_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
Heller 1/100 17 Century ship of the line
JJ1973
Visit this Community
Niedersachsen, Germany
KitMaker: 1,835 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,832 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 20, 2017 - 12:24 AM UTC
Looks pretty cool, Ken!

And, as Russ before, I'm sorry but I can't help you with any detailed knowledge on the ships of that age...

Cheers,
Jan
kpnuts
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,179 posts
Model Shipwrights: 427 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 24, 2017 - 10:52 PM UTC

all well I've fixed the foremast and strengthened it with a rod up the middle, making it a waterline model had an unexpected problem to it the main mast locates in an I shaped piece which is glued to the bottom of the hull to keep the mast central and true since I cut the bottom of the hull off obviously that locating area was no longer there also the mast was a lot higher than it should have been, luckily I still had the bottom of the hull that I cut off so I put the mast in it laid a rule across the hull and marked where it cam on the mast and cut that piece off but the mast is tapered at the bottom and the holes through the decks must be the same size as when I put the mast in it Leaned either way so I had a cunning idea and wrapped masking tape round the bottom of the mast till it was a snug fit in the bottom hole ( only problem now is the mast seems to lean sternwards) so now I just have that problem to sort and of course to make sure it is square with the center line as well.

d6mst0
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,925 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,298 posts
Posted: Friday, August 25, 2017 - 12:19 AM UTC
Maybe taking up drinking will help, only kidding. The ship is looking great and hope you get it resolved with as little effort as possible.
RussellE
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 3,959 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,777 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 27, 2017 - 08:18 AM UTC
'cor blimey!

them's big masts!
kpnuts
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Sunday, March 18, 2018 - 02:18 AM UTC
Hi all well I've got this back out as Gandale (Alan on another forum posted an easy way to do the stays on this) (That's what's been scaring me from continuing this build) baring in mind this is my first attempt at doing them I'm quite chuffed with the result (obviously I've seen them done millions of times better but hey I can only get better from now on) 

RussellE
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Sunday, March 18, 2018 - 04:20 PM UTC
nice work on the stays Ken.

Practice makes perfect.

Quite a fleet you've got there
kpnuts
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Wednesday, April 11, 2018 - 12:58 AM UTC
Hi all got this out to do some work on it. There seems to be a problem with the cheap paint I used on the base (Not had this problem before) the base started off dk blue but over time it seemed to go brackish

Which I didn't mind too much as it just looks like dirty harbour water but worryingly it is doing this from the edges and seems to be progressing inward

Do you think this will progress, if so should I stripp it all off (assuming I can) then start again, any suggestions.
kpnuts
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Wednesday, April 11, 2018 - 01:01 AM UTC
Hi Russell the Herman marwede in the background is one I'm working on that I seem to not have posted on here I must correct that.
RussellE
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Wednesday, April 11, 2018 - 02:24 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi all got this out to do some work on it. There seems to be a problem with the cheap paint I used on the base (Not had this problem before) the base started off dk blue but over time it seemed to go brackish

Which I didn't mind too much as it just looks like dirty harbour water but worryingly it is doing this from the edges and seems to be progressing inward

Do you think this will progress, if so should I stripp it all off (assuming I can) then start again, any suggestions.

Hmmm... maybe the paint is oxidizing? Or reacting to the silicon water? If it continues to progress you might need to make a new base. I don't think you'll have much luck stripping the water and paint off. Those things are pretty permanent once down. This is assuming of course there's no damage to the ship itself???

Quoted Text

Hi Russell the Herman marwede in the background is one I'm working on that I seem to not have posted on here I must correct that.

Yes, please do Ken
 _GOTOTOP