_GOTOBOTTOM
New Content
Announcements on new content additions to the site.
Its Official
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Monday, April 04, 2016 - 06:26 AM UTC
Yes i know several years ago i questioned Trumpeter for making all those 200 scale ships. Well I have joined the darkside. I got a real good deal on the Arizona ($100) several years back. but that didnt count really it was just as big as a large battle ship in 350. So past several months i been hankering to get a better Bismarck. I had the academy with a lot of photoetch but a painted deck. THen lo and behold here was a guy offering the bismarck with eh MK set for $400. hmmm very interesting . I asked a question next thing i know he offered it for $380. aw heck had to get it. so that arrived last week, Well today i went and sealed my fate. The Iowa for $260. shame shame shame. Where the hell am i going to put that one?
But have no fear there will be no Hood NO Rodney to go with these. This is it no more I swear it.
RussellE
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 3,959 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,777 posts
Posted: Monday, April 04, 2016 - 02:57 PM UTC
Well Steve, going back now would be like trying to put toothpaste back in its tube
CaptSonghouse
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,274 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,236 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 05, 2016 - 10:39 PM UTC
Actually, I enjoy working in 1:200 for major ship types. I have an Ajax, Norfolk, and Suffolk on the ways.

I even purchased a Bismarck in part to get the parts needed for my Hipper and still arranged with Trumpy's distributor to purchase the extra sprues from that kit to complete the gun director suite for the cruiser!

--Karl
LionsDen
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 102 posts
Model Shipwrights: 38 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 06, 2016 - 08:53 PM UTC
Welcome to the dark side, Steve! My eyes turn 52 tomorrow and they're much better suited to 1/200 scale details than 350 or - eegads - 700 scale.

I think Karl just set the gold standard for dedication to a build! Karl, any pictures of the Hipper you can share with us?
CaptSonghouse
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,274 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,236 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 06, 2016 - 11:16 PM UTC

Quoted Text

...I think Karl just set the gold standard for dedication to a build! Karl, any pictures of the Hipper you can share with us?

Hi Troy!

It's not as drastic as I made it sound, because I have plans to depict the Bismarck in her last appearance on the surface, so the gear I needed for the Hipper will not be seen on the Bismarck project (just check out what I did to the 1:350 Ise kit a few years back on my "Kanpai" feature).

Right now, the Hipper's hull has been roughed out and I haven't gotten to any superstructure, yet. But, I must admit, 1:200 is nifty for cruiser-sized ships--the graceful lines of a cruiser really stand out, you can get into great structural detail, and have crew figures that look better than matchstick men. I will depict Hipper encountering the Glowworm at very close quarters, so the diorama footprint will still be manageable (by my standards, anyway). Pics to follow soon, hopefully!

--Karl
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Monday, April 11, 2016 - 01:49 AM UTC
i look forward to seeing that
LionsDen
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 102 posts
Model Shipwrights: 38 posts
Posted: Monday, April 11, 2016 - 11:28 PM UTC
Outstanding news Karl, I can't wait to see it! Dare we hope the kit manufacturers will take notice of your labors and expand their product offerings?
 _GOTOTOP