_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
Model Waship 101 questions
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,221 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,821 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 04, 2004 - 06:47 AM UTC
I have a confession to make, as much as I post on this forum I've only actually MADE one model warship in twenty years, the USS Arizona. Now I've got the 1/600 Airfix HMS Warspite. Now that I have it I have a few questions from the more experienced modelers.

1. This kit has a two piece hull, split side by side. Now it looks a little weak to try to glue the sides together. Do I also glue the deck down at the same time?

2. If answer to #1 is to glue the deck down is there a good way to put spindles through the hull to mount to a base?

3. This model is very fragile. I've already noticed several guns that are bent or nearly broken. These would be the small caliber guns or anti aircraft guns. Any suggestions on replacements for the barrels. I'm not thinking after market stuff, but maybe straight pins or something?

4. The first thing I noticed is the main battery guns have a very flared end. They look like old time blunderbuses. I plan on replacing them with very small brass tubing. How do you cut tubing like this without crimping the end?

5. Any tips on masking the deck? I tried using liguid mask once and it didn't pull up very well. Any tricks on using this stuff? Do you use tape to mask the deck and if so how?

Any other tips or techiques you'd like to share would also be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

modelguy2
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 818 posts
Model Shipwrights: 278 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 04, 2004 - 07:35 AM UTC
#1 read my articles in the warships feature page.

#2 glue the hull halves together aligning the seam as you go. if you plan on mounting it on pedestal drill your holes before you put the deck on. Then you can epoxy putty or superglue some nuts in there if you like to accept bolts coming through the base/pedestals and finally into the ship. Make sure they're secure becaue once you have the deck on-that's it! White Ensign Models makes replacement 1/600 weapons and a dedicated PE set for this kit:

http://www.whiteensignmodels.com/brochure/wem_professional.htm

Here's one of the 1/600 PE quad Pom Pom (next to a resin) I did for the Belfast:

Of course if you'd rather you can go to the train shop and pick up some brass rod in varying diameters.....
garrybeebe
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 1,969 posts
Model Shipwrights: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 04, 2004 - 12:25 PM UTC
Hello Rodger, Modelguy has the right answers for joining the 2 hull halves. Small gun barrels can be replaced with streched sprue. Yah those flared airfix barrels suck! Brass tubing can be cut carefuly with a narrow grinding wheel. On masking the deck, sorry cant help ya there, I brush paint all of mine. I think it looks more natural that way, and a whole lot less work! But again, thats just me.

HTH,
Garry
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 07, 2004 - 07:32 AM UTC
I really hate those old vertical split hull kits. I would have thought you would have checked out one of those wonderful Tamiya large scale kits...of course there isn't one for the Warspite which I know is your favorite ship. Go with that PE kit and I'msure it will make you a beautiful Warspite.
 _GOTOTOP