_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
Ahoy mates! Unsung Sisters Campaign begins!
garrybeebe
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 1,969 posts
Model Shipwrights: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 23, 2004 - 03:43 AM UTC
So pop that sprue bag open , grab your glue and #11 blade. Its time to Party with plastic!
My Hasegawa 1/700 USS Alabama Battleship will hit the bench today.
Welcome to the Campaign Mates!

Regards,

Garry
warlock0322
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,036 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 23, 2004 - 07:46 AM UTC
Gary:

If your Alabama is the their waterline series I am the same building the same one. By any chance did you get Big Maimie"s stern letters in yours??!!!! #:-)

The keel is laid and hopefully pics will be up soon..

Paul
warlock0322
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, March 23, 2004 - 08:11 AM UTC
I am always interested in photos of these great old battlewagons.... I have a bunch of Big Maimie pics from various sites and would be curious to see the differances close up...

Paul
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,000 posts
Model Shipwrights: 453 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 23, 2004 - 12:16 PM UTC
Howdy Bob!

I don't know what your talkin' about......those are great pics! I just can't believe you didn't include one with your post to 'whet' people's appetite.
So, I'll do it for ya!

Are you the one in the red T?

And as to the weather being bad.......well, from my perspective, I am grateful. Your "bad weather" pics gave me an idea of what it must have looked like to have served on her during her time 'at sea'!........really..........Thx!

Tread.
garrybeebe
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
Posted: Tuesday, March 23, 2004 - 01:39 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Gary:

If your Alabama is the their waterline series I am the same building the same one. By any chance did you get Big Maimie"s stern letters in yours??!!!! #:-)

The keel is laid and hopefully pics will be up soon..

Paul

Howdy Paul,
Yep I am building the same waterline kit as you. And yes, Just checked and my kit has 2 sets of each for the BB-57 and BB-60. Do you need some? I have three of these kits! Let me know, you can have them.

Cheers,

Garry
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Tuesday, March 23, 2004 - 03:37 PM UTC

I think I heard on the 'Dr Laura' radio show, that people who build ' waterline' model ships are just simply afraid of the water!

What do you guys think? #:-) #:-)

Tread.

Of course, the rumour floating around is that the modeler's who choose not to build full-hull ships, are just hooked on the 'half-empty' glass perception...........
garrybeebe
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
Posted: Tuesday, March 23, 2004 - 05:37 PM UTC
Well Tread, one thing about waterline ships is, you dont have to worry about torpedo's !

Cheers,

Garry
BlueBear
Visit this Community
Idaho, United States
KitMaker: 414 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 23, 2004 - 07:44 PM UTC
Do my ears hear the strains of "Tiny Bubbles"? :-)
Graywolf
Staff MemberSenior Editor
HISTORICUS FORMA
Visit this Community
Izmir, Turkey / Türkçe
KitMaker: 6,405 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 24, 2004 - 02:48 AM UTC
I am not a ship modeler,just a poor diorama builder :-) but I always follow your posts and models staying silent here .I wanted to wish good luck and happy modelling for your campaign.
GO SAILORS
warlock0322
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, March 24, 2004 - 03:34 AM UTC
Gary thanks for the offer, but I have the same ones..... I was hoping you might have been able to get your hands on 1/700 scale lettering of the Massachusetts in your kit. But alas your kit has the same letterings as mine.. See the Group build- Atlantic thread... lol

Question I do have for ya though Gary is how are or are you going to put the blast Bags on your Alabama?? I have got Mike Ashley's book and am leaning toward the tin foil mehtod myself but am open to suggestions if there is an easier way....

Now Tread.... Obviously Dr Laura has never had to cut a hull down to waterline level.It isn't the fear of water. It is the fear of ummmmmmm Dremel slip. #:-)

Seriously though these are the first waterline kits I am doing. Not to mention 1/700.. I am used to 1/350... So we'll see how bad my eyes are crossed when I am done.... OK back to sniffing glue and Paint fumes....

Great pics Bob thanks for posting them....... Love those pics makes me want to take a drive up to Fall River and Big Mamie and company in person.......

Paul
garrybeebe
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
Posted: Wednesday, March 24, 2004 - 04:15 AM UTC
Hey Paul,
I like to use white glue(elmers) to form my blast bags. Use a toothpic to put little drops around the base of the barrels, let it dry and keep building it up that way. You can move it around while its still wet and form it. Then after its done paint it up. this works good for me, and its flexible!

HTH

Garry
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,221 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,821 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 24, 2004 - 05:10 AM UTC

Quoted Text

people who build ' waterline' model ships are just simply afraid of the water

Seems to me that it's the other way around. I HATE the waterline only ships, like my Indianapolis and Chokai, becauser you have to make water for them to look decent. I much prefer full hull ships that can be displayed without water.

Besides Tread, we all know you don't care what a model looks like, as long as it's BIG. :-)

BlueBear
Visit this Community
Idaho, United States
KitMaker: 414 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 24, 2004 - 06:35 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Gary thanks for the offer, but I have the same ones..... I was hoping you might have been able to get your hands on 1/700 scale lettering of the Massachusetts in your kit. But alas your kit has the same letterings as mine.. See the Group build- Atlantic thread... lol

Question I do have for ya though Gary is how are or are you going to put the blast Bags on your Alabama?? I have got Mike Ashley's book and am leaning toward the tin foil mehtod myself but am open to suggestions if there is an easier way....

Now Tread.... Obviously Dr Laura has never had to cut a hull down to waterline level.It isn't the fear of water. It is the fear of ummmmmmm Dremel slip. #:-)

Seriously though these are the first waterline kits I am doing. Not to mention 1/700.. I am used to 1/350... So we'll see how bad my eyes are crossed when I am done.... OK back to sniffing glue and Paint fumes....

Great pics Bob thanks for posting them....... Love those pics makes me want to take a drive up to Fall River and Big Mamie and company in person.......

Paul

Another thing you might try, if you can get your hands on a few sheets of decal paper for copiers, is to go to a printing outfit like Kinkos. If you can figure out the end height of the lettering you want, they might be able to reduce it down on their computer driven copiers
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 24, 2004 - 12:47 PM UTC
Hey guys, finally got my computer back after two weeks in shop did you even miss me? Anyway, got the red paint put on my "Anson". Plan to start looking at assembly this weekend. Finishing last tidbits on my tank for the M-1 campaign.
garrybeebe
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
Posted: Wednesday, March 24, 2004 - 01:43 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hey guys, finally got my computer back after two weeks in shop did you even miss me? Anyway, got the red paint put on my "Anson". Plan to start looking at assembly this weekend. Finishing last tidbits on my tank for the M-1 campaign.

Yes Steve I noticed you went amiss! I was hopeing you would not miss out on the Campaign. But it sounds like you were on the ball and already started. Welcome back, Computers can be a pain!

Cheers,

Garry
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Thursday, March 25, 2004 - 12:20 PM UTC

Quoted Text

".... did you even miss me?....."

Heck Blaster.....I noticed you were away....I was just hoping your better half sold you to a passing Gypsy tribe is all!..... #:-)

Tread.
 _GOTOTOP