_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
1/350 Arizona
Yellow_Snow
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 39 posts
Model Shipwrights: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 25, 2004 - 04:17 PM UTC
today at a local HobbyTown I saw a 1/350th full hull USS Arizona kit made by a company called MiniHobbyModels or something like that. I'm curious if this kit is any relation to the Banner/Trumpeter kit that came out a couple years ago. Or is it a el-cheapo copy? It was only $30, not a bad price for a 1/350 battleship. Should I be scared?
SonOfAVet
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 547 posts
Model Shipwrights: 132 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 25, 2004 - 04:26 PM UTC
I felt this way as well about my MiniHobby Models 1/350 Bismarck...I got it at Hobby Lobby for $20 with the half off coupon they run on models once in a while. From what I see it is a decent model ...I think it is definately worth the price when you get it half off...So far there are not that many problems I have faced, the detail looks good..anybody else have expirience with this company?

Sean
garrybeebe
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 1,969 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 25, 2004 - 05:10 PM UTC
Howdy Yellersnow, The mini hobbie kit is the same kit as the Banner Arizona. You can see one that I built in my gallery. Nice kit! As Halfyank says, and I agree with him, The fighting tops on top of the mast are a little fickle to get lined up. but other then that, the kit is a honey!

Garry
Yellow_Snow
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
Posted: Thursday, February 26, 2004 - 05:25 AM UTC
Thanks for the input guys, I might go ahead and pick it up sometime. Garry, question about your build. It looks like you used some PE on it. Which set did you use? I've been looking at the Gold Medal Models and White Ensign Models PE sets, it looks like WEM is a bit more in depth but the $60 price tag sorta makes me gag. Then again $90 for a kit and PE set in this scale doesn't seem so bad I guess.....
jrnelson
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
KitMaker: 719 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 26, 2004 - 11:43 AM UTC
Kiri...shima

Kiri......shima..... hehehe

You know you want one :-) This Arizona is just a phase........ lol

Just kidding ya Yellow :-)

Take care bro-
Nelson
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,221 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,821 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 26, 2004 - 12:26 PM UTC
Yellow_Snow I've seen the MiniHobby Models kit at Hobby Lobby also. They are just about due for one of their half off sales. If there is one nearby you look at www.hobbylobby.com on Sundays. Look under newspaper adds and coupons. They just had a coupon half off so they are due for a newspaper add half off. Last year it was just in time for my birthday in March so I'm hoping for this year again. I might even pick up another Arizona, maybe for a waterline version this time.
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,000 posts
Model Shipwrights: 453 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 26, 2004 - 01:17 PM UTC
Howdy Lemonade, oops, I mean....Yellow_Snow,

I have been seriously considering picking up the very same 'Arizona' kit. I have already secured the Bismark from the same company and am happy with the moulding detail.
You will find the plastic used for the kit on the 'soft' side(kind of like an Imex kit). But strangely, the lower hull pieces seem to be a bit stiffer.
As other's have already pointed out. Just check with their web site and wait a wee bit for their "half-off sale". Then the purchase will definitely be on the 'pro' side of the card!

Tread.
Yellow_Snow
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
Posted: Thursday, February 26, 2004 - 06:02 PM UTC
Well I picked up the kit today. It was at HobbyTown USA, not Hobby Lobby....or is that the same store just different names? Doesn't look halfbad, think I might pick up some resin and PE for it just for kicks. Have some $$ to spare seeing as it was only $30 :-) . Looking forward to starting it here sometime soon, thanks for the input everyone
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 28, 2004 - 03:52 PM UTC
I built the Banner version about 6 months ago using the Gold Medal PE et,or maybe it was Toms, I forget the Brand Name. While the White ensign models stuff is really good, as we say down south....they sure are proud of it. Personally, I think they are way over priced and I generally go with a Tom's set as it offers exceptional value.
 _GOTOTOP