reference, something along the lines of "minimum wage Lemming"....but I re-thought that instead. I suppose I got lucky. The cashier who checked me out really didn't care one way or the other, I believe she just wanted to get to the end of her 'shift'. So I also suppose, it worked out for both of us!
Anyway, your point about how bloody "huge" the kit is, is exactly what excites me! The box it came in is almost three feet long! (gotta love it). Just the right scale for these old eyes.
And you must be "taking the Mickey" out of me with the Airfix 1/600th scale Warspite comment! #:-) Ya bugger!

Tread.

Howdy Tread,
Man you go to HobbyLobby and cash in on the 75 % off sale ! Hey good for ya! That is just one dandy of a deal. And I'm glad to hear your happy with the scale of the kit. Hmmm, I thought I got a good deal when I bought my Tamiya 1/350 Missouri at 25 % off for 48 bucks, sheesh!

Regards,
Garry
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Thursday, January 29, 2004 - 02:10 PM UTC
Try this site on the rigging. I myself have never done it. http://www.modelwarships.com/index1.html

Drat, that didn't work. Go to that site, choose How to tips on the left side. You'll see an article on rigging.

Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 4,268 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 29, 2004 - 02:45 PM UTC
Hey guys! I've been following your thread for a spell and noticed that there's not too much info (replies) regarding youe questions.
Soooooo, I took it to the "www" and came up with a place that may have your answers. I know, I know, I'd hate to direct you to some other place, but what could I do?!

Anyway, go to the link below and ask there:

BATTLESHIP BISMARCK FORUM

HTH
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Thursday, January 29, 2004 - 03:40 PM UTC
Hey guys guess what? While I was at my LHS picking up my 1/600 Warspite, (Tread, your box is REALLY bigger than mine but I'm ok with that), I also picked up the March issue of Fine Scale Modeling. It has a Corsair plane on the cover. In it is an article on using wire to rig ships.

If anybody wants a copy pm me. I'm not that good at scanning things but I'll do my best. Let me know what format you want, .pdf, .jpeg, ect.

warlock0322
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,036 posts
Posted: Friday, January 30, 2004 - 01:06 AM UTC
Hey Rodger just remember It is not the size of the box that counts it's the plastic that it holds.....

As for the Rigging question. There is about 3 ways that people debate on ways to rig it..Probably more but the 3 popular ones are.
1) you can use Stretched Sprue. But to me that is a lot of burning to do

2) Invisible thread never used the stuff so really can't say much on it

3) 2lb fishing line. I have used this before on rigging and on A/C. The thing about this is it is easy to work with. Can be secured with a drop of CA glue. Can be colored with a sharpie permanant marker.

Connecting would be the hard part.. You can loop the line aroun the mast you want it to be around. Put a drop of CA where the loop is. That will secure it then take a match light it.. Blow it out and hold it so the smoke travels over the line. This will tighten it.
The only real thing that you may have to assess is the Strength of the masts you are trying to put the rigging on. If it seems too flimsy to work with you can replace it with tubing of the same size.
If you can get your hands on Mike Ashley's book on building ships everything I just said is in there. He explains it a little better than I do and has pics to show you the steps.

The only I can really suggest is when working on the Superstructure.. Don't mount it until you have Everything and I mean everything PE, Painting and rigging etc done cause once you mount it. You are going to have to be a contorsionist to put the finite details on it.. Learned that one the Hard was with my New Jersey. That why the riggin on it still isn't done yet. My old Bone just can't bend some ways that they need to to rig it.

As for the pic of the Rigging.. If you can get your Hands on the Tamiya Instuctions I think the have the Rigging diagram on them... Not 100% sure though..

Hope all this babbling helps..

Paul
SonOfAVet
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Friday, January 30, 2004 - 02:05 AM UTC
Howdy Ya'll,
HalfYank, Kencelot, warlock, modelguy,-- thanks for your input, all of it gave me ideas and some direction.

Perhaps another question Tread and myself may have ( at least I do) is what would be a good color for the deck? Obviously a wood color....but light? darker? I know I would do a wash on it to get all those details....but what would you guys suggest for the main color?

Sean
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Friday, January 30, 2004 - 03:43 AM UTC
Howdy SonOfAVet,

Good to hear from you. We need to show a united front!
Another good question....deck colour. I for one definitely plan on paintting the oversized swastika on the foredeck(?)(is that the right name?). Through my research I have seen many different coloured decks. The best looking (IMHO) was a standard wood colour that had been obviously washed to bring out the highlights. But, from an accuracy standpoint, I'm definitely not sure. Maybe we should ask 'Funk & Wagnall's'?

to Kenc': Howdy pardner. Thx for the link. I'll have to read thru it!

to HalfYank: If you really wanted an Airfix 1/600th scale Warspite you should have told me. I have one sitting on the shelf you could have if you want it! Can you return yours? If so, I can ship ya mine. Let me know.
It is a pretty small box tho'!

to warlock: Many thx for the input as well. Especially the part about not attaching the superstructure! Good stuff there for a 'noob'. :-)

Now....Not sure if my next question is one that SonOfAVet is interested in as well or not, so my apologies to SonOfAVet if I'm 'bogarting'. We also need some input on the difference's between the Bismark and the Tirpitz.

Tread.

.....maybe I should start a seperate thread so I don't make SonOfAVet mad?
garrybeebe
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 1,969 posts
Posted: Friday, January 30, 2004 - 04:11 AM UTC
Ok guys,
Deck colors, I use Model Masters Enamel Dark Tan for most wood deck colors. Then I can give it a light wash with burnt umber to highlight it and bring out the detail. About the differences in the Bismarck and Tirpitz, There are only a few. The Tirpitz has the Torpedo launchers, one on each side, the Bismarck does not. Also on the Tirpitz the aft director just behind C turret has the round globe on it, where the Bismarcks director is exposed. I believe that is all. I will double check my ref's to make sure.

HTH,
Garry
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Friday, January 30, 2004 - 05:55 AM UTC
Tread, thanks for the offer but it was only $10 and I like to give some business to the independent LHS. I want to keep them in business and I figure spending money there is better than some things I could name. I'll keep my Warspite.

I like the looks of the old girl. I need to find some good picture of rigging for her, as the instructions don't say diddly. I'm probably going to model her in her 1940 rig when she did a little taget shooting and took out most of the German navies destoryer force at Narvik. I'm pretty sure she was in some kind of artic dazzle scheme but I have to find out for sure.

TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Friday, January 30, 2004 - 06:43 AM UTC

Quoted Text

"...... Also on the Tirpitz the aft director just behind C turret has the round globe on it, where the Bismarcks director is exposed. I believe that is all...."

O.K.......what in Hades is an " aft director "!?!

And, can I scratch a properly sized "round globe"? I feel pretty confident about scratching the torpedo tubes (need some drawings though).

Oh, and just for the record Garry....Many thx for the superb Tirpitz camo drawings! I WILL be using them.

to HalfYank: Understood. Keep your puny small-boxed Warspite.........see if I care!) #:-)

Tread.
modelguy2
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Friday, January 30, 2004 - 06:57 AM UTC
I also believe the aircraft crane was placed a deck level higher on the Tirpits.
For decks I use armor sand for a base. then I mask 1/3 with plank sized strips of masking tape nd sprat a coat of armor sand lightened -slightly! over top. Don't overdue the color shift or it will look striped. Again mask 1/3 and overspray woth armor sand darkened with a little dark tan or something similar. When the masking is removed it will look like this:

A few good reference sites:

http://www.bismarck-class.dk/

http://www.german-navy.de/kriegsmarine/index.html

http://www.kbismarck.com/tirpitz.html
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Friday, January 30, 2004 - 07:23 AM UTC
NICE Hood there Modelgyuy2! What kit is that? About as good a Hood as I've seen. Color me green with envy.

modelguy2
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Friday, January 30, 2004 - 07:47 AM UTC
That's White Ensign's 1/350 kit. I'm betting on an injection 1/350 kit before 2005!

Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Friday, January 30, 2004 - 11:37 AM UTC
Ouch. That is a very nicely done model. The pictures look something you'd see in a museum.

Gentleman, I think we have an expert in our midst.

SonOfAVet
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Friday, January 30, 2004 - 11:47 AM UTC
TreadHead,
Don't worry I am interested in the differences between the Bismarck and Tirpitz(sp) as well....

Sean
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Friday, January 30, 2004 - 12:34 PM UTC

Good, good.....we need to stay together on this.

But! WARNING! WARNING!.....Regarding the Mini Hobbies Bismark. It may indeed be a 're-box' of a Tamiya Bismark, but the plastic (as I believe garry already has said), is much softer!! More similar to Italeri's 'soft' plastic. Come to think of it, it's identical in texture to my IMEX 1/35th scale Apache model kit! Same soft, maleable plastic that doesn't like the #11 Xacto blade at all.
So be careful SonOfAVet.

Tread.
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Friday, January 30, 2004 - 02:04 PM UTC

So......modelguy2, (trying to say this with a 'straight' face) I take it you've done a ship or two?

Tread.

_GOTOTOP