_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
working deck seams
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 27, 2004 - 09:52 AM UTC
i missed out responding to the posts about trying to hide the deck seams on ships. I posed that question several months ago on the ship website. Got some interesting tips. One was to use thinned out white putty. Thin it with fingernail polish remover (acetone) someone else recommended something called Mr finisher which fills in small seams and sort of cleans up with water. I plan to try the Mr. Finisher on the unsung sisters campaign 350 scale KG V class ship. The big test will be on that big Enterprise kit waiting in the wings. Most pointed out that the styrene brace piece was highly recomended
BlueBear
Visit this Community
Idaho, United States
KitMaker: 414 posts
Model Shipwrights: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 28, 2004 - 08:05 PM UTC
Most of your deck seam will probably be covered by the superstructure and the seaplane rails/boat deck, so your problem might not be as bad as you think. You can use regular pully, thinned down and applied with a toothpick for the rest. Use a new curved X-acto blade to clean up once its dry.
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Monday, March 29, 2004 - 11:33 AM UTC
Well, I'm just at that stage. have glued on the 3 deck pieces adding the bits of sheet styrene for support. Looks like the testors glue did a pretty good job of filling in the seams and the tight fit of the sections added to it. Almost don't need any filling, plan to use that Mr Finisher stuff on it
SonOfAVet
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 547 posts
Model Shipwrights: 132 posts
Posted: Monday, March 29, 2004 - 05:30 PM UTC
What about rescribing the deck lines? This seems to be mybane for deck work currently...

Sean
 _GOTOTOP