_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
1/350 Aoshima Takao+ Lion Roar PE
Sevicler
Visit this Community
Indonesia
KitMaker: 3 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 14, 2016 - 08:51 PM UTC
Hello there, New user here . I'm probably breaking a few forum rules while making this post so bear with me for a bit (and tell me where my mistakes are). Build log will come after. Please note that I am not a pro and am still learning

Well, I've been building an Aoshima 1/350 Takao and I am also using the Lion Roar PE set. This is the second model I've built (risk taker here). And well, I have quite a few questions.

I originally wanted to paint the Takao with a similar paint scheme to the World of Warships premium ship Atago (nonhistorical). Link to the paint scheme:

http://dota2.com.ar/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/ATAGO-1.jpg

But only three days after I painted Takao's linoleum decks, I found this glorious build of a Hasegawa 1/350 Nagato:

https://modelshipwrights.kitmaker.net/forums/191196

Scroll some ways down and you'll see that he chose not to paint the photoetch parts, creating a one-of-a-kind show-winning piece. It is also remarkably beautiful. Kudos to the builder.

Suddenly I wanted to do the same with my Takao, knowing that the Lion Roar PE set provides many photoetch parts it would also look glorious with the PE unpainted.

Now my question is; would unpainted PE work with the camo above? or am I just better off painting Takao with her historical (grey) camo? Either way I want my Takao to have the majority of her PE parts unpainted.

Thank You

warreni
Visit this Community
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 5,926 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,624 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 21, 2016 - 01:32 PM UTC
Hello there.

I built HMS Belfast with PE and no paint at all. As for the Takao, just paint the plastic bits and leave the PE bare. I left much of the girder work on my Akagi unpainted but the blogs have disappeared wexcept for the first pages..
 _GOTOTOP