_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
Trumpeter's USS Texas
warreni
Visit this Community
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 5,926 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,624 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 21, 2016 - 02:47 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Well then the spring semester is finally over, so construction should restart by this weekend. But before that I have to find a way to remove the paint from the hull and deck without damaging the molded on detail (the hairy brush didn't do a good job of painting) Any tips?

What type of paint is it?
LZ32-TX
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 34 posts
Model Shipwrights: 28 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 21, 2016 - 04:30 AM UTC
They're model master enamels (not the best paints, have the consistency of water for some reason)
LZ32-TX
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, May 24, 2016 - 05:15 AM UTC
not much progress has been made these past two days.
only got the quad 40mm bofors

and other assorted weapons and stuff.

Then I had to make a stop at the local hobby town for these two (yay, no more straining my eyes with these tiny pieces.
But then I suffered a moment of weakness (my mom just about killed me when she saw the extra box )

More updates, as soon as I strip the hull of paint and figure out how to use the airbrush
Deranius
Visit this Community
Novi Sad, Serbia & Montenegro
KitMaker: 60 posts
Model Shipwrights: 56 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 10, 2016 - 02:38 AM UTC
So far you are doing great with this build Marco... I will follow this one.
JJ1973
Visit this Community
Niedersachsen, Germany
KitMaker: 1,835 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,832 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 13, 2016 - 09:47 AM UTC
That looks good!!

So you arrived at the 'tiny stuff mass production' - one of the area of shipbuilding that requires some patience...

Cheers,
Jan
Dangeroo
Visit this Community
Zurich, Switzerland
KitMaker: 2,058 posts
Model Shipwrights: 163 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 13, 2016 - 12:34 PM UTC
Hey Marco, nice work so far.

Tell your mom that she should be glad you didn't get the premium edition.

Keep it up!
Stefan
LZ32-TX
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Thursday, July 28, 2016 - 10:31 PM UTC
Well its been a while since my last update and I am sadden to say I took one step forward and two steps back in terms of progress. After I had stripped the hull of paint I decided to implement Paul Budzik's fix for the hull, which resulted in major surgery since I had already glued the hull together with the internal bulkheads

The overly large ¿hull blister? was reduced in size where necessary. Managed to glue the hull piece I had removed but there was a lot of putty and sanding work to be done.
Afterwards I used black paint painted in lines to suggest hull plates while also using plastic strips to add details removed during my overzealous sanding of the hull.

Finally I managed to get around to painting the hull. First a shot of black primer.

then I painted the underwater hull with model master insignia red with an air brush.

Lets just say that this airbrush work was a bit of a fiasco in progress First I think the paint was to thick so it came out in small globs. Then I thinned it too much
Finally managed to get it too come out okay but I need a second coat of paint and I ended up using the entire bottle in the first coat.
So any advice on the thinner to paint ratio?
Till next time
 _GOTOTOP