_GOTOBOTTOM
Ships by Class/Type: Battleships
Topics from the Dreadnaught era to modern day.
Hosted by Steve Joyce
1/700 Scale USS Arizona Memorial Build
TRM5150
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 2,159 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,400 posts
Posted: Monday, December 12, 2016 - 11:22 PM UTC
Looks like it is time to get things going on the Pearl Harbor Campaign! With that, it is not hard to figure out after reading the title what this build will be; the USS Arizona Memorial.

I happened to have a slave Arizona kit languishing on the shelf in the cave...

I picked this kit up at a show for I think $5. Someone had glued the lower hull to the upper and then gave up. All good since this build requires extensive deterioration and damage. The small package on top is a 1/700 scale 3D printed model of the Memorial and Arizona's moorings.

After playing plastic surgeon and using a marker to mark things that stay, go and otherwise get modified, cutting had to take place.

Shave this...cut that....an so on!

After looking at the collective few line drawing that were made after the salvage and of course all of the new data recently supplied by the Park Department when a 3D underwater scanning was completed, there are decisions to be made.

Part of me has committed the look of the wreck site to what I see in the old line drawing as well as a few aerial shots taken over the years. The 3D scan shows more deterioration than what was originally drawn or what can be seen form the air.

With that, I will try and bridge the gap between the two. Although there has been a 3D model and set of images created, as most would figure, the information is limited at best right now. Also, I would add the fact that I don't have any issues simply coming close on this. I am more interested in the final result looking the part and have a small desk trinket to look at for now!

So, I am heading back into surgery and will continue to cut and replace, chop and glue! Thanks for stopping in!
rolltide31
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,481 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,332 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 13, 2016 - 01:01 AM UTC
Todd,

Excited to see that you have begun tackling your project for the campaign. If there are any additional photos or information you need let me know.

Really looking forward to seeing this mighty project develop.

Dave
TRM5150
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, December 13, 2016 - 02:00 AM UTC
Thanks Dave....for hanging about on this one, and you help with pics from the museum! I will let you know if I need anything my friend! I have been searching for some shots of Barbette No. 3. Seems to be one of those over looked areas. The model at the museum shows how it looked off the line drawings. You can seen it when the tide is low from what I can tell...looks like the side of it has caved in if I look at the 3D stuff...aerial shots don't show too much of this.

Off to do some drilling soon!
JJ1973
Visit this Community
Niedersachsen, Germany
KitMaker: 1,835 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,832 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 13, 2016 - 10:25 AM UTC
Hi Todd,

that's a great idea for a project and a very interesting start!! - I have to admit, I had no idea about the setup of the memorial and how shallow the water actually is there, so that you can still see the battleship from above. I had to look it up on google earth to get an impression...

I'll be following with great interest!! I think you idea of producing a sound overall impression is the sound approach! Looking forward to your build!

Cheers,
Jan
TRM5150
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, December 13, 2016 - 05:13 PM UTC
Thanks Jan! Happy to have you on the bus for the ride! I have been getting caught up in a number of lengthy videos about the wreck itself...pretty interesting stuff revealing how there is a mixed bag of deterioration and strange preservation. Certainly one of those subjects that sucks you in and you can't stop watching.

I drilled a number of holes last night to mirror the many openings around the topside of the ship...amazing how quickly this little piece of plastic looks the part with simply opening No. 3 and 4 barrettes.
TRM5150
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, December 21, 2016 - 07:20 AM UTC
I'm not much past the pile of broken parts...more broken but organized destruction is coming through ever so slowly. The base frame of the wreck is set. Main parts are ready. I am working on the adhoc moorings that were added during the days of salvage.

Once the final mooring is finished, I am thinking silt and sea growth will be in order...then I will be looking at a suitable base piece to set this in. As always...thank for stopping by!
TimReynaga
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 2,500 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,830 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 21, 2016 - 07:37 AM UTC
Wow, Todd, your wrecked Arizona is looking great! Sad, but convincing...
rolltide31
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,481 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,332 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 21, 2016 - 07:37 AM UTC
Todd,

That is some mighty fine work replicating the Arizona as she sits today. Looking forward to seeing more as you progress.

Dave
TRM5150
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, December 21, 2016 - 08:39 AM UTC
Thanks Tim! Yeah, it is a bit sad as I rummage my way through this...hoping to come close in the end. I have enjoyed the research and dissection of the ship's dissection a lot.

Thanks Dave! Glad to have you along for the ride! The final display might prove to be challenging...but just going to roll on and see what happens!
Grauwolf
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 2,485 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,157 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 21, 2016 - 04:20 PM UTC
Hi Todd,

This is really looking good!....following with interest.

Cheers,
Joe
TRM5150
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, December 21, 2016 - 04:52 PM UTC
Thank you Joe! I appreciate you hanging about!
Fordboy
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 2,169 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,597 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 21, 2016 - 11:49 PM UTC
Ahoy Todd

Superb idea and great execution thus far.

Cheers

Sean
TRM5150
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, December 22, 2016 - 09:03 AM UTC
Thanks for the kind words Sean! I was hoping to work on this a little more tonight...but that whole "Christmas Thing" is taking front stage for the next day or so...LOL As you would figure! Once I kick everyone out of the house on Sunday though....all bets are off!!
JJ1973
Visit this Community
Niedersachsen, Germany
KitMaker: 1,835 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,832 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 24, 2016 - 09:42 PM UTC
Hi Todd,

you've created quite some havoc there - but it certainly looks great!! I al really looking forward to your approach adding silt and sea growth!

As for work schedule, well, the festive mood has reached my dockyard workers earlier than planned, but hey, sometimes you have to live with it...

Cheers,
Jan
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,182 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,070 posts
Posted: Monday, December 26, 2016 - 10:03 PM UTC
Hi Todd

We haven't met/spoke, since I have been "awol" for a long time here at MSW, but just wanted to say that this really caught my eye...
Looking forward for more progresses

Cheers
Rui (aka skipper)
KelticKnot
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 768 posts
Model Shipwrights: 59 posts
Posted: Monday, December 26, 2016 - 10:22 PM UTC
Looking like a great start to a fascinating project Todd.
Tanksami
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 1,314 posts
Model Shipwrights: 29 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 27, 2016 - 02:30 AM UTC
Hi Todd,
Love the uniques of this build & seeing the work you turned out on the mini art team I know this will look awesome.
Quick question as I don't know how the Arizona looks never having seen her, what is / does the tin foil represent?
Cheers Mike
TRM5150
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, December 27, 2016 - 04:30 AM UTC
Thank Jan! Yeah...things spiraled here too..LOL!! Glad that is over with now! Already counting down until Sunday! Cannot get out of 2016 fast enough!

Hello Rui!! Welcome back then my friend! Thanks for stopping in...hopefully I won't mess this up too bad before I am done!!

Thank you Paul!! First cut is always the hardest. After that, things are much easier...for the most part!!

Hi Mike, thanks for the kind words....glad to have you along for the ride! I used foil to make the transition and some of the damage easier to do...and look a bit more credible. The weather deck on the real ship dropped a full deck height or more where the bow remained at the same height. Everything is kind of mashed together at this point. Once some silt and more debris go down, things will blend much better!

Now with the holiday out of the way, I am looking to get back to the bench. I have one outstanding armor subject I would like to see done before the 1st....this will serve as filler while I wiat for stuff to dry!

Happy New Year Fellas!! Lets make '17 a good one!
YellowHammer
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 554 posts
Model Shipwrights: 219 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 27, 2016 - 08:59 AM UTC
Hi Todd,
Love your idea and the work you're doing on the kit. The damage you are doing to the ship really speaks to the sacrifices the sailors made that day. I'm in for the long haul.
John
TRM5150
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, December 27, 2016 - 09:57 AM UTC
Hi John, Thank you, I appreciate the kind words. There is a definitely a level of respect for everyone who made the ultimate sacrifice that day. With any luck, I will come close on this one.
StephenLarsen
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 67 posts
Model Shipwrights: 41 posts
Posted: Friday, May 19, 2017 - 06:53 PM UTC
Just found this thread, Todd. Looks great!
TRM5150
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, May 20, 2017 - 03:25 AM UTC
Thanks Steve! I am guilty of setting this aside to work on some "show related items". Hoping this makes it back to the bench in June!
Namabiiru
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
KitMaker: 2,888 posts
Model Shipwrights: 73 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 31, 2017 - 10:04 PM UTC
I visited ARIZONA many times as a kid growing up in sight of Pearl Harbor. Really excited to watch this take shape.

One of the things that always struck me about the site were the frequent slicks caused by oil bubbling up from the hulk. Those continue even to this days and it never ceases to amaze me that there is still that much POL left in there. Do have any plans for creating that effect on the surface of your water?

_GOTOTOP