_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
Why do Warships fit in with Armorama ?
garrybeebe
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 1,969 posts
Model Shipwrights: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 01, 2004 - 08:15 AM UTC
For me its all Guns and Turrets ! Thats my favorite part of tanks. Bombers are my favorite aircraft, after all there just flying battleships! And Battleships are my favorite warship. Once again Guns and Turrets! Ok, ok thats not all there is to it, But its a large part. The other part is History, And specialy WW-2 history. This ties in all military subjects together. We try to relive and honer history in the models we build, to catch that spirit the way it was. We do this in Planes, armor, ships, figures and diorama's. they all tie in, and that is what makes Armorama such a great site! But never forget the Turrets and Guns !

Regards,

Garry
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,221 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,821 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 01, 2004 - 09:25 AM UTC
Hey the first word in Armorama is ARMOR! What's got more armor than a battleship? Even a E100 pales in comparison to even the thinest armor on a battlewagon. For those who get all excited about Anzio Annie, what was that gun, an 11 inch? Doesn't hold a candle to those nine big boys they Yamato had.

Yep, it's guns, turrets, and ARMOR for me!

blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 01, 2004 - 10:43 AM UTC
KAAAABOOOOOMMMMM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,000 posts
Model Shipwrights: 453 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 01, 2004 - 06:09 PM UTC

LOL....lol...hmmmmm, sound's like HalfYank's stepping all over that 'big box vs.small box' argument! :-)
To address your latter point. I have posted a very similar opinion on the Forums some time ago, about how I feel that modeling (in my mind) is a way for me to personally pay an 'homage' to the soldier's who actually participated in such extensions of bravery, selflessness, and camaraderie. Excluding any sense of patriotism, or political 'bent', but instead, embracing the idea and principle of brotherhood is what binds it all together. Whether it be Air, Sea or Land. The bond is the same.
Our 'fearless leader' Jim understands all that. That's precisely why there's Forum's for all the 'branches'. Smart man that Mr. Starkweather!
And you're also pretty sharp there Garry. You obviously have attached your admiration and courage-based salutations towards the Seabourne hero's of the conflict. And you should be acknowledged for such! I for one have always had a love/hate realtionship with the Sea. Men who have served in that capacity have my undying admiration if for no other reason than the unforgiving nature of the Sea itself. So, in my humble and unlearned opinion, how you regal their triumph's is entirely warranted and fully justified by the sheer history of Seabourne conflict! A history that obviously supercede's Airbourne conflict by millenia!

...my apologies for the 'rant'.

Tread.
MEBM
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 1,055 posts
Model Shipwrights: 30 posts
Posted: Monday, February 02, 2004 - 01:29 PM UTC
Hey, ya gotta love those 18.1 inch guns on the Yamato! (In cheap announcer voice) And for further reading, read "The Two Ocean War: A Short History (586 pages, not including maps and pictures) of the United States Navy in World War Two", by Samuel Eliot Morison. This is my favorite book, read it once a year.
kkeefe
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 1,416 posts
Model Shipwrights: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, February 02, 2004 - 03:02 PM UTC
Why? Well, for me it's because of those armored girdles that some of those big battlewagons were wearing.
 _GOTOTOP