_GOTOBOTTOM
Ships by Class/Type: Battleships
Topics from the Dreadnaught era to modern day.
Hosted by Steve Joyce
Boats off before Jutland?
ebergerud
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 297 posts
Model Shipwrights: 23 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 21, 2016 - 02:36 AM UTC
Finally getting my Defllinger close to finished. I'm thinking about picturing the ship on the eve of Jutland (that'll mean a red funnel - yikes) and need some advice from wiser heads. Would a warship heading into battle have had any of the ship's boats deployed or would they have been stowed?

Eric
TRM5150
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 2,159 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,400 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 22, 2016 - 09:29 AM UTC
Not being an expert on procedure...especially the German Imperial Naval from that time, it would make sense the ship's launches would be stowed even under normal conditions unless at anchor. The fact the German's were trying to lure the Royal Naval into a battle at the time would make me think they were stowed for battle ready conditions. The couple books I read on the subject didn't mention too much about ship conditions and procedure of the time other than in the case of like the demise of the Lutzow where the ship was abandoned and even then most of the sailors were shuttled off by torpedo boats. Maybe one of the other members might have some better insight into this!
ch_hoeltge
Visit this Community
Baden-Württemberg, Germany
KitMaker: 39 posts
Model Shipwrights: 39 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 22, 2016 - 08:37 PM UTC
In battle conditions the boats where left at port. Only one or two small launches where left at the ship. For example the Seydlitz only had a small boat on the B turret.
For the Derfflinger, from the pics you see she had one motor boat on board. But possible nothing more. Also there where no boat davits.
And one thong to notice the aft 8.8 guns had another gunshield as there where no Flak, just normal SKs. I made new gunshields, when you look at my Derfflinger in the gallery.

Other things to mention when a ship is battle ready.
The cranes where dismounted and the beam is layed on the deck.
The railing is layed down on the main and second deck.
If possible the stairs where removed. On pics you see some handles behind the stairs, this where removeable stairs.
The flagpole where also removed, but not always.

I hope this will help.

Greetings Christian
ebergerud
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, December 23, 2016 - 02:33 AM UTC
Chris,

Thanks much. Are the last procedures you mention things that would have taken place when there was an enemy sighted? Sort of like "action stations" on a USN ship when absolutely everything was prepared for battle. Logic would tell one that you wouldn't want railings down unless you knew danger was near - no reason to get crewmen swept overboard. (As I recall from my research on the Pacific War, USN ships used rafts instead of boats for crew security. Of course the water was about 80 degrees F.) If I had more confidence in my skills it would be neat to model battle damage and picture Derfflinger immediately after battle.

One more thing. Have any idea what color the water would have likely been in the waters near Jutland?
ch_hoeltge
Visit this Community
Baden-Württemberg, Germany
KitMaker: 39 posts
Model Shipwrights: 39 posts
Posted: Friday, December 23, 2016 - 01:29 PM UTC
Good question Eric.
I only knew it was made when leaving port. Perhaps it was madesometimes later. At least when out of landsight the funnels where painted red. Perhaps then the railings where laid down. After that point there was no need for a crew men to stay on deck. Also the flak gun crews stayed inside the ship.
Except Lützows captain, he stayed outside even at the battle .

Greetings Christian
Bravo1102
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 2,864 posts
Model Shipwrights: 31 posts
Posted: Friday, December 23, 2016 - 03:07 PM UTC
Remember the order "clear decks for action!" Anything on deck could and would be smashed by shot and shell and even cause further damage.

This was true at Jutland as it was at Trafalgar. And even if it wasn't, navies trained and fought as if it was.
ebergerud
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, December 23, 2016 - 03:44 PM UTC
That's what I'm thinking. Full bore, no joke "action stations," would not be sounded until there was enemy in sight or good reason to think so. The German fleet left port 2am: cleared the mine fields at 9AM; and first sighted Beatty at 3:20pm. (Light units had been in contact for about 90 minutes.) I suppose it's possible that Hipper would have wanted no one on deck after 9am. I'd guess that starting around that time the German ships would have been finishing their preparations (probably painted the funnel at night) steadily throughout the morning. Would the crew have been given mess? But I don't see deck railings and everyone tucked away until the admirals thought the was going to be in action within a very minutes. That kind of detail wouldn't be easy to find. (Crews in the USN in the Solomons had it tough - because air attack could come at any minutes - especially by mid-43 - crews had to stay at full action stations often for hours - something that guaranteed massive fatigue.)
Bravo1102
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 2,864 posts
Model Shipwrights: 31 posts
Posted: Friday, December 23, 2016 - 04:50 PM UTC
The same was true in the age of sail. Often crews stood by the guns from the minute an enemy sail was sighted and the wind might not allow engagement for days.

So crews rotated on and off during the wait.

They might have kept the decks clear once they cleared sight of land. They were expecting contact at any time. They had sighted the fleet but didn't know the location of every enemy vessel. Movement to contact you might still have the decks cleared because enemy was expected any moment.

Strangely enough, the same procedure was adopted by armored units. Land ships, don't you know.
 _GOTOTOP