_GOTOBOTTOM
Ships by Class/Type: Carriers
Topics on all types of carriers from the early 20th century to today.
1/350 Trumpeters USS YORKTOWN CV10 1944
rolltide31
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,481 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,332 posts
Posted: Monday, January 04, 2016 - 02:16 AM UTC
Hi everyone,

The results of the community vote clearly decided that my next large build was going to be Trumpeter's 1/350 scale USS Yorktown with the Pontos Upgrade kit.

With that decision made this will be the build log for that build.

Specifications(As built, 1943)
Displacement: 27,100 tons standard; 36,200 tons full load
Dimensions (wl): 820' x 93' x 28.3' (full load) / 249.9 x 28.3 x 8.6 (full load) meters
Dimensions (max.): 872' x 147.5' / 265.8 x 45 meters
Armor: 4"-2.5" belt; 1.5" hangar & protective deck(s); 4" bulkheads; 1.5" STS (top, side of pilot house); 2.5" (top) steering gear
Power plant: 8 boilers (565 psi, 850°F); 4 steam turbines; 4 shafts; 150,000 shp (design)
Speed: 32.7 knots
Endurance (design): 20,000 nautical miles @ 15 knots
Armament: 4 twin & 4 single 5"/38 gun mounts; 8 quad 40-mm/56-cal gun mounts; 46 single 20-mm/70-cal guns mounts
Aircraft: 91 (Air Group 5, October–December 1943)
Aviation facilities: 1 deck-edge, 2 centerline elevators; 2 H4B hydraulic catapults (1 flight deck, 1 hangar deck)
Crew: 2,600+ (ship's company + air wing, as designed)

A little of her history:

USS YORKTOWN was laid down on 1 December 1941 at Newport News, Va., by the Newport News Shipbuilding & Drydock Co. as BON HOMME RICHARD; renamed YORKTOWN on 26 September 1942; launched on 21 January 1943, sponsored by Mrs. Eleanor Roosevelt; and commissioned on 15 April 1943 at the Norfolk Navy Yard, Capt. Joseph J. ("Jocko") Clark in command.

YORKTOWN remained in the Norfolk area until 21 May 1943 at which time she got underway for shakedown training in the vicinity of Trinidad. She returned to Norfolk on 17 June and began post-shakedown availability. The aircraft carrier completed repairs on 1 July and began air operations out of Norfolk until the 6th. On the latter day, she exited Chesapeake Bay on her way to the Pacific Ocean.

She transited the Panama Canal on 11 July and departed Balboa on the 12th. The warship arrived in Pearl Harbor on 24 July 1943 and began a month of exercises in the Hawaiian Islands. On 22 August, she stood out of Pearl Harbor, bound for her first combat of the war. Her task force, TF 15, arrived at the launching point about 128 miles from Marcus Island early on the morning of 31 August. She spent most of that day launching fighter and bomber strikes on Marcus Island before beginning the retirement to Hawaii that evening. The aircraft carrier reentered Pearl Harbor on 7 September and remained there for two days.

On the 9th, she stood out to sea, bound for the west coast of the United States. She arrived in San Francisco on 13 September, loaded aircraft and supplies, and returned to sea on the 15th. Four days later, the aircraft carrier reentered Pearl Harbor. After 10 days in the Hawaiian Islands, YORKTOWN returned to sea to conduct combat operations on the 29th. Early on the morning of 5 October 1943, she began two days of air strikes on Japanese installations on Wake Island. After retiring to the east for the night, she resumed those air raids early on the morning of the 6th and continued them through most of the day. That evening, the task group began its retirement to Hawaii. YORKTOWN arrived at Oahu on 11 October and, for the next month, conducted air training operations out of Pearl Harbor.

On 10 November, YORKTOWN departed Pearl Harbor in company with Task Force (TF) 50 — the Fast Carrier Forces, Pacific Fleet — to participate in her first major assault operation, the occupation of certain of the Gilbert Islands. On the 19th, she arrived at the launch point near Jaluit and Mili and, early that morning, launched the first of a series of raids to suppress enemy air-power during the amphibious assaults on Tarawa, Abemama, and Makin. On the 20th, she not only sent raids back to the airfield at Jaluit but some of her planes also supported the troops wresting Makin from the Japanese. On 22 November, her air group concentrated upon installations and planes at Mili once again. Before returning to Pearl Harbor, the aircraft carrier made passing raids on the installations at Wotje and Kwajalein Atolls on 4 December 1943. The warship reentered Pearl Harbor on 9 December and began a month of air training operations in the Hawaiian Islands.

On 16 January 1944, the warship exited Pearl Harbor once again to support an amphibious assault, Operation Flintlock, the Marshall Islands operation. Her task group, Task Group (TG) 58.1, arrived at its launching point early on the morning of 29 January, and its carriers - YORKTOWN, USS LEXINGTON (CV 16), and USS COWPENS (CVL 25) - began sending air strikes aloft at about 0520 for attacks on Taroa airfield located on Maloelap Atoll. Throughout the day, her aircraft hit Maloelap in preparation for the assaults on Majuro and Kwajalein scheduled for the 31st. On the 30th,YORKTOWN and her sister carriers shifted targets to Kwajalein to begin softening up one of the targets itself. When the troops stormed ashore on January 31st, YORKTOWN aviators continued their strikes on Kwajalein in support of the troops attacking that atoll. The same employment occupied the YORKTOWN air group during the first three days in February. On the 4th, however, the task group retired to the Fleet anchorage at recently secured Majuro Atoll.

Over the next four months, YORKTOWN participated in a series of raids in which she ranged from the Marianas in the north to New Guinea in the south. After eight days at Majuro, she sortied with her task group on 12 February 1944 to conduct air strikes on the main Japanese anchorage at Truk Atoll. Those highly successful raids occurred on 16 and 17 February. On the 18th, the carrier set a course for the Marianas and, on the 22nd, conducted a single day of raids on enemy airfields and installations on Saipan. That same day, she cleared the area on her way back to Majuro. The warship arrived in Majuro lagoon on 26 February and remained there, resting and replenishing until 8 March. On the latter day, the carrier stood out of Majuro, rendezvoused with the rest of TF 58, and shaped a course for Espiritu Santo in the New Hebrides. She reached her destination on 13 March and remained there for 10 days before getting underway for another series of raids on the Japanese middle defense line. On 30 and 31 March, she launched air strikes on enemy installations located in the Palau Islands; and, on 1 April, her aviators went after the island of Woleai. Five days later, she returned to her base at Majuro for a week of replenishment and recreation.

On 13 April 1944, YORKTOWN returned to sea once more. On this occasion however, she laid in a course for the northern coast of New Guinea. On 21 April, she began launching raids in support of General Douglas MacArthur's assault on the Hollandia area. That day, her aviators attacked installations in the Wakde-Sarmi area of northern New Guinea. On the 22nd and 23rd, they shifted to the landing areas at Hollandia themselves and began providing direct support for the assault troops. After those attacks, she retired from the New Guinea coast for another raid on Truk lagoon, which her aircraft carried out on 29 and 30 April. The aircraft carrier returned to Majuro on 4 May; however, two days later she got underway again, bound for Oahu. The warship entered Pearl Harbor on 11 May and, for the next 18 days, conducted training operations in the Hawaiian Islands. On 29 May, she headed back to the central Pacific. YORKTOWN entered Majuro lagoon again on 3 June and began preparations for her next major amphibious support operation - the assault on the Marianas.

On 6 June 1944, the aircraft carrier stood out of Majuro with TF 58 and set a course for the Mariana Islands. After five days steaming, she reached the launch point and began sending planes aloft for the preliminary softening up of targets in preparation for the invasion of Saipan. YORKTOWN aircrews concentrated primarily upon airfields located on Guam. Those raids continued until the 13th when YORKTOWN, with two of the task groups of TF 58, steamed north to hit targets in the Bonin Islands. That movement resulted in a one-day raid on the 16th before the two task groups headed back to the Marianas to join in the Battle of the Philippine Sea. Task Force 58 reunited on 18 June and began a short wait for the approaching Japanese Fleet and its aircraft.

On the morning of 19 June 1944, YORKTOWN aircraft began strikes on Japanese air bases on Guam in order to deny them to their approaching carrier-based air and to keep the land-based planes out of the fray. Duels with Guam-based aircraft continued until mid-morning. At about 1017, however, she got her first indication of the carrier plane attacks when a large bogey appeared on her radar screen. At that point she divided her attention, sending part of her air group back to Guam and another portion of it out to meet the raid closing from the west. Throughout the battle, YORKTOWN's planes continued both to strike the Guam airfields and intercept the carrier raids. During the first day of the Battle of the Philippine Sea, YORKTOWN aircraft claimed 37 enemy planes destroyed and dropped 21 tons of bombs on the Guam air bases.

On the morning of the 20th YORKTOWN steamed generally west with TF 58 while search planes groped for the fleeing enemy task force. Contact was not made with the enemy until about 1540 that afternoon when a USS HORNET (CV 12) pilot spotted the retiring Combined Fleet units. YORKTOWN launched a 40-plane strike between 1623 and 1643 and sent it winging after the Japanese. Her planes found Admiral Ozawa's force at about 1840 and began a 20-minute attack during which they went after ZUIKAKU on whom they succeeded in scoring some hits. They, however, failed to sink that carrier. They also attacked several other ships in the Japanese force though no records show a confirmed sinking to the credit of the YORKTOWN air group. On 21 June, the carrier joined in the futile stern chase on the enemy carried out by TF 58 but gave up that evening when air searches failed to contact the Japanese. YORKTOWN returned to the Marianas area and resumed air strikes on Pagan on June 22 and 23. On the 24th, she launched another series of raids on Iwo Jima. On 25 June, she laid in a course for Eniwetok and arrived there two days later. On the 30th, the aircraft carrier headed back to the Marianas and the Bonins. She renewed combat operations on 3 and 4 July with a series of attacks on Iwo Jima and Chichi Jima. On the 6th the warship resumed strikes in the Marianas and continued them for the next 17 days. On 23 July, she headed off to the west for a series of raids on Yap, Ulithi, and the Palaus. She carried out those attacks on 25 July and arrived back in the Marianas on the 29th.

On July 31, 1944, she cleared the Mariana Islands and headed, via Eniwetok and Pearl Harbor, back to the United States. YORKTOWN arrived in the Puget Sound Navy Yard on 17 August and began a two-month overhaul. She completed repairs on 6 October and departed Puget Sound on the 9th. She stopped at the Alameda Naval Air Station from 11 to 13 October to load planes and supplies and then set a course back to the western Pacific. After a stop at Pearl Harbor from the 18th to the 24th, YORKTOWN arrived back in Eniwetok on 31 October 1944. She departed the lagoon on 1 November and arrived at Ulithi on the 3rd. There, she reported for duty with TG 38.4. That task group left Ulithi on 6 November, and YORKTOWN departed with it.

(History Continues

In February 1970, YORKTOWN transferred to Quonset Point, R.I., and was relieved by USS INTREPID (CVS 11) as the flagship for Commander Carrier Group 16. On 27 June 1970, YORKTOWN was decommissioned at Philadelphia, Pa., and was berthed with the Philadelphia Group, Atlantic Reserve Fleet. She remained there almost three years before her name was struck from the Navy list on 1 June 1973. During 1974, the Navy Department approved the donation of YORKTOWN to the Patriot's Point Development Authority, Charleston, S.C. She was towed from Bayonne, N.J., to Charleston S.C., in June of 1975. She was formally dedicated as a memorial on the 200th anniversary of the Navy, 13 October 1975.

USS YORKTOWN earned 11 battle stars and the Presidential Unit Citation during World War II and five battle stars for Vietnam service.

I will be building the USS Yorktown in her 1944 fit preparing to launch her aircraft after the IJN Aircraft Carrier Zuikaku.

KIT: Trumpeter's 1/350 Scale USS Yorktown CV10 1944
Upgrade Kit: Pontos USS Yorktown Upgrade Set
Accessories: 1/350 Trumpeter Aircraft Sets (F4F, TBD, SBC2D)
Gator Mask for Camouflage Measure 33, Design 10a
References:
1) USS Yorktown CV10 (Warship Data 5)
2) Shipcraft 12 - Essex Class Aircraft Carriers
3) NAVSOURCE Website
4) Patriot's Point, SC - The USS Yorktown

Here is a picture of the Pontos Kits

The Pontos kit comes with everything a builder could need to build this kit. Just to cover a couple of items it has brass masts, resin dual 5" guns, brass 20mm Oerlinken's, all the brass barrels, the MK51 40mm Gun Director, and a ton of brass.

I first began with the hull. Even though I will be mounting her in an ocean scene preparing to launch aircraft I mounted the full hull instead of the waterline.

The fir was good but definitely not perfect. A recommendation to future builders would be the removal or cutting of the bracing bars seen in the first picture. I recommend this because they are a little wider than the hull bottom and it requires a good bit of pressure to ensure the upper hull fits correctly into the grove.

I failed to notice this during the dry fit. By removing or cutting those bars a builder should be able to manipulate the upper hull a little easier.

After the glue dried I spent a good bit of time sanding the sides to make them even. It was successful in that the overlap is not as pronounced as it had been but it is still there a little.

More sanding to go though.

The next step was mounting the hanger deck to the hull.

The hanger deck comes in three separate pieces. The fit was good but the middle deck did require a little plastic removed from the front port corner to get it to sit flush.

There still remains some gaps around the deck but nothing that cant be fixed with some gap filler.

Here is an overall shot.

The mid deck sheet and the aft deck sheet fit well but there is a noticeable seam that will require some putty.

as you can see in the picture it is unfortunate that the seam is placed close to some deck plating detail.

Well that is as far as I went with this session. I am still planning out the build and will have another update later in the week.

Take care and thanks for stopping by. All comments, suggestions, and criticism are always welcome.

Dave

AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
Model Shipwrights: 154 posts
Posted: Monday, January 04, 2016 - 02:36 AM UTC
My second day back at work, lucky the phones are quiet so I've had time to read your intro post several times through.

The history lesson is a great way to launch such a comprehensive build, it really puts things in perspective and sheds light on the various stages of the process.

Thanks for sharing so much info and detail, I'm really looking forward to following the progress on this one.

Cheers, D (perpetual Shipwrights lurker)
TRM5150
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 2,159 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,400 posts
Posted: Monday, January 04, 2016 - 02:46 AM UTC
And away we go!! Look at that monster! You kicked things off in style my friend! Count me in to follow along! Enjoy the build!!
ghauser
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 158 posts
Model Shipwrights: 123 posts
Posted: Monday, January 04, 2016 - 07:43 AM UTC
Dave I look forward to this build. I have the Franklin and the pontos set in my stash. I will be taking notes from your build. Cheers!!
RussellE
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 3,959 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,777 posts
Posted: Monday, January 04, 2016 - 03:53 PM UTC
Happy new Year Dave!

Wow! A monumental kit you've taken on there!

I'll be following along for the ride!

Russ
JJ1973
Visit this Community
Niedersachsen, Germany
KitMaker: 1,835 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,832 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 05, 2016 - 12:19 AM UTC
Now doubt at all that I am in, of course!!

Great start Dave - I really love your way of setting the stage for this build with your details and history of the original vessel. It looks like a lot of work, but for a big project like this it certainly is a fitting way to start - I think I will copy this general idea of yours for my next build and start with some good information instead of just saying, 'hey, hello all and off we go...'

Really looking forward to your build!!

Cheers,
Jan
berndm
Visit this Community
Niedersachsen, Germany
KitMaker: 844 posts
Model Shipwrights: 151 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 05, 2016 - 05:15 PM UTC
Thats indeed an impressive project and a good start on it, Dave !
Happy modelling !
RedDuster
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 7,078 posts
Model Shipwrights: 6,649 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 06, 2016 - 03:42 AM UTC
Hi Dave,

Nice start, pity about that seam on the hanger, how much will it show with the flight deck in place?

Will be following this with much interest.

Cheers

Si
rolltide31
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, January 06, 2016 - 07:00 AM UTC
Hi everyone,

Thanks for the kind comments and welcome aboard for this build. I'm looking forward to it.

I'll be be going slow as the drydock is full with higher priority builds but I'll find some time each week for a little work

Si, with the flight deck installed I doubt it will be noticable at all. One thing I want to do though is open up the sides so there is more visibility of the hanger deck. Haven't worked that out yet as I'm still waiting for reference material.

So far it all looks good and it's a comprehensive kit which will be fun to build, well up to the 46 20mm oerlikon as guns...will work those but by bit.

Thanks again, hope to have a little more to view soon

Dave
rolltide31
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Monday, January 18, 2016 - 02:24 AM UTC
Hello everyone,

Spent a little time on the Yorktown this weekend. I finally finished filling the gaps around the hanger deck nd sanded them down. I now realize while I do love Mr Surfacer 1000 it would probably be a little easier with Mr Surfacer 500. The 1000 doesn't fill the gaps that well without numerous coats.

I did run into my first fit problem. The front deck was a good fit even though there were some gaps. However the location of the gaps did not cause this fit problem, well it could have but I am not sure.

Anyway, I dry fitted the forward elevator walls and the front wall would not go into its slot without being angled.

img src="http://gallery.kitmaker.net/data/30207/0116161336_resized_1_.jpg" />

I determined that the forward deck was a little to far to the rear, but when I looked it did not have a gap soooo.

Anyway, after looking and thinking for a bit I decided instead of sanding things down I would remove the rear raised slot.

Before removal

and after

anyway, this did the trick without cause future issues.

There are gaps around but they will be hidden behind the outer walls so no issues there.

The next step was adding all the blocks for the port walls,

Good fit but still need a little adjustments here and there.

After that I wanted to see how the fit was for one of the starboard walls.

here the fit wasn't great, I had to slide the wall a little higher for the bottom to be flush with the sides. So far no impact but we will see.

And here it is dry fitted.

The gap you see in the picture all but disappears when pressure is added.

Well that is it for the work this week. I did receive some improve version MK13 Torpedoes from Master Model. These will be added in the end.

These are nicely turned and even have the detail from the disintegrating nose cover. Looking forward to working these near the end.

Well that's it for now, thanks for stopping in and as always, comments, suggestions, and criticism are always welcomed.

thanks

Dave
rolltide31
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Monday, January 18, 2016 - 07:32 AM UTC
Hi all,

I forgot to mention that this build will represent the USS Yorktown during the attack on the IJN Yamato instead of the Battle of the Phillipine Sea. The Trumpeter kit is based on the Yorktown after her refit in September 1944. The Air Group will be Air Group 9.

Thanks

Dave
JJ1973
Visit this Community
Niedersachsen, Germany
KitMaker: 1,835 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,832 posts
Posted: Monday, January 18, 2016 - 10:15 AM UTC
Hi Dave,

great progress, really coming along smoothly.

Small gaps and some minor misfits seems to be quite typical for the Trumpeter kits, but that's nothing that really stops you.

I agree with your assessment on the Mr. Surfacer - I use the 500 for most of my touch ups and fillings, the 1000 more for the airbrush.

Cheers,
Jan
RussellE
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 3,959 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,777 posts
Posted: Monday, January 18, 2016 - 03:59 PM UTC
Wow Dave!

you have been very busy with all the builds you have going on! Coming along nicely though!
RedDuster
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 7,078 posts
Model Shipwrights: 6,649 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 19, 2016 - 02:37 AM UTC
Coming on great Dave,

Good job you are busy at the bench, cos there is a big chunk of real like between me and mine right now.

Cheers

Si
TracyWhite
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 527 posts
Model Shipwrights: 464 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 19, 2016 - 03:28 AM UTC
Throwing in - any detail questions you have feel free to ask and I'll do my best to answer. I have a lot of both research and references for the class.
TRM5150
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 2,159 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,400 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 19, 2016 - 03:32 AM UTC
Nice to see things moving along there Dave!! Keep it going!
rolltide31
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, January 19, 2016 - 07:23 AM UTC
Gentlemen,

Thanks for the support and comments. One comment I do have about the Pontos kit is the lack of water right doors. Its a good thing Trumpeter did a good job with the molded doors.

Tracy, Thank you for the offer. Any information you have regarding the hanger bay and detail about the hanger bay would be beneficial and greatly appreciated.

Thanks again all.

Dave
TracyWhite
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, January 20, 2016 - 10:58 AM UTC
It's hard to write concisely about the hangar bay as the area changed as much as the outside of the ships throughout the war, yet they're "boring" so there's far fewer photos. I still haven't found any good clear photos of the after elevator and details starboard of it (a few here and there of the pits of various ships at different times, etc.; there's a short snippet of it in The Fighting Lady at 5:06 at least)

US Carrier Hangar bays were built by putting some heavy transverse (side to side) beams in place, then welding sheet metal (thick) between with horizontal stringers spaced from deck to overhead for stiffness. I'll see if I have a halfway decent photo of that I can pop online - it's a bit of work to add them, but not really difficult with the proper sheet styrene and you can economize by only doing the areas opposite of open doors.

The original Essexes were launched with open doors from the hangar bay to the outside. By open I mean no attempted to stop light from getting out at night, so they quickly designed and added light labrynths around the doors to stop the light. the key take-aways from that document are the locations as well as the fact that the deck was to be painted black for 20 feet around the opening. I haven't found any good drawings yet, but have photos in the Appendices of the CV-13 Franklin War Damage Report that might help (3996-44 and 4006-44).

Even though it's sooted up, photo 3999-44 should show the underside of the flight deck fairly well - the transverse girders I mentioned earlier are running left to right (port to starboard if you want to get nautical) and the thinner stringers running for and aft are right underneath the flight deck itself.

The aft elevator wasn't just an open pit - generally, when the main elevator platform was up, an auxiliary elevator lifted flush with the main (hangar) deck below it so that there was more room to move aircraft around. It wasn't the same size as the main elevator and was a bit less than half, essentially covering the pit to the centerline of the ship and keeping everything starboard of that point open. I haven't been able to find out if that was a later mod and it's not always present in shots of the hangar deck, but it's there regularly enough to be considered.
rolltide31
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Thursday, January 21, 2016 - 04:07 AM UTC
Tracy,

Thank you for the information. I intent on detailing the hanger deck due to my desire to have the side door open. I ordered a bunch of research material from the Floating Dry Dock but am still waiting on it to arrive. The information you provided will be a great addition and will be really helpful.

On a side note, I just scored the Trumpeter USS Franklin 1944 off Ebay for a steal. That'll be my next Essex Class.

thanks again for the information.

Dave
TracyWhite
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, January 21, 2016 - 07:52 AM UTC
Just remembered that i also had meant to mention that the bulkheads surrounding the elevators were not painted white! While I haven't found any official documentation yet, it is most likely 5-N Navy Blue to more closely match the flight deck stain. However, the top six feet were to be painted black to help damp light leak when running up engines in the hangar at night starting in late 1943. The document I posted is for CVLs, but there are photos of this same detail on other fleet carriers such as Enterprise and Essex (although i can't find any online at the moment).

Congrats on the Franklin kit - that's one that I have, although I'm converting mine to Yorktown.
TracyWhite
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, January 27, 2016 - 10:20 PM UTC
If you can find a copy of this book it should give you some decent plans to start laying out detail in the hangar bay. Even though it's for Intrepid and not Yorktown, the transverse girders and other major details should be the same.
rolltide31
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Monday, February 01, 2016 - 03:40 AM UTC
Tracy,

Thank you for the reference, I have it on hand and have been looking through it. I also received my order from Floating Dry Dock today with plan and pictures of the old girl. Looking forward to rolling out the plans and taking a good look.

I was able to find some time last weekend to work on the Yorktown but was unable to find time to post an update. So here it is.

I ran into another problem with the upper fore deck. It is a little too long which interfered with placement of the endcap piece.

Here is a picture:

I solved the problem by removing the tab on the bottom of the part. It seated well and it looks correct, at least to the naked eye. I just hope there are no second and third order effects from this correction.

Here it is with the tab removed and glued in place.

Anyway, after that I moved on to completing the forward structure.

Before glueing in place I drilled out all the port holes, there are a lot on this ship..

From here I took out the first sheet of Photo etch, its is quite daunting.

And with that I made my first "schoolboy mistake" by bending the PE in the wrong direction. Go figure

Here it is nicely bent and ready for the blackening wash...

Before washing I went to dry fit it and found out I bent the pieces in the wrong direction, well correcting the direction did not work out too well and both front pieces broke off.

Well into the wash it went and I will figure out a correction method later.

After that I wen to working on more of the side structures and cutting out the rolling doors.

This one turned out pretty good but the one to the left is not aligned with the door represented on the rear part.

uggg, anyway, that's as far as I made it last weekend. I skipped the Yorktown this weekend so that I could work on the Z-32 and put some color on the I19. Updates for those coming up.

I leave you with some more shots of the Yorktown progress.

More to come soon, thanks for stopping in and as always, comments, suggestions, and criticism are welcome.

Dave
LCB248
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 54 posts
Model Shipwrights: 18 posts
Posted: Monday, February 01, 2016 - 08:55 AM UTC
I have two models to finish (Dauntless SBD and an M48 tank) and I'm going to start on my 1/350 Tamiya USS Missouri, 1945 version. This is going to be my first ship model in 30+ years and the first ever that I try to build as a nice display piece. Following you is going to be a huge help to me! Thanks.

LCB
rolltide31
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Monday, February 01, 2016 - 09:08 AM UTC
Larry,

Good luck with your build. I do hope that you will have a build log for that. The Tamiya Missouri 1945 was my first ship build and I learned a lot. It is sitting in my unfinished stack of my stash but I plan to return to it sometime soon.

What AM kits are you going to apply or are you building it OOB?

Dave
Cadeus
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 144 posts
Model Shipwrights: 139 posts
Posted: Monday, February 01, 2016 - 10:23 AM UTC
I did that earlier on my 1/350 indy. I bent one of the small platforms on the aft of the superstructure deck the wrong way. When i bent it the other direction the railings fell off. What i did was solder the pieces back together. It worked for me, maybe you could align the pieces and solder underneath so its hidden. Hit it with a diamond file and youd never see it from my house. Just a suggestion. I could've used glue but in my opinion its easier to solder and then you can file it down smoothly and slowly to get the shape back. Plus its a stronger bond. This is an impressive build and im starting on the dragon 1/350 CV-22 so im following along with interest as ive never built a carrier before.
 _GOTOTOP