_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
Japanese Hellship Models Around?
chip250
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 1,864 posts
Model Shipwrights: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 07, 2004 - 01:52 PM UTC
Is there anybody who makes a model of a Japanese Hellship, or transport ship of any kind from WWII?

Thanks!

~Chip :-)
garrybeebe
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 1,969 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 07, 2004 - 02:25 PM UTC
Hello Chip,
Dont know if this is just what you are looking for, but its the only ones that I know of. Hasegawa makes the Hien maru, a old liner that was converted into a submarine depot ship. Plus one other I cant think of the name of. They are in 1/700 scale. I built the Hien, nice kit! The only other possability is maybe Pittroad Skyway could have somthing.

HTH

Garry
garrybeebe
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 1,969 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 07, 2004 - 07:44 PM UTC
Hello Chip, just posted a pic of my Hien Maru in my gallery if you would care to take a look. I think this is the kind of ship you were asking about.

Regards,

Garry
BlueBear
Visit this Community
Idaho, United States
KitMaker: 414 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 07, 2004 - 10:18 PM UTC
One thing that the manufacturors are only starting to remedy is the lack of naval "soft-skins." The Hei and Hein Marus, the USS Bootes and Sabik and a few other, mostly resin, subjects are about all there is out there besides the big liners. I remember seeing fairly recently listings for a pair of 1/700 Japanese tankers, but I think that they are resin as well.
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,221 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,821 posts
Posted: Monday, March 08, 2004 - 01:32 AM UTC

Quoted Text

One thing that the manufacturors are only starting to remedy is the lack of naval "soft-skins."

Too true Bluebear. I seem to recall a Revell Attack Transport, and some kind of Tanker, from when I was a kid. Can't remember anything else about them though. According to Fine Scale Modeler Trumpeter is coming out with a 1/350 Liberty Ship sometime this year. I sure hope so.
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 10, 2004 - 11:27 AM UTC
Seems I remeber the old Skywave company came out with a 1/700 scale Japanese transport kit in the 70's Don't know if this is the one Hasegawa picked up or it's long OOP. Might try fishing in ebay or collectaire hobies.
 _GOTOTOP