_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
Francisco
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 343 posts
Model Shipwrights: 21 posts
Posted: Monday, March 08, 2004 - 10:54 PM UTC
Hey guys I don't even know How I first got your weblink but after Taking a look at yours galleries, and being a diorama/model-builder I had to register here!

I recently bought The 72nd Revell Pt117...this being my first kit and all i had to post this here as soon as I could Well, with my planes I have a huge concern about acuraccy and stuff..I put a lot of hours in my kits, thing that I didnt do when I started modelling 5 years ago...but now with 20 and with the help of great websites like aircraftresourcecentre, I'm starting to improve a bit!!And that's what I'm looking for here!

So, has anybody done this kit?I'm thinking of making a little dio, like the boat in a little dock donne with styrene and stuff...What should I use to do the water?I have to do a bit of background research about this torpedo-boat...do you have any sugestions about this??

Hope to have a good time here at armorama
cya!!
boatswain
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 53 posts
Model Shipwrights: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 09, 2004 - 12:24 AM UTC
Francisco,

Welcome to Armorama!

I can't answer all of your questions, (being relatively new here myself) however try following this thread for ideas on making water.

https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/24635&page=1

Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,221 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,821 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 09, 2004 - 01:29 AM UTC
Welcome Francisco to Armorama, the very BEST modelig site on the web.

Can't say I've built that kit but I'd willing to bet you'll find somebody here who has. To make it a little easier on you I took the liberty of making the link boatswain posted "hot".

https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/24635&page=1

When you can introduce yourself over in the Introductions forum, you'll be welcomed by the entire site over there.

garrybeebe
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 1,969 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 09, 2004 - 02:03 AM UTC
Hello Francisco, welcome aboard mate! Glad to have you here, specialy among us swabbies. But all of Armorama is a great place to be! I to have never built the P T boat. Mainly being a Battleship kind of guy, but I love all floaty things. Feel free to ask any question about ship modeling here, and technques. There are a lot of Talented modelers here and somone always can help!

Regards,

Garry
Francisco
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 343 posts
Model Shipwrights: 21 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 09, 2004 - 07:40 AM UTC
thank you guys!I can't get enough of modelling and as I'm starting some dioramas...well, severe brain damage ahead #:-)
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,221 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,821 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 09, 2004 - 09:06 AM UTC

Quoted Text

thank you guys!I can't get enough of modelling and as I'm starting some dioramas

In that case care to join one, or both, or our campaigns? Campaigns are where we decide on a common theme then build a model to go with that theme. We post pictures, if possible, unlong with updates on how we're doing. Afterward everybody who finishes the campaign gets a shiney little virtual campaing ribbon on your profile page.

We've got two going right now, very unusual and a long story as to why. There is the Unsung Sisters campaign that is forming now. It's theme is to make a model of the unsung sister of a famous ship, like I'm doing the USS Portland, unsung sister of the USS Indianapolis. If you go to the Campaigns site that you should see on the left of your screen, you can sign up. The more the merrier. There is also the Warships of the Atlantic campaign that is running now. There is a huge thread on it under the Warships forum. My virtual friend Treadhead is running that one. If you want more info PM either Treadhead or I.

BlueBear
Visit this Community
Idaho, United States
KitMaker: 414 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 09, 2004 - 08:10 PM UTC
If you have the old Revell 1/72 PT boat, the chalks and cleets around the edge of the hull need quite a bit of work to be made accurate. I have the old PT-109, and it has the things solid instead of undercut, and without the field mount of the 37mm atg on the bow
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 10, 2004 - 11:15 AM UTC
I think the PT 117 is just another way of selling PT 109. There are several modifications you can do to slightly improve it. I cut away the the windscreen and added clear plastic and buzzed off those long tiedown things on the bow and layed down strip styrene to hollow out and make them more accurate. If you can find some nice 72nd twin 50 sets that would look great too.
 _GOTOTOP