General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
Building Trumpeters 1/350 USS Nimitz
warreni
Visit this Community
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 5,926 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,624 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 17, 2016 - 01:49 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Warren,

Looking great with paint on, and air wing looking great fun.

Cheers

Si

Thanks Simon.
warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, August 20, 2016 - 03:07 AM UTC
So.. the PE set has been soaked and dried and I have started building stuff while the Haguro windows dry.

Here is one of the radar bases..

That's it for this second as I need to take some more photos..

Cheers
Warren
warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, August 21, 2016 - 02:01 AM UTC
Hello again.

Well my WEM PE set finally turned up on Friday but unfortunately instead of using stiff carboard to pack the paper envelopes they just used a few sheets of paper. So the two sets I got both have curves in them which is not a good thing. If an WEM person is reading this change your packing methods. There wasn't even a 'Do Not Bend' message anywhere on the envelopes. Here are the two sheets.

Then I started on the island pieces..

Bow I know that radar is not strictly correct for an early Nimitz but I like it better and it is the one I am using.

Next a little plastic with one antenna not included in either of my PE sets..

Then a small dish filled with ECM, radio and another larger antenna..

After all those next was the foremast building up the platforms from the bottom..

Next I have to work out how to reinforce the thin brass platform that is attached next. I have made the mast bit to go on it but need to find some small box section that has so far eluded me. Any ideas?

Cheers
Warren
warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, August 21, 2016 - 01:51 PM UTC
Back again with some more PE fun and games.

First up a radar aerial I finished yesterday.

Then my solution to stiffening up the delicate foremast platform..

Yep, I just glued some brass rod to the bottom. Couldn't be bothered waiting for square section tubing. Then on the top I glued the various plastic bits for that lower platform..

And that's it for now. Hopefully I will get the platform glued on tomorrow.

Cheers
Warren
fhvn4d
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 803 posts
Model Shipwrights: 51 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 21, 2016 - 04:20 PM UTC
Your work with PE is so exquisitely clean... how do you get enough glue onto these parts without it being seen!!!
RedDuster
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 7,078 posts
Model Shipwrights: 6,649 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 21, 2016 - 11:32 PM UTC
Hi Warren,

What Brian said, great stuff with the etch, These etched structures really give depth to a model, not up to your standard yet mate, but working on it.

Cheers

Si
warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, August 22, 2016 - 01:27 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Your work with PE is so exquisitely clean... how do you get enough glue onto these parts without it being seen!!!

Thanks for that Brian.

I only use minute amounts of whatever glue I need for the joint. Sometimes it doesn't work..

Cheers
Warren
warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, August 22, 2016 - 01:36 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Warren,

What Brian said, great stuff with the etch, These etched structures really give depth to a model, not up to your standard yet mate, but working on it.

Cheers

Si

Thanks Simon.

Maybe not in etch but you like rigging stuff more than I.

Cheers
Warren
warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, August 22, 2016 - 04:06 PM UTC
Just kept going with the foremast. First I added a couple of radar dishes to the lower platforms..

I then added the middle platform tp the top of the lower large platform..

After that I had to reinforce the upper platform with brass rod (like the lower one) ..

Then I started adding bits to it..

.. until I had added all the lights and aerials..

And that is when I called it a day.

Until tomorrow (or whenever)

Cheers
Warren
RussellE
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 3,959 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,777 posts
Posted: Monday, August 22, 2016 - 10:47 PM UTC
Looking very good Warren.

Have been off the grid for the last few weeks whilst on holiday only now getting the chance to check in now we have Internet access again.

BTW removing the apostrophe worked a charm: notifications coming through
warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, August 23, 2016 - 01:27 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Looking very good Warren.

Have been off the grid for the last few weeks whilst on holiday only now getting the chance to check in now we have Internet access again.

BTW removing the apostrophe worked a charm: notifications coming through

Glad to hear everything is working again.
warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, August 26, 2016 - 01:57 AM UTC
Hello Everyone.

Sorry for the break but we don't currently have a home phone line and therefore no internet. I am having to use a laptop tethered to my mobile to get this update to you all.

Be that as it may here we go. First up the top yardarm of the foremast..

Then we have a slightly blurry finished foremast..

I then started on the mast that sits behind the island. This is the plastic one..

.. but I have three different PE versions available. I started by annealing the PE and soldering a few little tabs on it to hold it all together after bending..

Only problem is that it is almost impossible to get a soldering iron down to the tabs and when you do it inevitably de-solders any tabs already there, even using a heatsink! Oh well. In the end I ended up with a mix of solder and CA and it came out like this..

And here are the plastic and PE ones together. I think the PE one looks better even though it is a bit wonky in places.

And that is it for now. Until next time.

Cheers
Warren
warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, August 27, 2016 - 02:27 AM UTC
Well, the internet is back on and now I can do a better update.

First we start with the air ducting that goes on the tower behind the island. The PE set gave you a template and you had to make the pieces look 3D instead of just flat. Here is the tallest duct and uses the PE part and two pieces of plasticard to give the right thickness..

Here are the two ducts in the raw..

And then finished, well except for paint..

While the internet was absent I spent a productive day getting peed off at times in the hobby room. This isn't the best thought out set Pete Hall. But it is one of your earlier efforts so I will forgive you this one.. Here is the tower in its finished, non-painted form ..

I don't think it is 100% accurate but it looks slightly better than the plastic one. No radar dish on top yet.

Then I went back to the island and started the railings. More big time fun I can tell ya! I only noticed the tiny marks on the railings where the fields were supposed to go, But when I used them on the last one it didn't seem to line up anyway.. meh..

Lots more to do on the island then paint it all.

Cheers for now
Warren
Littorio
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 4,728 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,080 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 27, 2016 - 03:44 AM UTC
Your brass work is looking good Warren, love the apartment block, sorry island

Don't know if you've seen this build, this Nimitz took 1,532 hours over 2 years to build with hanger and bridge lighting plus corrections for a 1976 build. Worth a look.
warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, August 27, 2016 - 04:05 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Your brass work is looking good Warren, love the apartment block, sorry island

Thanks Littorio.

Now, down to the final update of this weekend. First I constructed the older radar aerial for the top of the radar mast. First you start with these parts.

A bit of bending here, a bit of bending there..

.. Then a bit of glueing..

.. a bit of painting..

.. et voila! Something that looks a little like a radar aerial off the Nimitz circa 1975!

Then I started painting other bits and bobs. Radar tower..

.. Island..

.. and foremast..

After I discovered that I have misplaced one of the numbers that goes on the island I started on the flight deck surrounds. First up the LSO's platform..

I am wondering how often they have to bail and use the safety net under the platform? Then I started installing the safety nets around the perimeter of the deck. This is the support for the net that hangs underneath it..

And that's it for the moment. Haven't decided how to fix the lack of that number but will probably paint it on using a mask.. unless I find the offending digit..

That's it for now

Regards
Warren
RedDuster
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 7,078 posts
Model Shipwrights: 6,649 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 28, 2016 - 01:01 AM UTC
Nice progress Warren,

The etched lattice mast certainly looks better than the kit parts, and the radar looks a real piece of work.

Cheers

Si
warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, August 28, 2016 - 01:35 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Nice progress Warren,

The etched lattice mast certainly looks better than the kit parts, and the radar looks a real piece of work.

Cheers

Si

Thanks Si.
warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, August 29, 2016 - 05:58 PM UTC
Progress has slowed to a crawl as I struggle with the WEM safety nets.. which I gave up on and went over to the GMM ones. These are much easier to use as they are a single piece and just need to be folded to fit in place..

The WEM nets are two pieces and are made of very thin PE which makes it difficult to manipulate long stretches of netting and the mating surface between the supports and nets are very thin and difficult to attach. It might be easier to do if I could turn the ship over but thaat isn't an option it is now so large and heavy.

Anyway, hopefully I will get some more done tomorrow.

Cheers
Warren
Littorio
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, August 29, 2016 - 06:36 PM UTC
Looking good as always Warren. Interesting to note your views regarding the WEM and GMM PE sets, for my current builds I have the WEM set for the Kirov and the GMM set for the Moskva..

Anyway watching your build is making me want to start a carrier, must hold off until the Kirov and Moskva are finished though, then it may be the Kuznetsov
warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, August 29, 2016 - 06:52 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Looking good as always Warren. Interesting to note your views regarding the WEM and GMM PE sets, for my current builds I have the WEM set for the Kirov and the GMM set for the Moskva..

Anyway watching your build is making me want to start a carrier, must hold off until the Kirov and Moskva are finished though, then it may be the Kuznetsov

Thanks Littorio.

Is the Moskva the Airfix one? I bought it brand new in the 1970s and it is still in its box.

Cheers
Warren
Littorio
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, August 29, 2016 - 07:18 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Thanks Littorio.

Is the Moskva the Airfix one? I bought it brand new in the 1970s and it is still in its box.

Cheers
Warren

The Moskva is the Trumpeter 1/350 Slava class missile cruiser, a smaller cruiser compared to the Kirov.

Slava class

Kirov class
warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, August 31, 2016 - 01:21 PM UTC
Definitely not the helicopter carrier the Airfix kit was supposed to represent!

Anyway, time for another update. After I finally finished those darn nets I started on the sticky uppy things, aerials etc, all attached under the deck.. made it difficult to peer underneath using a torch and adding the items..

..and some guard railing around the lowered elevator..

I then found a big enough, sturdy enough box and flipped the ungainly thing over so I could remove the masking tape from the bottom of the hull..

Then while flipping it back I nudged one of the elevator nets and dislodged it. I can fix it tomorrow. If I had thought of it I could have attached the aerials while the model was upside down.. oh well..

That's it for now..

Warren
JJ1973
Visit this Community
Niedersachsen, Germany
KitMaker: 1,835 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,832 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 01, 2016 - 11:45 PM UTC
Wow, Warren, now that`s some progress on your Nimitz.

Well, that I was away on leave and not able to check in may contribute to that impression - but nevertheless, great work and swift progress, as always. She`s really looking good!!

Cheers,
Jan
warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, September 02, 2016 - 01:46 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Wow, Warren, now that`s some progress on your Nimitz.

Well, that I was away on leave and not able to check in may contribute to that impression - but nevertheless, great work and swift progress, as always. She`s really looking good!!

Cheers,
Jan

This one is not up to your standard Jan. The PE sets are just not very detailed for this build. Hopefully the aircraft will offset some of the lack of detail. But it still looks like the Nimitz from 1975 I suppose.

Cheers
Warren
warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, September 02, 2016 - 03:20 PM UTC
Well the island and rear mast are on..

I did the railings for the small sponsons and platforms. Got the meatball painted and on and started painting the aircraft as my Gull Grey arrived.

Cheers for now
Warren