_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
Pirate Felucca
TimReynaga
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 2,500 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,830 posts
Posted: Monday, July 23, 2018 - 07:26 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Another random thought for future builds hit me as I was looking at the Nina and Pinta build logs tonight; since their sails/spars were raised and lowered from the deck could the locator pins on the spars be used as anchor points for gaffs around the mast. It would seem to me something would be in place to keep the spar aligned while raising and lowering.

That's a great thought, but (at least for the Niña and Pinta), the spars were held in place with roller parrels, which were flexible bands that looked something like beaded necklaces - completely unlike those dopey pegs provided by Pyro.
Doh!
YellowHammer
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 554 posts
Model Shipwrights: 219 posts
Posted: Monday, July 23, 2018 - 05:42 PM UTC
Thanks for the replies Tim. I'm going to have to source some CA accelerator and give it another shot. And actually I had more in mind the rollers you talked about, I just didn't know the name for them. So I learned two things tonight.
Thanks
John
YellowHammer
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 554 posts
Model Shipwrights: 219 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 23, 2018 - 08:38 AM UTC
Hi Guys,
Well I finally got the Felucca finished. It's been a little fighter all the way. Tim, I was able to get some accelerator at our local Hobby Lobby, which helped me quite a bit. I had to deal with a final poor decision I made during construction which gave me all sorts of trouble in completing the rigging. I had set both masts before rigging. Even with accelerator for my CA glue and fine needle nose tweezers for the thread, I could not get between the masts to set the stays. After numerous attempts I came up with the idea of using fine wire for the stays. I used 0.015mm brass wire, painted black. I used a couple of loops of black thread at the top of the mast to cover the wire ends, and I didn't have to worry about keeping tension while the glue dried. I used a natural color thread for the running rigging. I know the rigging isn't complete, but gives an idea of what's involved in sailing the ship.

I've provided a few final photos below. Sorry for the crappy photo quality.

I've enjoyed this build and learned a lot. I appreciate all the comments and advice you all provided; it helped a lot. I would appreciate any final thoughts you might have.

Good luck and keep building!
John

d6mst0
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,925 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,298 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 23, 2018 - 02:09 PM UTC
Sweet looking ship. Hats off to anyone that would take on a sailing ship.

Mark
TimReynaga
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 2,500 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,830 posts
Posted: Friday, August 24, 2018 - 07:25 AM UTC
Hi John,

I really like your completed Felucca. We are all our own worst critics, and I'm sure you see only the flaws, but I think you have met the various challenges of this vintage kit quite credibly. I especially like your rigid wire solution to the standing rigging - simple and effective. No build is perfect, but my view is that you have produced a colorful, graceful, and very appealing little model of which you can justly be proud!

RussellE
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 3,959 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,777 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 26, 2018 - 09:51 AM UTC
John congrats on such a neat little build.

Can only echo what Mark and Tim said.

Thanks for sharing, so good to see something a little bit off the beaten path.

Look forward to seeing what you've got planned next!
 _GOTOTOP