_GOTOBOTTOM
Ships by Class/Type: Battleships
Topics from the Dreadnaught era to modern day.
Hosted by Steve Joyce
1/350 missouri (1944)
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 28, 2017 - 11:52 PM UTC
So whatever happened to the Mighty Mo in WW2 configuration? Seems to be OOP. See Tamiya does a 1991 version...which is prob a rebox of their New Jersey kit

Revell did a version dont know if it was using teh Tmiya molds like Academy was prone to do. I have seen a stock number for a Trumpeter version...did that ever materialize?

Built mine many many moons ago thought to put one in my "retirement" stash as i fear when I move stuff ain't going to survive too well. See an occasional offering on ebay but they are starting to demand premium prices nowadays. I mean if trumpter were to come out with a version with their penchant for adding a lot more small detail parts i wouldnt mind paying that $150+. But, the old mold Tamiya shouldnt be more than $90 give or take a few.
TimReynaga
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 2,500 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,830 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 29, 2017 - 01:01 AM UTC
Hi Steve,

You are probably right about the Tamiya Missouri price, but it is still, in my view, the best WW2-era Missouri in 1/350 out there. The Revell WW2 Missouri is a reissue of the 1960s kit by Otaki, which was also reissued by Life-Like in the 1970s. That kit is not bad, but the Tamiya version (which also dates back to the 1970s) is noticeably better. Most of the aftermarket goodies out there are designed for the Tamiya kit too. As for Trumpeter, no 1/350 Missouri has yet appeared...

My recommendation is that if you want a WW2 Missouri in 1/350, the Tamiya molding, even if expensive, is your best option.

_GOTOTOP