_GOTOBOTTOM
Ships by Class/Type: Battleships
Topics from the Dreadnaught era to modern day.
Hosted by Steve Joyce
Lindberg Bismarck
misanthrope
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 15 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 10, 2018 - 02:05 PM UTC
My daughter bought me the old Lindberg Bismarck kit. Has anyone tried adding photo-etch details to this kit? It's marked as 350 scale but may be more like 385 scale. I should probably just build it OOB but it's dreadfully oversimplified. I usually build 1:35 scale armor so ships are a bit of a departure for me.
TimReynaga
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 2,500 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,830 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 10, 2018 - 02:56 PM UTC
You could probably slap some photoetch on the Lindberg Bismarck, but honestly, it is something of a 'lipstick on a pig' type situation. Assemble it, sail it on the local pond with your daughter, have fun... but for a decent larger scale Bismarck I'd go with the Tamiya or Revell 1/350 version.
PzDave
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 319 posts
Model Shipwrights: 18 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 10, 2018 - 04:40 PM UTC
I call this a "Memory Build". My close friend who was stationed in Moscow during when Yuri Andropov was in charge and he was with the "State Department" brought me back a 1/30th scale KV-85 model. To call it a scale model (in the 1980's was a stretch. More like a motorized toy. I left out the battery/wires and gears. If you don't look too close it can be a scale tank model.
I finally started it and finished it this year. My friend passed away from cancer three years ago so he never saw it. Build the ship model. Have your daughter watch you build it. Enjoy the build. And display it. It just may be the best kit you will have ever built. She will never forget it. My guess is that she does not build kits. Just my thoughts.
 _GOTOTOP