_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
Atlantic build-Modelguy2's POW
modelguy2
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 818 posts
Model Shipwrights: 278 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 11, 2004 - 05:19 PM UTC
Hi Folks,

The POW's resting comfortably while I wait for the display case to arrive. Once it's here I can bolt it down and begin glueing the superstructures to the hull and adding PE details. I took some photos of the ship dry fitted together today and may have the roll finished and the photos posted by Monday......Mike T
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,000 posts
Model Shipwrights: 453 posts
Posted: Friday, March 12, 2004 - 03:45 AM UTC
Howdy Mike,

Can't wait to see your photo's. I for one am hoping you really walk us through your build-up, because this is an opportunity for us to 'look over your shoulder' and observe how the bloody hell you do what you do!!

So post pics!

Tread.
modelguy2
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Wednesday, March 17, 2004 - 07:48 AM UTC

Nothing glued down yet. Should be getting the case this week. Then I'll bolt it down and begin final assembly.............Mike T
warlock0322
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,036 posts
Model Shipwrights: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 17, 2004 - 08:24 AM UTC
Mike she looks great and big too..
One thing I do have a question on though is. In the second pic it looks like the bulge was missed with the hull red... Could be the pic but though I would throw that out there to if my eyes are failing me..
Looks great though and can't wait to see her all dressed out..
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,221 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,821 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 17, 2004 - 08:41 AM UTC
Looks great so far. Can you share any tips with us? Did you drill out the gun barrels, or the port holes? What is your method for masking the boot top?

modelguy2
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Wednesday, March 17, 2004 - 09:49 AM UTC
"In the second pic it looks like the bulge was missed with the hull red... " Just looked-just the photo.

"Did you drill out the gun barrels, or the port holes? What is your method for masking the boot top?"
Yes I hollowed out the tips of the barrels with a .0000whateverthehell drill bit in a pinvise. And I used masking tape to paint the boottop.

garrybeebe
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 1,969 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 17, 2004 - 11:38 AM UTC
Looks Like its comming along well mike. Dang, Tamiya does make a nice looking KGV and POW kit dont they! Are you building it as lost or in an earlier scheme?
Looking good Mike!

Regards,

Garry
modelguy2
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Wednesday, March 17, 2004 - 12:12 PM UTC
It's part of a collection of Bismarck chase ships so it's May '41.
modelguy2
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Sunday, March 28, 2004 - 09:34 AM UTC
Well the case arrived late last week and I've been slowly progressing. The superstructures have been glued down as well as the main gun and secondary turrets. The hull's been bolted down using oak spindles from the hardware store as mounts with a nut going through the base and spindle into the hull where it's bolted in. This week I added small bits like searchlights, AA guns and the masts. I just got a new roll of film so I'll shoot some new photos this week. I believe I'm within a day or so of beginning the PE details....Mike
modelguy2
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Saturday, April 03, 2004 - 12:45 PM UTC
Got my Revell U-Boat this afternoon. Easy build so far. The hull's together and it's mounted to a base. I'll take some photos and add it to my Atlantic build of the POW..........Mike
modelguy2
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Monday, April 05, 2004 - 02:31 PM UTC
U-Boat Day 3

Built the tower and deck gun. Some rails broke but were fixed on the sprue as the parts still lined up and I thought it would be the perfect way to align them and hold them in place while they dried. I was right Same goes for a couple of the deck gun seats. The dang things about done. I coulda finished it tonight but ..... you guys know how that goes. All that's left is a couple of deck fittings, the props and decals. Photos soon......Mike T
garrybeebe
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
Posted: Tuesday, April 06, 2004 - 04:03 PM UTC
My, that uboat was a quik build Mike! Must be pretty much a strait forward build. Sure turned out nice! The POW is looking good to, your color for her is spot on.
Keep them pic's coming!

Garry
modelguy2
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Wednesday, April 07, 2004 - 01:34 PM UTC
Railings went on the upperworks of the POW this evening. Tomorrow the main deck rails and then all that's left are the props and shafts.....Mike T
modelguy2
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Tuesday, April 13, 2004 - 08:27 AM UTC
Finished!

blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 13, 2004 - 12:02 PM UTC
That is a gorgeous POW. I hope my KG V comes out like that. I'm at a point where it is time to add a few detail parts to some sub-assemblies start some of the PE and then paint light grey. Then the deck and then work the finishing up pieces. I'm adding a chain and trying out the guitar string wiring. Your sub looks superlative.
Yellow_Snow
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 39 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 13, 2004 - 01:07 PM UTC
Real beauties you've got there. This may seem like a silly question but where did you find the wood you used as the base of the POW? I've been looking everywhere for something similar to display one of my ships on but haven't been able to find one yet!
modelguy2
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Tuesday, April 13, 2004 - 02:05 PM UTC
That wood came from a friend that wanted me to put his ship in a case. I had it laying around s I decieded to put it to some good use. Check the lumber yard ot home improvement center. I believe it's a fruit wood of some kind..........Mike T

garrybeebe
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
Posted: Tuesday, April 13, 2004 - 05:53 PM UTC
Congrats Mike, thats a couple of great builds! One question, did the kit come with a Walrus float plane? I built the Heller 1/400 POW years ago and it had the Walrus. Just wondering, I also want to build the Tamiya POW.

Cheers,

Garry
modelguy2
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Wednesday, April 14, 2004 - 01:39 AM UTC
Yes it comes with a Walrus
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,000 posts
Model Shipwrights: 453 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 14, 2004 - 02:32 AM UTC
Holy Canoli Mike!!

Now THAT'S what I'm talking about!!!!

My sincere apologies for not hanging out around here as often as I should have, but I've had my hands most definitely FULL. And, I had complete confidence you guys would keep the fires burning over here.
Absolutely superb work there Mike! Your Prince of Wales is really impressive. And that rigging looks like it was a handful (at least it would be for me). Are all the windows/portholes simply dotted black? And the screws, they're just painted the brass colour right?
Just love it.
Now, your sub. Since I am fan of submarine's, it's an easy one for me to salivate over.
Not only is the 1/72nd scale right for me (ya listening again HalfYank?), but your treatment of her is almost 'reference' material! Your weathering is spot on, and your deck gun is sweet. Thanks for the bow shot, since it deserve's it's own photo.

As I've already said, but I certainly won't hesitate to say again. I am extremely glad that you decided to join our Build, and we are all better for it! Not only are you one of the modeler's who help's elevate the rest of us and our respective modeling talents, but you are obviously a dependable mate to have on the team as well!

Here's to you Mike, and you're 'bar' setting example's of "Warship's of the Atlantic", both above the sea, and below.

Treadmeister.
 _GOTOTOP