_GOTOBOTTOM
New Content
Announcements on new content additions to the site.
News
MM : Essex-class Aircraft Carrier SCB-27 and SCB-125 Islands
TRM5150
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 2,159 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,400 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 03, 2017 - 01:36 AM UTC

Model Monkey announces the release of Vietnam War-era Essex class aircraft carrier island in multiple scales!

Read the Full News Story

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
TimReynaga
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 2,500 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,830 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 03, 2017 - 07:14 PM UTC
This looks very interesting; those old Revell kits were fun, but most of the parts were not the greatest! I have a Revell WASP in the stash waiting to be built... perhaps when the upgraded island comes out for that ship I'll finally get around to building it!
TRM5150
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, October 03, 2017 - 09:39 PM UTC
I have the Wasp as well...converting it to the Randolph. My understanding the Islands are pretty much the same. Lots of cleanup on the Revell a you know! LOL But at least the Island will be a one-shot deal!!
StephenLarsen
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 67 posts
Model Shipwrights: 41 posts
Posted: Friday, October 06, 2017 - 02:29 AM UTC
Thank you, fellas! Randolph was specifically requested by Todd. It;s bridge window configuration, among other details, is noticeably different than designs previosuly released, such as USS Intrepid, CVS-11. Tim, a Wasp design is coming shortly. Details are different than Randolph. Next design released will be USS Yorktown CVS-10 circa 1968.
TRM5150
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, October 06, 2017 - 05:28 AM UTC
Thank you Steve!! I am looking forward to picking up the Randolph island soon...HUGE improvement to the Revell kit!
TimReynaga
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 2,500 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,830 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 08, 2017 - 06:21 PM UTC

Quoted Text

...Tim, a Wasp design is coming shortly...

Steve,

That's good news about the Wasp! If I may suggest... looking through the Revell kit parts, useful items not well represented in the kit are the life raft racks, like these on the Hornet museum: http://svsm.org/gallery/Hornet/FILE0062
With rafts in them they appeared more solid. Used in large numbers on all the Essex carriers, these might be a worthwhile items to add to your line. I for one would buy some!
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 08, 2017 - 10:40 PM UTC
Really like this growing cottage industry. Think it will fill a great need to modifying kits in the future. I saw where Mardis used a different company to get the beehive island for the Enterprise.

Would love to see a backdate of Yamato in 350 to 1941 config. Updates on Nimitz class also in 350.

IF!! IF they ever do a cagemast could really go to town there. The hulls of the classes were similar so modification kits would be dynamite.
 _GOTOTOP