_GOTOBOTTOM
Ships by Class/Type: Battleships
Topics from the Dreadnaught era to modern day.
Hosted by Steve Joyce
Flyhawk 1/700 Bismarck - finished
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Model Shipwrights: 833 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 13, 2019 - 06:23 AM UTC
This is Flyhawk's 1/700 Deluxe version Bismarck as during the Battle of Denmark Straight, about to deliver a broadside to HMS Hood. Really nice detail for small scale. I substituted Hawk Graphics flag decals for the kit's as I didn't want to fiddle with the DIY swastikas on the Cartograph flags - and Hawk has admiral's flags on their sheet.

suikmoto
Visit this Community
Tartu, Estonia
KitMaker: 152 posts
Model Shipwrights: 57 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 13, 2019 - 07:38 AM UTC
Looking good, I like the smoke and wake. Colour scheme seems on point and nicely weathered.
However, by what I know the jackstaff and flagstaff were removed before heading to Atlantic.
Otherwise terrific build.
Are the anchor chains aftermarket?
How was the fit? I'm waiting for the kit aswell to accompany Tamiya Prince of Wales and can't wait for it to arrive, but it seems to be on slowboat from China, ironically.
TimReynaga
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 2,500 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,830 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 13, 2019 - 12:55 PM UTC
Nice job. I like the smoke and dynamic ocean effects.
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Monday, January 14, 2019 - 04:06 AM UTC
Hmmm...flagstaffs were a detail I overlooked - just took it for granted they were still there. I'll have to check my refs again. Not a problem to pull them off and retouch, if necessary. As usual, fit of Flyhawk kits is perfect, and snug...no wobbly fits, and no putty required anywhere. However, I did notice that some long pieces (the weather decks) had a VERY slight banana curvature, and needed to be clamped down with spring clothes pins to the main deck while the glue dried - a very minor price to pay for a great kit! The anchor chain is some very fine chain I had lying around...it's not studded anchor chain, and it might be a tad over-size, but I felt the PE chain with the kit was a little under-sized, and too flat.
FYI...Flyhawk POW is far superior to Tamiya's. I have both and no amount of AM will improve Tamiya to Flyhawk level.
Kits from China typically take 1 - 2 months. Sometimes annoying, but well worth the big savings!
Quincannon
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 275 posts
Model Shipwrights: 273 posts
Posted: Monday, January 14, 2019 - 05:53 AM UTC
I really love what you did with the Baltic stripes, showing them visible through the paint that was meant to cover them up, and partially washed off due to the effects of the sea, and allowing no proper drying time prior to Bismarck putting to sea for her first and final combat mission.

Perhaps you can answer a question for me? Hawk Graphics/Resin Shipyard being a Canadian firm, would you know if they are still in business. They are the only source I know of for white shaded USN bow numbers in 1/1200/1250 scale, which is a scale I work in at least 50 percent of the time.

Free Time down in Georgia carries Flyhawk models, that would probably get to you in four or five days. if you find you have a Flyhawk itch, you need to scratch in a hurry. Not at the same price of course, but considering the quality of their kits, not all that bad.

I would love to see what Flyhawk could do with models of HMS Legion and USS Ward in 1/350 scale using the same format of optional water line or full hull.
suikmoto
Visit this Community
Tartu, Estonia
Posted: Monday, January 14, 2019 - 10:13 AM UTC
Indeed, flyhawks PoW seems superior to tamiyas. That i built without any PE, just some scratched railings and detail on masts, railings got some "encouragement" aswell.
There is PE anchor chain included? Good to know, was already worried about getting the decal over moulded on chains-to later paint it over. And it cant be worse than moulded on chain.
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Monday, January 14, 2019 - 12:06 PM UTC
@ Chuck; Hawk Graphics seem to be still alive and well, and you order direct from them:
http://www.hawk-graphics.com/
I order occasionally from Free Time, but with the shipping and exchange rate (25%), ordering most Chinese kits from China is a lot cheaper. And they both take about the same amount of time to arrive.

@ Karl; There is molded-on anchor chain on the forecastle which you have to remove if you are going to use a wood deck, or PE or AM chain.
d6mst0
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,925 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,298 posts
Posted: Monday, January 14, 2019 - 01:36 PM UTC
Great job with kit and water effects, the water looks cold.

It looks like you have the AAA guns deployed or where they stored that way pointing in the air?

I seen the video of the Bismark firing her main guns but I always wondered if she had her secondary gun swung out and ready for action during her fight with the Hood and Prince of Wales?
surfsup
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 1,230 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,212 posts
Posted: Monday, January 14, 2019 - 06:50 PM UTC
Beautiful job on her. I am building her in 350 from Tamiya. The detail on your Kit far outstrips quite a few Kits twice her size.....Cheers Mark
suikmoto
Visit this Community
Tartu, Estonia
Posted: Monday, January 14, 2019 - 09:20 PM UTC
Is there or is there not a PE chain included?
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Thursday, February 14, 2019 - 12:21 PM UTC

Quoted Text

It looks like you have the AAA guns deployed or where they stored that way pointing in the air?

I was using one of the final pics of Bismarck, taken from Prinz Eugen, a few hours after the Battle of Denmark Straight as main reference. The 105 mm batteries were elevated, although not much chance of an air attack at that time. I would assume that AA guns would be elevated when stowed as most air attacks would be coming from above.
robinsonm
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 35 posts
Model Shipwrights: 29 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 14, 2019 - 10:04 PM UTC
great work
 _GOTOTOP